Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2014?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2014?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:09 am

How to get a Centurion card?

I realize this has been discussed already, but it's been a while... so I wanted to see if there was anything new from people's experience with this card.

First, yes, I am totally trashy. I just want it. I know it's stupidly expensive, not a "good deal" unless one is super wealthy, which I am not... but I have black card envy. Some people buy breast implants; I want the black card.

So I'm curious if anyone has a personal experience with being offered or being approved for this card without the typical spending requirements. I have been an authorized user on amex platinum accounts for a few years. I didn't actually get my own platinum card until this summer, which is when I started having black card envy.

I understand that I will likely need to wait until I've had my account for a year to even ask about the black card, but I'm wondering if I actually "must" spend 250k to qualify. Could I spend that much? I mean, maybe. I don't make enough to spend that much, but there are ways I could possibly do it-- buying friends trips and theatre tickets, etc, and getting paid back... so I could do all that, but it would be a great hassle. I'm curious, however, to know if someone who doesn't spend that much but who just wants to pay the outrageous fees for the privilege of carrying the card would be considered anyway?

Anyone have a story to share?
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by GEO22Olsen
I realize this has been discussed already, but it's been a while...
I have appended your inquiry to the 2014 thread discussing this topic. Note that the $250,000 spend requirement is believed to be obsolete, and there is speculation that the "mix" of spending is at least as important as the dollar volume.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
I realize this has been discussed already, but it's been a while... so I wanted to see if there was anything new from people's experience with this card.

First, yes, I am totally trashy. I just want it. I know it's stupidly expensive, not a "good deal" unless one is super wealthy, which I am not... but I have black card envy. Some people buy breast implants; I want the black card.

So I'm curious if anyone has a personal experience with being offered or being approved for this card without the typical spending requirements. I have been an authorized user on amex platinum accounts for a few years. I didn't actually get my own platinum card until this summer, which is when I started having black card envy.

I understand that I will likely need to wait until I've had my account for a year to even ask about the black card, but I'm wondering if I actually "must" spend 250k to qualify. Could I spend that much? I mean, maybe. I don't make enough to spend that much, but there are ways I could possibly do it-- buying friends trips and theatre tickets, etc, and getting paid back... so I could do all that, but it would be a great hassle. I'm curious, however, to know if someone who doesn't spend that much but who just wants to pay the outrageous fees for the privilege of carrying the card would be considered anyway?

Based on everything you just said, you probably have a better shot at getting hit by lightning or winning the lottery. Well, maybe slightly better odds. There are plenty of people, including myself, that more than "qualify" under the suspected requirement categories that have never been given an invite. They also seem to only give out invites in the first half of the year recently.

Not only that, but they just aren't giving many invites out in the last couple years like they did a few years ago. The general consensus is they've tightened up the requirements. Like mia said, they seem to want to see a diverse spend in categories for luxury items, premium airfares, and even use of Amex-branded travel products like FHR, Amex travel, or concierge. Even if you were to buy anyone and everyone you know business or first tickets around-the-world, they still know who's traveling on those itineraries.

You're about to get a bunch replies from people trying to dissuade you saying it isn't worth it, and while I agree with them, I'm also one of the people like you that just want it for no other reason than to just have it. I meet all the known criteria, and I'm still waiting. Good luck in your pursuit, but don't get yourself into financial trouble trying to get a shiny piece of wallet jewelry.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by blakepilot
I'm also one of the people like you that just want it for no other reason than to just have it. I meet all the known criteria, and I'm still waiting.
ditto with me. I have spent over £500k on my Plat card so far this year, and probably £100k+ on my BA Amex that is linked to the account. This includes entry to high end London clubs, some fairly extravagant hotels and first class long haul air tickets. One month alone I blew £250k... and still no sign of the Cent card
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

OK, I know you have said that you want the Centurion card and that's irrational and just card envy, but let me give you some perspective and food for thought.

It's just a credit card. These days you don't often hand over a card, someone brings you a terminal and you punch in your PIN. Airline tickets and many other things are bought online. Fewer and fewer people actually get to see your card. And do you really want to impress the checkout girl at Whole Foods?

You say you can't afford the spend necessary. In that case, it'll be pretty clear to Amex and you don't have much of a chance. I'm not sure that there is a set amount to spend, but the type of spend is important. Think first/business class air travel, five star hotels and resorts, luxury goods, etc. On a regular and recurring basis. Buying $300,000 of office supplies at Staples and toilet roll at Cosco isn't going to cut it. And you need to have a pretty near perfect credit history with Amex I would imagine.

I had an invite in 2003 or 2004, having been with Amex for well over a dozen years and having made a lot of international premium travel from ca 1995 onwards. I turned it down because even at the time it seemed very expensive and I couldn't quite understand the additional benefits.

Just get whatever card you can an get a black marker out if you really want it to look flash in the wallet. Otherwise just work on building a better credit relationship with Amex.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:11 am

So one thing... I will never be the sort of person who buys premium airfares. I can't imagine, at least, that I would. My job is flexible enough that I can set my own travel dates, and I always, since I'm paying for myself, choose the cheapest fare in coach and upgrade with various elite status programs and miles, etc. I haven't flown in coach in years, but I've literally purchased maybe 3 business or first tickets for myself in my entire life.

