Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining MR points from Amex cards from different countries (USA and RSA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I recently discovered that the South African Amex platinum earns 3 membership reward points per 10 Rand spend (3 MR for slightly less than $1 US) so am contemplating signing up for that card and wondering if the membership rewards points combine with my US MRs from US amex gold.

I was wondering if anyone else has amex cards from two different countries, and are you able to combine your membership rewards into a single account, or do they remain separate?

The transfer partners for the South Africa membership rewards plan are different from those of the US Amex cards, so I suspect that the answer to my question is no.

Thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
You can combine but they get converted at the FX rate, so each ZA MR point would become ~1/11 of a US MR point.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks stevenshev! That makes it allot less attractive of an offer. It did seem a bit too good to be true.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 3:45 am

Sounds like it would be a great deal in the other direction if they use the exchange rate... 10 South African MR points for one US one.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: JGC Sapphire
Even if FX rate is taken into consideration, shouldn't AMEX consider the fact that
10 Rand=3MR
11 Rand=US$1
So the 3.3 RAND MR = 1 US MR?

Otherwise we would be seeing people rushing into changing US MR to JP MR...(as based on FX it would become 112 times more MR point) while airline partner`s exchange rate remains the same...1MR=1 Mile
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
One cannot open an American Express card in another country just to take advantage of rewards arbitrage opportunity, the applicant needs to meet the eligibility criteria in that country, typically including residency. The ability to transfer points from one national program to another is undocumented. There are reports that some transfer requests have been declined.

If Membership Rewards points are earned in multiples of 100 yen I would expect American Express to reflect that in the calculation, but we would need a report from someone who has actually made such a transfer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.