Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX USA minimum time between applications?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Simultaneous Amex [USA] applications: one processed, one delayed 5 days.

Since there is a limitation that one can apply for one cards in 90 days,

so can we apply for 2 cards at the same time to get both approved?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
I was able last year to apply for Platinum for Business and Delta Skymiles Platinum at same time. Approval for both in minutes. Dealt directly with CSR.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
... limitation that one can apply for one cards in 90 days, so can we apply...
I am not aware of a one card per 90 day rule. Who are "we"? If you are a couple each of you can apply apply for a card without regard to what the other may apply for. If you are a company the business card application will be primarily based on your personal credit.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I am not aware of a one card per 90 day rule. Who are "we"? If you are a couple each of you can apply apply for a card without regard to what the other may apply for. If you are a company the business card application will be primarily based on your personal credit.
Sorry, by "we" I mean Myself....
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
Key word being "better", I don't think you have a better chance. You'll get what you get and the credit limit/exposure will probably just be split anyway between the two from what you proabably would get by applying for one only.

i.e. [spg approved for $20k] or [spg approved for $10k + Delta approved for $10k]

If they feel you slipped through the cracks they'll end up closing or reducing the account/limit anyway.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SectionChief
Key word being "better", I don't think you have a better chance. You'll get what you get and the credit limit/exposure will probably just be split anyway between the two from what you proabably would get by applying for one only.

i.e. [spg approved for $20k] or [spg approved for $10k + Delta approved for $10k]

If they feel you slipped through the cracks they'll end up closing or reducing the account/limit anyway.
My concern is that, if I just apply for spg at this moment, then probably I should wait for 90 days to apply for delta. But If a submit two applications of spg and delta at the same time, at this moment, then I have the chance to get both cards approved. Am I right?
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:06 pm

My concern is that, if I just apply for spg at this moment, then probably I should wait for 90 days to apply for delta. But If a submit two applications of spg and delta at the same time, at this moment, then I have the chance to get both cards approved. Am I right?
I don't think it would change your chances in any way. I got an amex card and applied for another about 30 days later and got both. I don't think it is treated any different if you apply for two on the same day or 30, 60, or 90 days apart.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:02 pm

One additional issue is how many credit reports they pull. If you apply for two cards: do they pull two. Years ago when applied for a second one 60 days later they pulled a new one--then later told me that I had too many inquiries: specifically 4 ---in 6 months.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by best
One additional issue is how many credit reports they pull. If you apply for two cards: do they pull two. Years ago when applied for a second one 60 days later they pulled a new one--then later told me that I had too many inquiries: specifically 4 ---in 6 months.
If you apply for two AMEX on one day, it is one pull. If you apply for two on two days it is two pulls.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ddallas
If you apply for two AMEX on one day, it is one pull. If you apply for two on two days it is two pulls.
Then we should apply 2-3 or more cards at the same time???
Old Apr 3, 2010, 5:02 pm

Then we should apply 2-3 or more cards at the same time???
I think you should go for two if there are two that you want. Lots of folks have done that without any problem. I've never had three that I wanted to get on the same day so I have not done that. I can't think of anyone else that has either.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:52 pm

Timing of Amex applications

I have about 8 apps in the last year, 5 in the last six months. Two Amex cards: a Platinum that's 12 months old and an Amex Gold Business that's seven months old.

I'm going to cancel the Platinum to avoid the fee. I want to apply for the SPG offer, which seems to be the best Amex deal out there for me right now. Should I cancel the Platinum first, so I have one fewer Amex when I apply? Or apply for the SPG first and then cancel the Platinum, due to the potential impact of the cancellation on my credit score?

Anything else I may be missing?

Thanks very much. I searched but couldn't find this exact issue.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA GLD, ICHG PLT AMB, Marriott PLT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by pdxflyerguy
Should I cancel the Platinum first, so I have one fewer Amex when I apply? Or apply for the SPG first and then cancel the Platinum, due to the potential impact of the cancellation on my credit score?
I doubt there's often an issue with having too many Amex cards. FWIW I currently have two PLT (regular, then MB to get the 50K bonus), two premier rewards gold (one personal, one business for 20K and 75K bonuses), an SPG and a Corporate Green card. I was honestly a bit surprised they gave me a second PLT, and even more surprised to get the PR Business after that. Four of the six (including both PLT and the business PR Gold) were applications since December.

Assuming you have a reasonable history, I don't think they really care how many total cards you have.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by bookman77
I doubt there's often an issue with having too many Amex cards. FWIW I currently have two PLT (regular, then MB to get the 50K bonus), two premier rewards gold (one personal, one business for 20K and 75K bonuses), an SPG and a Corporate Green card. I was honestly a bit surprised they gave me a second PLT, and even more surprised to get the PR Business after that. Four of the six (including both PLT and the business PR Gold) were applications since December.

Assuming you have a reasonable history, I don't think they really care how many total cards you have.
It's obviously your choice, but I would have waited until the first Plat was almost expired to get the MB Plat. The bonus points are nice, but the card benefits are too - by spacing them out you get two years of lounge access (and other card perks) rather than one.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by pdxflyerguy
Should I cancel the Platinum first, so I have one fewer Amex when I apply? Or apply for the SPG first and then cancel the Platinum, due to the potential impact of the cancellation on my credit score?
I can't see how it would matter either way for the cards you mention. Just do what is most convenient for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.