I do, however, use my World Elite travel concierge to book hotel rooms, which is a program similar to Amex Platinum, allowing room upgrades, etc. However, I do always elect value in those considerations as well... like I'll book a Junior Suite at rack rate so that I'll wind up in a Suite which is much better value for money than the upgrade from standard to deluxe etc. But I don't spend nearly enough on hotels for myself to really get anyone's attention--- maybe 25-35k a year on room rates? My restaurant spend is much higher-- but should I be booking these restaurants through Amex? I would say restaurants and bars are my highest spending categories. Followed by coach travel, then hotels and retail.

Is there some way I can continue making these same purchases but doing it in a way that Amex earns more from it and therefore they would be more likely to consider me?

Lastly, there are years that I would spend more. When I'm working on a project that finally goes up, I may spend a million or more on my personal cards within a few months, but that doesn't happen every year.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So one thing... I will never be the sort of person who buys premium airfares. I can't imagine, at least, that I would. My job is flexible enough that I can set my own travel dates, and I always, since I'm paying for myself, choose the cheapest fare in coach and upgrade with various elite status programs and miles, etc. I haven't flown in coach in years, but I've literally purchased maybe 3 business or first tickets for myself in my entire life.

I do, however, use my World Elite travel concierge to book hotel rooms, which is a program similar to Amex Platinum, allowing room upgrades, etc. However, I do always elect value in those considerations as well... like I'll book a Junior Suite at rack rate so that I'll wind up in a Suite which is much better value for money than the upgrade from standard to deluxe etc. But I don't spend nearly enough on hotels for myself to really get anyone's attention--- maybe 25-35k a year on room rates? My restaurant spend is much higher-- but should I be booking these restaurants through Amex? I would say restaurants and bars are my highest spending categories. Followed by coach travel, then hotels and retail.

Is there some way I can continue making these same purchases but doing it in a way that Amex earns more from it and therefore they would be more likely to consider me?

Lastly, there are years that I would spend more. When I'm working on a project that finally goes up, I may spend a million or more on my personal cards within a few months, but that doesn't happen every year.
You don't need to book through Amex, just pay with the card.

If you're spending $35,000 a year on hotels, I'd say you're slowly getting there.

If you plan to spend $1m on your personal cards in a few months I would recommend calling ahead to make sure the transaction(s) will go through!
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:04 pm

Programs: Amex mr, spg, delta, aeroplan

no you don't need to spend 250K to qualify for a blackcard, in fact there are many who spend WAY more than that amount and was never offered one.

you just need to be famous
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:59 am

Actually I just want to jump in here and add my two cents (if it's worth that much).

The minimum spending is observed and is mandatory. While it won't trigger an invite alone, it is a requirement.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:37 am

And is that amount 250k, or is it something else now?

Oh yeah... And actually I am still an AU on other amex plat accounts-- I don't spend all that much on those, maybe 50k a year total? Sometimes more, but I'm wondering, will those count toward my spend along with what I spend on my own Amex plat?

Last edited by GEO22Olsen; Sep 21, 2014 at 8:50 am Reason: Forgot something
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: Biz Plat, Biz Cent etc
And is that amount 250k, or is it something else now?

Oh yeah... And actually I am still an AU on other amex plat accounts-- I don't spend all that much on those, maybe 50k a year total? Sometimes more, but I'm wondering, will those count toward my spend along with what I spend on my own Amex plat?
No.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:36 am

Data point

Just a data point for those aiming to get the card. Amex card member for 10 years. Platinum for 4. Spend over the 4 years; 300, 700, 1mm, 1.5mm ytd. Of this spending around 250-300k is on luxury items and balance is on business expenses. I use all the platinum services. I have not received an invite and have called to see if eligible out of curiosity. Got they we will note your file comment. I am not even sure I would take it as the value is marginal at best. I am in Canada.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Is there a business & personal centurion card? If it's a personal card and people are putting reburseble business spending on a personal platinum card wouldn't that throw off the criteria to meet the spending requirement for a cent card? Plus any peion like myself could meet the $250k in spending through MS. There is more to it than that.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: Hil Dia, BA ggl, Amex Plat
Smile Just got my UK cent invite

I just received my invitation. Been Plat for 4 years Im 41 years of age. High spend c.£200k per annum. Mostly business and first class air travel, high end hotels Four Seasons, Ritz, MO, Park hyatt etc the places Amex want to see you spending, proving to those hotels you are a good catch. I also buy a few nice watches and jewellery and spend lots in good restaurants. I use my Amex for everything possible because the security is great and if there is ever a problem they fix it. Use Fhr a bit not all the time because it is a slower booking / cancellation process but in future I'm going to use it more. If you book direct Hotels are mean in upgrading offering free things, just spent 12 days in four seasons Hong Kong (booked direct) no upgrade wouldn't give us a late check out. Taught me a lesson. In August had a dispute with a car rental company big name, couldn't resolve it myself so got Amex involved. Oh my god, it was fixed in an hour, these brands are really respectful of Amex and do what they say. Amex has real influence, that's important. Fees the Cent is £2500 joining and £1800 annual fee versus Plat £450 in the UK. I'll easily get benefit from the extra £1350 fee each year probably 5X (hotel upgrades, flight upgrades, restaurants). The joining fee you just have to swallow it right? Amex do an amazing job in my opinion. I'm very loyal to them. Very happy to be Cent!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by Latouramex
I'll easily get benefit from the extra £1350 fee each year probably 5X (hotel upgrades, flight upgrades, restaurants). !
Congrats on this.

I was interested to know how you worked out the 5x benefit multiplier??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.