Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Amex Plat $200 travel credit?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 3:57 pm

what if I book a hotel just for one night, only $100, will I get $200 back?
Old May 7, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/

"You will have access to a $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit, compliments of your Platinum Card. Use the credit once annually towards any single travel booking of $200 or more charged to your Platinum Card through Platinum Card® Travel Service from Amex Canada Inc."

>> what if I book a hotel just for one night, only $100,

Meaning you will get $0 back.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by nucleosidase
Anyone have experience using the $200 credit for airbnb?
Is there somewhere on airbnb site to input an IATA number? (meaning commission to be paid to the travel agent)
Old May 7, 2014, 11:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by beep88
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/

"You will have access to a $200 CAD Annual Travel Credit, compliments of your Platinum Card. Use the credit once annually towards any single travel booking of $200 or more charged to your Platinum Card through Platinum Card® Travel Service from Amex Canada Inc."

>> what if I book a hotel just for one night, only $100,

Meaning you will get $0 back.
No, you get $200 back. The point is not to book stuff you don't need I just booked the Fairmont Orchid Hawaii that I wanted anyway, so between the $200 rebate and the $100 BMW test drive cash back and the Fairmont suite upgrade, I'm getting a $800/night ocean view suite for $59 + $100 of spa credit and free breakfast. Not entirely terrible.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
and the $100 BMW test drive cash back .
What are the details on this?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:24 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by coleworld
What are the details on this?
There was an unadvertised promo from BMW between October and December of last year to test drive a BMW and get a $100 CAD Fairmont card.

We all went for a drive. Hehe.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
There was an unadvertised promo from BMW between October and December of last year to test drive a BMW and get a $100 CAD Fairmont card.

We all went for a drive. Hehe.
Hah, nice deal, will have to keep an eye out for that again! Thanks Pseudo
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Don't have to be so complicated. You can just book rental cars and cancel it later by calling the car rental company.
From AMEX travel website's car rental section, it states: "Policies - Cancellation of your booking at any time before the day of pick-up will result in a CAD30.00 administration fee."

So do you mean instead of cancelling via AMEX travel, we should contact rental car company to cancel directly? e.g. Avis is a good one to book?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ricedion
From AMEX travel website's car rental section, it states: "Policies - Cancellation of your booking at any time before the day of pick-up will result in a CAD30.00 administration fee."

So do you mean instead of cancelling via AMEX travel, we should contact rental car company to cancel directly? e.g. Avis is a good one to book?
I think booking a car rental via Amex travel website results in immediate charge to your credit card. It's prepaid. So if you want to cancel, you have no choice but to go to Amex.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: *void
Been trying to find the answer with Google searches and coming up empty, so now I turn to the experts!

My understanding is that the online Amex Travel Service has no provision to book a flight while applying a discount code for use at AirCanada.com.

However, is it possible to call the Travel service office and have a an agent/rep to book the flight on my behalf by visiting the AirCanada.com website, and using the discount code? Anyone have any experience with this?

TIA!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
My understanding is that the online Amex Travel Service has no provision to book a flight while applying a discount code for use at AirCanada.com.

However, is it possible to call the Amex Travel service office and have a an agent/rep to book the flight on my behalf by visiting the AirCanada.com website, and using the discount code? Anyone have any experience with this?
I'll answer my post, for the benefit of others who are in similar situation.

I called and spoke to a rep at the Travel service office. You have to log into Amex.ca and book travel online in order to get the travel credits.

Or, you can get a rep to book on your behalf, but it will incur a $100 fee. So, for me this would erode away the savings I would get by using the discount code + $50 travel credit. Didn't make sense for me this time.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Or, you can get a rep to book on your behalf, but it will incur a $100 fee. So, for me this would erode away the savings I would get by using the discount code + $50 travel credit. Didn't make sense for me this time.
Wait a minute... are you saying that bookings done through Amex PTS agents now incur a $100 booking fee? When did this change?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Wait a minute... are you saying that bookings done through Amex PTS agents now incur a $100 booking fee? When did this change?
That's what she told me. Maybe it's specific to my request for her to book on my behalf while visiting AC.com to use the discount code?

Maybe I should've HUACA'd?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
That's what she told me. Maybe it's specific to my request for her to book on my behalf while visiting AC.com to use the discount code?

Maybe I should've HUACA'd?
Maybe, I really don't know. There used to be a $75 (IIRC) charge for booking through PTS, but that went away a few years ago. I'd be pretty peeved if it came back and actually got increased by 30%+
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:03 pm

$100 for non-Platinum card holder to book something at PTS. Was booking tickets for myself and travelling companion. Each person wanted to pay own fare. Free for me, companion not platinum card holder. They asked for $100 if the fare is not charged to my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.