Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 12, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
While the specifics of each trip vary, the information required to provide a meaningful answer are always the same:

• Number of passengers
  • Class of service (economy or a premium cabin)
  • Dates
  • Amount of Membership Rewards points and frequent flyer miles available
  • Budget for co-payments (i.e. taxes, fuel surcharges and other fees)

Please also mention the research already performed, the results, and the reason(s) you prefer not to book the options you have located. This will allow others to improve on, rather than repeat, the work you have already done.
Print Wikipost

Travelling between USA/India on MR [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by jonny1
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It depends on whether you want to purchase a cash ticket and use the MR points to defray the cost of the ticket, or whether you want to obtain a frequent-flyer award ticket, which would require that you first transfer the MR points to a particular frequent-flyer program.
if i find a good flight deal to NEPAL US roundtrip on priceline.com, is there a way i can apply the CITI AADVANTAGE MILES or AMEX REWARDS POINTS to pay for the cost of ticket? i have lots of CITI AADVTANGE MILES and AMEX REWARDS POINTS.
You cannot use AA miles to defray the cost of a cash ticket.

You can use Amex MR points to defray the cost of a cash ticket, but I believe that only tickets booked through Amex's travel site qualify. Suggest that you call Membership Rewards customer service if you wish to pursue the pay-with-points option.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:20 pm
Suspended

You can use Amex MR points to defray the cost of a cash ticket, but I believe that only tickets booked through Amex's travel site qualify. Suggest that you call Membership Rewards customer service if you wish to pursue the pay-with-points option.
so amex points has better travel value than advantage miles?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonny1

so amex points has better travel value than advantage miles?
Amex MR points are more versatile than AAdvantage miles, but whether they are more valuable depends on the particular redemption you wish to make.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Silver, PC Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Best Airline to India using MR points

I am planning a trip to India in May of 2012 and I have 160,000 MR points to use. Can anyone recommend the best airline to transfer my points to for the best experience? I am looking for business class most likely. I am really only familiar with Delta and was hoping I could find some better options using my MR points instead of my skymiles.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You may find this thread helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ght-india.html
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Best use of AMEX reward points [India to USA, one-way]

I have 90k Amex reward points. Need to transfer them out by 31st Mar and close out the card. Want to redeem the points for a India to USA one way flight if possible. What are my best options?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Your first step is to determine which transfer partners offer one-way awards (at a reasonable cost). And watch out for fuel surcharges.

Where in India? Where in the U.S.?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
United offers One Way redemptions from BOM and DEL to EWR in Business First for reasonable award points. They will also allow one way redemptions on any other * alliance airline, and let's you mix and match airlines as long as they are * alliance. Ditto BMI Diamond Club, but that airline is being taken over by BA soon and the future if the program is in doubt.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:06 pm
mia

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
United offers One Way redemptions...
...but UA is not a Membership Rewards partner. Do AC, NH, or SQ offer one-way partner awards?

Both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic offer one-way awards, but their fuel surcharges are high.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic offer one-way awards, but their fuel surcharges are high."

I have seen a couple of posts here on FT indicating that when one redeems BA Avios on Royal Jordanian from a point outside Jordan to a point outside Jordan (with a mere connection in AMM), the fees are quite low. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that, but it is certainly worth exploring. Could be a very good use of BA Avios, especially with the current transfer bonus.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I think SQ has one way awards for the same price as round trip awards. If you live in the west coast there are flights from India with a connection to Singapore. Availability's not great but you can check it in SQ's website with a free Krisflyer account.

http://www.singaporeair.com/pdf/ppsc...ts_Mar2012.pdf

This is Singapore's award chart. Keep in mind you do get a 15% discount on miles required for redemptions if you do it online.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Try Cathay Pacific using BA

Try cathay pacific using BA Avios. That way you can get the 50% bonus from Amex to BA. Cathay is great for flying in to the West Coast of US, not sure about their connections to the East Coast of US.

Cathay is 70K (HKG - West Coast) + 15K (India-HKG) in business class.

Good luck
Old Mar 30, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks all. I was asking this for a friend travelling from CCU-EWR/JFK .. seems like he is tilting towards using BA miles towards Royal J flights. Any other ideas are still welcome.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:01 am

Using Membership rewards for travel to India

Hi, I'm new to points and miles. Anyway, I recently told a friend I'd help her figure out how to use her American express membership rewards to travel to India from the NY area. She is going with her mother and they have 136,000 American express points as well as 30,000 hsbc rewards. Anyway after trying to research it myself and getting utterly confused I thought I see if anyone out there in the mile and point community could help! Thanks and any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks! Kara
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:55 am
mia

Welcome to Flyertalk.

It would be helpful to know if the HSBC rewards are the type which can be transferred to British Airways, Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines. If they are it creates the possibility of combining the HSBC and Membership Rewards value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.