Wiki Posts
Search

Amex [UK] leaked my email...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Amex [UK] leaked my email...

Soo, I'm an AMEX plat cardholder, and AMEX basically emailed me and a lot of other card holders, and used 'cc' rather than 'bcc'. This is annoying anyway in any circumstance, but I'll let my housing association do this as it is run by a bunch of grandmas. However I really don't expect a company like AMEX to be able to do this anyway, let alone do it!

In the UK this is probably a breach of data protection act, but nothing would happen on a one off I imagine and it was only relatively small scale. I'm looking to dump the card anyway with all of its 'devaluation' in the last 12 months, but think its worth trying to get some MR out of them at least.

Anyone had anything similar, or recommend an alternative course of action?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:37 am

Wow...that is really really poor. I hope there were no personal details in the email too!

Was it a general marketing email or targeted email?

Is the email genuine? I sometimes get spoof emails but my junk filter picks those up.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:21 am
Original Poster

No personal details - it was from Lifestyle team about ticket allocations for an event.

Definitely genuine as they admitted it...!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:11 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
No freeloaders, please!

Originally Posted by Sprodo
In the UK this is probably a breach of data protection act, but nothing would happen on a one off I imagine and it was only relatively small scale. I'm looking to dump the card anyway with all of its 'devaluation' in the last 12 months, but think its worth trying to get some MR out of them at least.

Anyone had anything similar, or recommend an alternative course of action?
Although this may be inconvenient this happens sometimes. Not by a large, credit card company like Amex but by smaller business partners.

IMHO the only course of action is to approach the sender in a friendly and not humiliating way. He/She already will know by tons of negative comments that he/she made a fault.

And I see no reason for squeezing out a compensation in form of MR points if you already want to end transactions with them. For me it seems a bit like being a freeloader.

You haven't had any harm and just would like to get a compensation for a minor annoyance. Due to the fact that I treat all business partners with respect squeezing out a compensation for nothing is far beyond all thinkable alternatives.

So no course of action IMHO!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gum
Although this may be inconvenient this happens sometimes. Not by a large, credit card company like Amex but by smaller business partners.

IMHO the only course of action is to approach the sender in a friendly and not humiliating way. He/She already will know by tons of negative comments that he/she made a fault.

And I see no reason for squeezing out a compensation in form of MR points if you already want to end transactions with them. For me it seems a bit like being a freeloader.

You haven't had any harm and just would like to get a compensation for a minor annoyance. Due to the fact that I treat all business partners with respect squeezing out a compensation for nothing is far beyond all thinkable alternatives.

So no course of action IMHO!
I'm far from being an 'ambulance chaser', however it strikes me as crazy that anyone is able to do that. I do not blame the person that did it really, its the fact Amex allow it to happen. Especially when asking people to pay £450 a year, to become a cardholder! I've had some experience in 'email marketing' and know that this kind of information + the background of the people on the list (probably all Amex plat or cent, looked to get tickets for a certain event etc) would be worth a bit of money to sell this information on.

If I don't kick up a fuss, how will things like this ever get fixed!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I would complain to AMEX as even if it is not illegal it is certainly unprofessional. Any company, especially those associated with financial services, has a moral duty of care to look after your data in a secure manner.

I had a similar experience with another household name organisation about 6 months ago - they dealt with it in a very good way by promptly following up the mistake with an apology (on an email using BCC) from the CEO.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Executive club, Membership rewards, Diners Club, El Al Matmid.
I wouldn't be that bothered tbh but that's just me....
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I got the same email. I was just about to email them.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:34 am

The pertinent question really is what lifestyle event did I miss out on??
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:25 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by enda1
The pertinent question really is what lifestyle event did I miss out on??
+1
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Beyonce tour. Had an email from the VP of Lifestyle from EMEA offering a £50 credit on my statement - did not even push this anymore as the girl dealing with my complaint is meant to be off!

Well done Amex, better than some MR points I guess
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Sprodo
Beyonce tour. Had an email from the VP of Lifestyle from EMEA offering a £50 credit on my statement - did not even push this anymore as the girl dealing with my complaint is meant to be off!

Well done Amex, better than some MR points I guess
I was offered the same thing.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might have missed something. Why do you have the need to use a housing association property and an AMEX card.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by origin
... housing association property and an AMEX card.
I don't believe the housing association reference pertains to American Express, but rather the practice of sending emails with a visible CC: recipients list rather than a concealed BCC: list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.