Wiki Posts
Search

How to Contact AMEX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
How to Contact AMEX?

My starwoods business card was just declined trying to purchase an award ticket $5 USD on BA.com. I used it at Walmart earlier today without issue... and amazon an hour ago. Like most of us I travel a lot and this is the first time I have ever had a charge declined by AMEX and not sure why it happened but would like to find out.

I am in Mexico, skype isn't working as seems to be the case half the time lately, so can't call, and it looks as though they have have taken away chat or secure messaging. I don't have twitter or facebook. How can I contact them to find out the reason why they declined the charge?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
If your card has an International Collect number on the back, you can use a land line, dial the operator with 0, and ask for a collect call to the number. If you're at a hotel, you should make sure they don't charge for collect calls as many hotels do. If they do charge, you could try to find a public phone if it isn't too much trouble.

Also this is from Amex's website so hopefully this number is correct:
How can I call the U.S. Customer Service "collect" when traveling overseas/internationally?
We have made it easy for you to contact us no matter where you are! Simply contact a local operator and request a collect call to the number located on the back of your American Express Card (336-393-1111). If you are using a cell phone and dial the number directly, the call may use your minutes or you could incur roaming charges, so please check with your service provider. The AT&T Direct code can be used if you have the option with your plan.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

I was hoping for some way to contact via internet. Pretty much everyone just uses cell phones here, I don't know anyone off the top of my head with a landline. Oh well, I am going to be in the USA in a couple of days I suppose I will just wait and call them then.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
You could always make a twitter account, but they would still need you to call them to discuss account details.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 6:00 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
My starwoods business card was just declined trying to purchase an award ticket $5 USD on BA.com. I used it at Walmart earlier today without issue... and amazon an hour ago. Like most of us I travel a lot and this is the first time I have ever had a charge declined by AMEX and not sure why it happened but would like to find out.

I am in Mexico, skype isn't working as seems to be the case half the time lately, so can't call, and it looks as though they have have taken away chat or secure messaging. I don't have twitter or facebook. How can I contact them to find out the reason why they declined the charge?
I've used Twitter to request that the initiate a secure chat as recently as last week. Just send the request to @AskAmex, they usually get back to me within 10-15 minutes telling me to follow them so they can DM me the link to chat.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
... declined trying to purchase an award ticket $5 USD on BA.com...
Have you tried to use the card elsewhere after it was "declined"? There are many reasons that a specific transaction may fail, particularly on a weekend when system maintenance is performed. It's very possible that your transaction was never even submitted to American Express.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Just received an email from them saying the CID code was wrong on a recent transaction. Issue solved.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:36 am

My card is issued in Canada, but for what it is worth, I always get an email notification from Amex immediately after a transaction has been declined by Amex themselves. It could very well be that in your case the transaction was not declined by Amex, but just not processed correctly by ba.com. Wouldn't hurt to just try again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.