Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion DL Platinum Medallion status changes from "earned" to "complimentary" 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion DL Platinum Medallion status changes from "earned" to "complimentary" 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by Centurion
Like other airlines if you have two plats in a Battle field upgrade if everything else was equal Butt in Seat miles come into play so a complimentary plat would not get an upgrade against a earned plat
I fly Delta all the time as a Diamond and if you read the Delta forum, I think your information is incorrect. Generally, I think as two plats with everything equal, the upgrade priority first goes to that person in the (a) higher fare class; (b) then if the same, to that person who may have a DL AMEX Reserve Card; (c) and then in the last case, to the person with the earlier time of ticketing; I don't think BIS or Million Miler status plays any role.

I guess we all fall victim to the grass is always greener syndrome--that is, we always complain about what we don't have, without counting our blessings about our own benefits-- with an overseas Cent, I have been annoyed I don't have automatic DL Plat status, and am often sorry I cannot convert back to the US card market after living overseas. I have also resented that DL rewards its own multi million milers with less than 4 million miles with merely lifetime Gold status. Then again, for the last many years I have had Diamond status based on flying patterns so the issue of DL Plat has been moot. I keep hoping DL Plat will eventually come to some of the overseas Cent markets. Currently I have Virgin Atlantic Gold with my overseas Cent and perhaps sometime the Virgin Atlantic and the DL programs will eventually merge with the cooperation and partial ownership issues. Then again, we each look at what we do not have without considering the advantages of what we do--the Virgin reward mileage levels are much lower and more available than Delta's so that program has many advantages over sky miles. With the overseas Cent, I also appreciated having the CX Diamond status the last couple years, which I regret is going away because I sincerely enjoyed using the AA Flagship Lounge in LAX and NYC and the BA Galleries First lounges at US locations whenever I took domestic AA flights. It was also an outstanding touch that the main AA phone number would recognize my One World Emerald status and always send me to the Executive Platinum line when I had questions about my flight reservations. My overseas Cent also provides an annual 100K MR bonus and the Priority Pass for me and my additional cardholders allows access to the UA lounges (since my Cent is not US-issued) so we all deal with the trade off of benefits in our respective card markets. So I guess I should appreciate the benefits I do enjoy and not forget them when I see look on some of the U.S. bennies such as the guaranteed DL Plat and Hertz Plat which I do not receive. Of course the complimentary Hertz CDW on the overseas Cent/Plat CDPs is a nice touch also not available in the U.S. market. I talked a German Plat card holder friend into booking one of those European AMEX rates for an Orlando pick up last fall and was in the car when he slammed into a hotel parking lot pillar backing up; he was grateful he could walk away from that mishap without even filing a claim through AMEX.

Last edited by LAXRuss; Apr 5, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I agree. I'm pretty sure BIS miles have nothing to do with upgrades, or if they do, it's way down the list. Fare class is the first thing they look at for comp upgrades if there is a tie in status.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
I actually fail to see the value proposition of the Cent. anymore! With all the 'ENHANCEMENTS', I thought the only real upside was the DL PM status, hopefully even DM soon considering the loss of US Airways PLT. But I guess I was wrong!!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
I actually fail to see the value proposition of the Cent. anymore! With all the 'ENHANCEMENTS', I thought the only real upside was the DL PM status, hopefully even DM soon considering the loss of US Airways PLT. But I guess I was wrong!!
Well, the only thing you don't get is the choice benefit. It's not a positive change, certainly, but not the primary thing that people want to be DL Platinum for.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:57 pm

You can buy Delta private jet card for $100,000 to +$250,000usd and get Delta Diamond status when you fly commercial
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by buffcoat
Well, the only thing you don't get is the choice benefit. It's not a positive change, certainly, but not the primary thing that people want to be DL Platinum for.
I might be wrong, but aren't you behind regular Platinums on the UG list, if you have this 'lite' version of PM?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
...aren't you behind regular Platinums on the UG list, if you have this 'lite' version of PM?
Scroll back to post 43 and read forward. This topic was just discussed in another thread, but I have transferred the posts here because it seems to be a better fit.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
For next year my father would qualify for earned Delta Gold Medallion on his own. Since he has the Centurion card, when he receives complimentary Platinum status would he really receive no mileage bonus, or at least a Gold mileage bonus since he would have earned that himself?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dmorbust
For next year my father would qualify for earned Delta Gold Medallion on his own. Since he has the Centurion card, when he receives complimentary Platinum status would he really receive no mileage bonus, or at least a Gold mileage bonus since he would have earned that himself?
If he is Platinum, then he gets the bonus. And as he probably has flown 8 legs he is full Platinum with all the associated benefits.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by stimpy
If he is Platinum, then he gets the bonus. And as he probably has flown 8 legs he is full Platinum with all the associated benefits.
thank you
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Asking fellow Amex cardholders here because this is the only thread I can find regarding Centurion.

So I have flown just a bit over 50,000 miles on Delta this year, but my DL status is still showing Platinum and not Diamond (Platinum requires 75000 and Diamond requires 125000). I have gone out of my way just to fly SkyTeam and to put miles on Delta, even if the tickets cost more, sometimes much more (and inferior *ahem* China Eastern). I do not have the MQD requirement since I used my Tokyo address. It has been over 2 months now and it is still showing Platinum.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I am very upset. I have contacted Amex regarding this and even though they have been extremely nice, they have not been helpful, only getting an email with a generic Delta Platinum benefit blah blah. I called Delta and was told that my 2017 medallion level only qualifies me for Gold, so I hung up right away. Confused.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by cce5858
Asking fellow Amex cardholders here because this is the only thread I can find regarding Centurion.

So I have flown just a bit over 50,000 miles on Delta this year, but my DL status is still showing Platinum and not Diamond (Platinum requires 75000 and Diamond requires 125000). I have gone out of my way just to fly SkyTeam and to put miles on Delta, even if the tickets cost more, sometimes much more (and inferior *ahem* China Eastern). I do not have the MQD requirement since I used my Tokyo address. It has been over 2 months now and it is still showing Platinum.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I am very upset. I have contacted Amex regarding this and even though they have been extremely nice, they have not been helpful, only getting an email with a generic Delta Platinum benefit blah blah. I called Delta and was told that my 2017 medallion level only qualifies me for Gold, so I hung up right away. Confused.
The Cent card gets you Plat status on Delta. However, it does not give you "credit" for having flown 75k miles. So, the only way to get Diamond status is to actually fly 125k miles.

Flying the difference between the given status and Diamond won't get you Diamond status. This is how it has always been when they used to give status on Continental, US Airways, etc.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
The Cent card gets you Plat status on Delta. However, it does not give you "credit" for having flown 75k miles. So, the only way to get Diamond status is to actually fly 125k miles.

Flying the difference between the given status and Diamond won't get you Diamond status. This is how it has always been when they used to give status on Continental, US Airways, etc.
Oh no........ This year I happened to fly around 60k miles, and I put 50k on DL in hopes of getting Diamond. What you say makes sense. I was always wondering why when I got the Platinum status last year that my MQM was so low. So mad now.

Last edited by cce5858; Nov 24, 2016 at 12:25 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:08 am

Did all of my comments get moved here?

Last edited by cce5858; Nov 24, 2016 at 12:25 am
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator explanation.

Originally Posted by cce5858
Did all of my comments get moved here?
Yes. Typically I leave a link from your new thread to the new location of the posts, but that expires after a few days. Sorry for the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.