Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hidden information that lurks in your amex card number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden information that lurks in your amex card number

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: Various
The card sequence definition is slightly incorrect:

Take a look at my post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...sing-date.html

Hence why if you change billing cycle, you will be given a new card and account number.

As a result of the account number only being 4 digits, that gives 10000 permutations within that billing cycle. So the product digits will potentially span multiple ranges:

So in the UK:
3742 88 is a UK Centurion Card (Sterling based)
3791 04 BA Premium Plus AmEx UK

I was a 3742 82 for Gold and Platinum charge card in UK - kept the same number. Though I am sure they are using other ranges now, as there will have been more than 100,000 customers in time on the Gold and Platinum charge products.

Don't forget if you go through more than 9 replacement cards (lost/stolen), then you will also consume a new account/card number as there is only a single digit for issue number within the 15-digit sequence. That's not that hard to do if you lose a card, and get a temporary card as you will jump 2 places very quickly. Ten years in, and I'm on #7 after a couple of fraud and replacment card situations, along with a new card number for the Titanium refresh.

Thanks,
Richard
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:02 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
3774 New Zealand
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:36 am

Programs: AmEx Gold PR, BoA Plat Priv
Originally Posted by Sanosuke
I second this -- My AMEX Costco Platinum has the first four digits as 3733 and its not a personal charge card, but a credit card.

Sanosuke!
I seem to have an exception to this rule: my personal Plat Aeroplan is 3733.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CX DM, DL Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Plat
3725 5 Amex Blue Sky (oldest card)
3767 8 Amex Plat
3767 3 Amex Bus Platinum
3717 3 Amex SPG Business
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
[Moderator enters...]

I have broken out the discussion of the merits of paying for both a Personal and a Business Platinum charge card into a new thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rge-cards.html

[...moderator exits]
Old Apr 28, 2010, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mia
[Moderator enters...]

I have broken out the discussion of the merits of paying for both a Personal and a Business Platinum charge card into a new thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rge-cards.html

[...moderator exits]
Great. Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Vasco
In Canada 3735 denotes a personal charge card of any flavour, in my experience. 3733 denotes a business charge card.

I've had green, gold and platinum personal cards all bearing 3735; and gold and platinum business cards bearing 3733.

3735 here too (canada). Actually, when I went from Platinum to Centurion, only the last 4 numbers of my card changed. The first 11 digits were the same.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
3749 8 - Amex Centurion, France
I have French Platinum and am also 3749 8

Answering other comments, when I upgraded from French Green to Platinum I was told I would get a Platinum with a new number and I could either cancel or keep my Green. This change of number makes sense because I kept the Green until the day Platinum was activated, and it was in the middle of a billing cycle of the Green.

Another topic : the security number on the cards. When I told one Amex representative my Platinum security number she looked quite surprised. Do you think this number can have any meaning ?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Visa Signature
Originally Posted by JB4874
When I asked the AMEX people about this a few months ago, (downgrading my plat amex to a gold) they told me that I would not keep my card number and that I would have to apply for the gold as a new card and then just cancel the plat, is this true?
I just upgraded my green to gold and they made me apply over again like I was a new customer. I have not gotten my gold in the mail yet so I do not know if my number has changed yet.
Old May 1, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
3760 39 - Australia Platinum Charge Card
3760 66 - Australia Qantas Premium Card
3762 14 - Singapore Platinum Credit Card
3762 22 - Singapore Corporate Green Charge Card
3774 21 - New Zealand Gold & Platinum Charge Card

Anecdotally, 3761 and 3791 seem to be Malaysia.
Old May 1, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion; Visa Infinite; Hertz Gold; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold; Kempinski Private Concierge;
Originally Posted by vilntrav
I have French Platinum and am also 3749 8

Answering other comments, when I upgraded from French Green to Platinum I was told I would get a Platinum with a new number and I could either cancel or keep my Green. This change of number makes sense because I kept the Green until the day Platinum was activated, and it was in the middle of a billing cycle of the Green.

Another topic : the security number on the cards. When I told one Amex representative my Platinum security number she looked quite surprised. Do you think this number can have any meaning ?

You do not post enough numbers, Amex used 8 in every countries
80 means Platinum
88 means Centurion
I guess the French centurion is 3749-88 and 3749-80 for Plat
Isn't?
Old May 1, 2010, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by vilntrav
My understanding is the 4 digit CID security code is a function of when the card was physically issued and from which distribution facility/batch. A while back, I added two AU cards. Both cards arrived with the same 4 digit CID.
Old May 1, 2010, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by SuicidTheory
You do not post enough numbers, Amex used 8 in every countries
80 means Platinum
88 means Centurion
I guess the French centurion is 3749-88 and 3749-80 for Plat
Isn't?
The first Platinum cards issued in France in the 90's were 3749-88 (when Platinum was strictly "by invitation"). Now it's used for Centurion.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:52 pm

3725 74 Costco TrueEarnings Amex
3713 44 Delta Gold Amex

Has anyone seen a 34xx xx card in the wild? My understanding is a handful were issued to keep dibs on the 34 range, but it's otherwise unused.

You might also look at the back of store-branded gift cards. If the number starts with 37 (or 34), it's processed through Amex.

Last edited by alanh; May 1, 2010 at 10:07 pm
Old May 1, 2010, 11:32 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Originally Posted by alanh
3725 74 Costco TrueEarnings Amex
3713 44 Delta Gold Amex

Has anyone seen a 34xx xx card in the wild? My understanding is a handful were issued to keep dibs on the 34 range, but it's otherwise unused.

You might also look at the back of store-branded gift cards. If the number starts with 37 (or 34), it's processed through Amex.
34 is the reason I started this thread, no luck so far, I have seen a few on credit reports, they start with 3499, not sure what they are exactly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.