Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum 100k after $3,000 spend or Gold 50k after $1,000 spend [Expired]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Has anyone ever applied and been approved for an Amex while outside the US?
Yes, worked fine, US address, of course.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If one has a Business Gold (not the Business Reward Gold with 3x/2x/1x but the old one), can one apply for a personal PRG for the bonus?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by thecompdude
How to get Gold without having the card in hand? Which phone number do you call and do you have to give them any reference id?
Called the Platinum service line and they looked me up by my other Amex cards... very nice lady first welcomed me to Amex Plat, then transferred me over to SPG!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:59 pm

New to all this. My wife JUST got the American Airlines 50k amex card. Does this kick her out from this offer? If so, any use in calling them to switch promotions?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:00 pm

Instant Approval for Plat. Thanks OP!

I guess I'm thinking if you wanted to cancel the card after the first year.

Originally Posted by Yoksel
Does it matter? I thought we should be able to get $200 each calendar year regardless of the statement closing dates.

Originally Posted by jacisme
I'm thinking we should set our statements to autopay on the 4th of the month, that way we can charge the cards on the 1st or 2nd and still give it a couple days before the billing cycle closes - in order to get the $200 airline credits 2x (once per calendar year).

Thoughts?

Last edited by jacisme; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:03 pm Reason: adding previous inline response

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lloydlincoln
New to all this. My wife JUST got the American Airlines 50k amex card. Does this kick her out from this offer? If so, any use in calling them to switch promotions?
That card is issued by Citi which is separate from Amex. You should be fine applying for this one as well.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:01 pm

The Citi AMEX is a Citi card only AMEX branded. FWIW I applied for a JetBlue AMEX card a month ago to keep my points alive, and still got instant approval today.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Alright, this prompted a mini app-o-rama for me. I had been planning on applying for a different card tonight (citi business visa). I opened THREE browsers, applied for...

1. Amex Platinum - instant approval.
2. Amex PRG - instant approval.
3. Citi business visa - application pending (it has been 66 days since I applied for 2 citi cards, my first and only citi cards ever).

Looks like I'll have some spending to do in the next 3 months - but I have a bathroom remodel about to start so that shouldn't be difficult.

I feel a great disturbance in The Force - or maybe that was just my credit rating dropping 20 points... Oh well - I'll take those 150K MR points (and probably 50K AA points when I talk to the citi recon folks tomorrow).

Good deals tonight. ^
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:03 pm

aa amex is completely different and issued by citibank. in fact, i just did aa double browser trick and amex platinum for 200k total.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Originally Posted by jacisme
I guess I'm thinking if you wanted to cancel the card after the first year.
Right, but IMO regardless of the pay cycle, we can charge the second $200 around January 1st next year and close before January 7th. You can even close the card which still has balance although I don't like doing that.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
AC here I come. Like the others have said, lots of screenshots for me.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:17 pm

This is the link for the gold:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...MWSbYS8PseA%3D
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Hmm... Just went for the PRG and got instant approval. Gonna pass on the plat for now; next time.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Do not apply for this card if you are going to transfer to SPG. MR transfer to SPG at a 1:3 ratio, so 100K MR is only 33K SPG, which is awfully close to the SPG card bonus anyway.

Thanks yeah I was just researching up on this via webflyer.com and found out the transfer ratio was coming back here to post update and say please ignore my question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.