Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Expensive Item charged to your Amex Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2004, 12:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SteveT:
I am helping my friend with his upcoming wedding. The deal is that I get to charge it on my Amex. The charge should be around $62K. I just need to find a way for Amex to approve it.</font>
In my experience they will approve any amount as long as you pre-pay them. Just pre pay your bill and tell them how much you will be charging. I did that when buying furniture for my company and it worked very well.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:37 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Try 15 rooms at the Plaza in NYC for six weeks, including mini-bar charges ! Anyone care to guess how much that was ? I don't know who was more shocked, Amex when I called to authorise it, or my boss when I told him how much had been charged to the card !
Old Jan 13, 2004, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozzie:
Try 15 rooms at the Plaza in NYC for six weeks, including mini-bar charges ! Anyone care to guess how much that was ? I don't know who was more shocked, Amex when I called to authorise it, or my boss when I told him how much had been charged to the card !</font>
I guess we aren't going to find out until someone guesses!

Having never stayed at the Plaza (although perhaps hotels one step down in NY) I'd guess $500/night (including minibar) x 15rooms = $7500 per night. x42= $315,000
Old Jan 13, 2004, 4:01 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
I guess we aren't going to find out until someone guesses!

Having never stayed at the Plaza (although perhaps hotels one step down in NY) I'd guess $500/night (including minibar) x 15rooms = $7500 per night. x42= $315,000
</font>
Our rate was closer to 300 a night with the discount they kindly offered us .... came to around $230K. On a green card, no less !

Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozzie:
Our rate was closer to 300 a night with the discount they kindly offered us .... came to around $230K. On a green card, no less !</font>
I see you are now a Centurion, does AmEx take these one of large payments as part of the Centurion spending consideration limit or do they recognise it is a one-off?
Thats unless you put up 15 guys in the Plaza for 6 weeks quite often
Old Jan 13, 2004, 9:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
I see you are now a Centurion, does AmEx take these one of large payments as part of the Centurion spending consideration limit or do they recognise it is a one-off?
</font>
I was there with 14 colleagues - even though I was quite junior myself (about four years ago), I was the only one with a corporate card ...

I don't think Amex takes any spending on a corporate card into account (though can't be sure). All my spend came from my personal platinum. I've had some high months occasionally (£10K +), but on average charge about £2 - £3K a month. Not sure why I was invited, to be honest !

Old Jan 13, 2004, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure why I was invited, to be honest!</font>
They wanted your annual fee perhaps?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 2:34 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Biggest single purchase was an exhibition stand that came to around $55,000 USD.

Exhibition company was rather peeved that they had to pay the percentage as they were used to paying this only on small orders.

pmcg
Old Jan 13, 2004, 6:06 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I TRIED charging my car, they wouldn't have it... Largest thing I've ever charged would be a bunch of items from the Enron auction a while back. By the time I was done with all the purchases it was something like $180k on various IT items. THAT was a fun bill to submit.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
My biggest spend was a £7000 hotel bill for a 5* hotel when I worked in Bombay for approx 2 months. I had never spent more than £2000 before then but the transaction completed even though I didn't call ahead.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Sheeesh! You people make my spending look like small change! Two largest charges: a ten thousand dollar I bond and prepayment of my own funeral for eight thousand! All on my starwood amex!
Old Jan 14, 2004, 9:37 pm

tuition now that UF accepts AMEX...a nice 13K every semester
Old Jan 15, 2004, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I spent over $10K on a ring once using my Centurion card. The jeweler said it was the first time such a large purchase went through immediately without additional authorization.

I have some sports tix charged to my Amex each year. This year one of the charges was for $35K and it went through without a hitch.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by monkey7247:
tuition now that UF accepts AMEX...a nice 13K every semester</font>
If only my sodding Uni took AmEx well I could be more mad if it was $13k worth of BA miles I was losing!
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:29 am

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Bought some nice gold flatware at Harrods for a bit over 45,000 GBP.

A bit of a wait as the price was listed at 50,000 and I told the salesman to get a supervisor as I would only pay 45,000. My wife and I then went to the dining room for lunch where the manager found us and happily (for both of us) accepted my offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.