Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Says Centurion Diamond Status Limited to 1st 7 Years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2004, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond

I just spoke with Hyatt because my GP account somehow deleted my Centurion membership/status and therefore automatically downgraded me to to Platinum status.

Well, after a meaningful amount of effort, I was able to restore my status, but the Hyatt GP agent came on and said the following:

"As long as you stay at a Hyatt once each year, and maintain your Centurion status, you will have Diamond status for 7 years. After the 7th year, you will need to qualify on your own independently with 25 stays/50 nights."

Is anyone else aware that Diamond status is an expiring benefit???
Old Mar 22, 2004, 2:33 pm

Either the agent made it up, or actually checked the contract with Hyatt and AMEX. It seems like a pretty full and complete answer. But 7 years is ambigious. Does anyone else have any insight?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 2:51 pm

There is no way the agent was able to check the Centurion contract with Amex.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:37 pm

Maybe contract is not the right word, but maybe it was some printed offical document/non-computer, or maybe something like that could be in the computer, who knows, but it seems like a true story to me, but not something I would look forward too.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I was on hold for 5-10 minutes. She came back and told me the story about how somehow my Centurion number or card reference was deleted and that is why it didn't automatically renew, and then she went into this need to have one stay during each calendar year to keep Diamond status active and then need to qualify on my own after 7 years: she even then cited the 25/50 criteria.

Seems starnge. Maybe the AMEX/Hyatt contract goes for 7 more years...she doesn't need to have access to the contract itself to know that???
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:18 pm

The materials AMEX sent out this year did make clear you had to stay at least once a year to maintain your status, and suggested if you did not you would drop to Platinum and would not be able to restore the diamond status without qualifying. But there was nothing that suggested your diamond status was limited to 7 years.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:25 am

Total B.S

Your Diamond Status is as good as long as the agreement Amex has with Hyatt is valid.

A phone agent would have no insight into that info
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:30 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sdix:
Total B.S

Your Diamond Status is as good as long as the agreement Amex has with Hyatt is valid.

A phone agent would have no insight into that info
</font>
I hope that is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.