Green, Gold, Platinum <--> Green, Gold, Platinum

CREDIT
Delta (G,P,R) --> Simply Cash
Print Wikipost

USA card product conversions...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA DL
Amex plat is a charge card which can only be converted to another charge card. Currently, every Amex charge card carries a fee (Green, Gold, Plat)
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Converted a SPG to Hilton long ago and it was nightmare. Front of statement said Hilton and end of statement said SPG. I was getting neither Hilton or SPG.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:36 pm

I'm guessing this thread may get a little busier as people start to look for a way to keep their old Amex cards for free forever, since new ones no longer backdate.

I just called (HUCA x3) and chatted with Amex about my SPG personal card, and unlike the data points upthread, they all said there were no options of cards that it could be converted to. The card has been open just over 1 year, so it's eligible for a PC. There just don't seem to be any cards that it can be PCed to.

Anybody else have any recent data points on converting an SPG (or any personal card)? Like I said, with the new changes to their backdating rules, this is going to become a pretty hot topic. We may even need to start a wiki of options for each card.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
AAoA doesn't affect your score near as much as utilization (30%) and payment history (30%). Its more than likely not worth it to the majority of people out there. I would do a product change when I have 4 already not to avoid AAoA changes. YMMV
Old May 3, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
Not sure if this might be useful for you. I changed by business spg card to simply cash business credit card last oct/nov.

Originally Posted by bobert24
I'm guessing this thread may get a little busier as people start to look for a way to keep their old Amex cards for free forever, since new ones no longer backdate.

I just called (HUCA x3) and chatted with Amex about my SPG personal card, and unlike the data points upthread, they all said there were no options of cards that it could be converted to. The card has been open just over 1 year, so it's eligible for a PC. There just don't seem to be any cards that it can be PCed to.

Anybody else have any recent data points on converting an SPG (or any personal card)? Like I said, with the new changes to their backdating rules, this is going to become a pretty hot topic. We may even need to start a wiki of options for each card.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Tibs
AAoA doesn't affect your score near as much as utilization (30%) and payment history (30%). Its more than likely not worth it to the majority of people out there. I would do a product change when I have 4 already not to avoid AAoA changes. YMMV
Depends on your credit history and how hard you're churning. I've had 28 cards, but 26 of those have been within the past 2 years. I had just two cards for the decade before that, and one was an Amex. The ability to throw in a couple 10-year-old cards with a round of 0-year-old ones really made a huge difference. Obviously the impact on your score isn't anything enormous, but not having an AAoA of 8 months does seem to help on applications (at least manual recons).
Old May 3, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
Not sure if this might be useful for you. I changed by business spg card to simply cash business credit card last oct/nov.
Definitely good to know. Thanks.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by bobert24
Depends on your credit history and how hard you're churning. I've had 28 cards, but 26 of those have been within the past 2 years. I had just two cards for the decade before that, and one was an Amex. The ability to throw in a couple 10-year-old cards with a round of 0-year-old ones really made a huge difference. Obviously the impact on your score isn't anything enormous, but not having an AAoA of 8 months does seem to help on applications (at least manual recons).
Ok, I'll give you that one.
Old May 4, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I wish I could product change my Platinum card to something without a fee. I hate Amex no longer backdates new cards to your earliest date, because if I had known that was going away, I would have applied for a Everyday card prior to that change.

The Plat card shows up as a 32 year old account on my credit report.

I assume it's impossible to get it downgraded to something like an everyday and keep the open date, correct?
Old May 4, 2015, 7:02 pm

if you convert a card ie. PRG->platinum and didnt get any bonus points, but then you close the platinum... are you able to get any future sign on bonuses for the platinum?
Old May 5, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by zorbachs
I wish I could product change my Platinum card to something without a fee. I hate Amex no longer backdates new cards to your earliest date, because if I had known that was going away, I would have applied for a Everyday card prior to that change.

The Plat card shows up as a 32 year old account on my credit report.

I assume it's impossible to get it downgraded to something like an everyday and keep the open date, correct?
I think your options for downgrading the Platinum card will be limited to other charge cards (Green, Gold, PRG).
Old May 6, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ddallas
I think your options for downgrading the Platinum card will be limited to other charge cards (Green, Gold, PRG).
That's what I believe to be the case too. I'll ask about it when I call in and a possible retention, but I just don't know if I want to keep all these cards with fees if I'm not really benefiting much from what they offer, like now with my traveling so sporadic nowadays.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:44 pm

New Wiki

I was linked to this thread after looking around myself - figured I'd start the Wiki - first one of those I've started, so go easy

Not sure its organized the best, but I started a couple in there from recent calls I've made. Feel free to delete and redo

- I agree with bobert24 upthread - with preserving age of accounts (new Amex rule on new cards), as well what appears to be a new Chase 5 year "rule" or "policy" for total new cards in that time frame, product changes for fee/benefits/etc will be more important, so helpful to build this out.

Last edited by levilevi; Jun 16, 2015 at 4:47 pm Reason: added Chase
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Not sure if this is an "official" PC thread or not, but here's my experience:

I no longer need my Delta Platinum American Express, so I IM'd AMEX saying that I'd like to downgrade and here were my results. I don't plan to use the card but want the card open date on my file.

They gave me a list of cards I could PC to:

Delta Gold - $95
Delta Reserve - $450
Starwood - $65
Hilton HHonors - No AF
Hilton HHonors Surpass - $75

There was no Delta Options card with no AF; they said they discontinued it. Since my spend is on other cards and I want to keep the account open date (for longer than 10 years), I asked them to PC to Hilton HHonors.

Just as an FYI...I had read people saying that some cards could only PC to same product line, but my Delta Plat had SPG and Hilton cards offered as well. I was hoping to get a Delta Options (just so I could remember this was a Delta card, and also to complement my AA Bronze as a dust collector) but no luck. Oh well!

Last edited by pritomd; Jul 1, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd
I no longer need my Delta Platinum American Express, so I IM'd AMEX saying that I'd like to downgrade and here were my results. I don't plan to use the card but want the card open date on my file.

They gave me a list of cards I could PC to:

Delta Gold - $95
Delta Reserve - $450
Starwood - $65
Hilton HHonors - No AF
Hilton HHonors Surpass - $75
I updated wiki

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.