Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conversion & transfer of low MR balance

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2003, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Conversion & transfer of low MR balance

Hi, am new to this website and just can't seem to get enough of it. In the process of consolidating my different accounts I noticed that I have 800 MR points from a rarely used blue card. Thx to FT, the point conscious person that I have now become, was trying to convert that to Delta/AA/USair miles or starwood points. I see that minimum 2000 points are needed to convert to any other program but can't seem to find any of conversion rates on the amex website. Would it make sense to add another 1200 points by using the credit card or should I just forget about it and charge to 1200 bucks to the citi AA card?

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Your question kind of confuses me but the general rule of thumb is that you have to transfer at least 1000 MR points to a FF account. Almost all of the accounts are 1:1 meaning that 1000 MR points = 1000 FF points. In order to verify this, you need to log on to the Amex website and sign in to the MR portion. When you pull up the redemption page, you need to click on the "Transfer Points" button to get the actual redemption rate for that program. Hope this helps!
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:38 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
There are certain MR accounts that require you to transfer 2000 points for 1000 miles (I believe they're called MR Options accounts).

I wouldn't be too worried about losing 400 miles myself ... especially since it will cost you $1,200 in charges to rescue them and convert them to 1,000 miles when you could be earning 1,200 miles for the same charges on AA.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:53 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by christianj:
In order to verify this, you need to log on to the Amex website and sign in to the MR portion. When you pull up the redemption page, you need to click on the "Transfer Points" button to get the actual redemption rate for that program. Hope this helps!</font>
Since I don't have enough points to transfer, I get an error message instead of information on the transfer rate. And my problem is that without the information it doesn't make sense for me to add points (when instead I could be using another card).

Basically, it would be profitable to use the amex card if there is an airline program that has a 1:1 conversion from MR to miles because then I would end up getting 2000 miles for 1200$ spent.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:54 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:
I wouldn't be too worried about losing 400 miles myself ... especially since it will cost you $1,200 in charges to rescue them and convert them to 1,000 miles when you could be earning 1,200 miles for the same charges on AA.</font>
Ya, thats what I thought and wanted to confirm it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.