FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   More Foursquare shopping discounts (UK) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1412435-more-foursquare-shopping-discounts-uk.html)

Olly- Mar 23, 2013 11:47 am

Originally Posted by A1pax (Post 20469513)
I found a few comments on the internet that Amex offers on foursquare only works on mobile devices - iPhone, Android and Blackberry. So, it does not work for Windows phone? Is this correct? If so, I should give up trying.

That is correct, unfortunately you'll need to find an iOS, Android or Blackberry device to use the offers.

Richyo Mar 23, 2013 11:50 am

Not sure about the windows phone question but in terms of a workaround, if you know anyone with an ipad/iPhone (or the other ones that work) might be worth quickly logging into foursquare account(s) and checking in/unlocking offers as it's a one off exercise? Even the display ipads in tesco/apple store would probably allow you to do it.. Worth it if you are doing a few I suppose...

A1pax Mar 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by tangey (Post 20469625)
Sorry, can't help, but I do remember Nokia, they used to be a popular phone manufacturer, right ?

Yes, Nokia used to be the top name in mobile phones. But, now they have not been as popular as Apple or Samsung. Nokia as a company has been in financial troubles, so they have tried hard to re-capture market shares of mobile phones.

A1pax Mar 23, 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Olly- (Post 20469644)
That is correct, unfortunately you'll need to find an iOS, Android or Blackberry device to use the offers.

Thanks, Olly, for confirming this. I asked hubby for another phone (iphone or android), but he said no!!! So, am stuck with the Nokia - although it does most of what I want to do.

A1pax Mar 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Richyo (Post 20469655)
Not sure about the windows phone question but in terms of a workaround, if you know anyone with an ipad/iPhone (or the other ones that work) might be worth quickly logging into foursquare account(s) and checking in/unlocking offers as it's a one off exercise? Even the display ipads in tesco/apple store would probably allow you to do it.. Worth it if you are doing a few I suppose...

Thanks, Richyo, for suggesting a work around - using other people's ipad/iphone. I have an iPad2 but the foursquare did not work on it, because it requires the new iOS.

reclusive46 Mar 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax (Post 20469799)
Thanks, Richyo, for suggesting a work around - using other people's ipad/iphone. I have an iPad2 but the foursquare did not work on it, because it requires the new iOS.

You can upgrade the iPad 2 to the new iOS via iTunes.

A1pax Mar 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 20469942)
You can upgrade the iPad 2 to the new iOS via iTunes.

I am not a very "tech savvy" person. I clicked on iTunes on my iPad2 but could not see how I could upgrade it to iOS. I connected ipad to computer, but nothing happened. When I searched for iOS 5 (because when I tried to download foursquare app for Apple store - it said this app required iOS 5), all could see were some guides and nothing to enable me to download. I googled also, but it was very confusing.

Could you please give some more instructions? Sorry, I sound very confused :confused:. Thanks.

Sohail Iqbal Mar 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Windows Phone

The foursquare offers don't work with the app they have for windows phone :( You can check in but you can't load the offer to your card.

I ended up using a friends iPhone to check in. She wasn't happy but it was a two second job tbh.

Raffles Mar 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax (Post 20470300)
I am not a very "tech savvy" person. I clicked on iTunes on my iPad2 but could not see how I could upgrade it to iOS. I connected ipad to computer, but nothing happened. When I searched for iOS 5 (because when I tried to download foursquare app for Apple store - it said this app required iOS 5), all could see were some guides and nothing to enable me to download. I googled also, but it was very confusing.

Could you please give some more instructions? Sorry, I sound very confused :confused:. Thanks.

Didn't ipad 2 come with iOS 5 as default?

The current version is 6.

reclusive46 Mar 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 20470502)

iOS 4

reclusive46 Mar 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax (Post 20470300)

When you plug it in, click on the iPad on the side of the menu bar. There is a big Update button.

leaveamessage Mar 23, 2013 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sohail Iqbal (Post 20470310)
The foursquare offers don't work with the app they have for windows phone :( You can check in but you can't load the offer to your card.

I ended up using a friends iPhone to check in. She wasn't happy but it was a two second job tbh.

You cant with blackberry os5 either (which is the the os i have on my everyday 9700)..load to card button isnt there.
Thankfully i have access to another running os7, so can log in on that one later on at my convenience and load to card then.
Took me ages and a few arguments with card support to figure out why i wasnt getting any credits after checking in

A1pax Mar 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Hooray! it worked with upgraded iOS

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 20470502)

No, my iPad2 still had the old iOS 4. So, I googled and read as much as I could about how to upgrade. Finally, with much patience I somehow managed to get the iTunes worked. Because it was an old iOS version, I had to backup then upgrade via iTunes to latest version (which is v6 - as you said), then restore etc. Then I went to Apple store and downloaded the free foursquare app. Lo & behold, I was able to check-in for the Debenhams special £25 for £50 spend - something I have been trying to do for weeks! So, I will go into Debenhams to buy something this week :p

A big THANKS to reclusive46 for suggesting that I should upgrade my iPad2 iOS - not sure why I did not think of it in the first place! After upgrade to iOS 6 I can now see the Upgrade software button - it did not show in iOS 4.

One of the problems with upgrading to iOS 6 is that google map now gone - and end up with Apple map instead :td: How can I get my google map back?

Again, thanks, everyone, for your replies and help. Much appreciated it.

reclusive46 Mar 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax (Post 20470820)
No, my iPad2 still had the old iOS 4. So, I googled and read as much as I could about how to upgrade. Finally, with much patience I somehow managed to get the iTunes worked. Because it was an old iOS version, I had to backup then upgrade via iTunes to latest version (which is v6 - as you said), then restore etc. Then I went to Apple store and downloaded the free foursquare app. Lo & behold, I was able to check-in for the Debenhams special £25 for £50 spend - something I have been trying to do for weeks! So, I will go into Debenhams to buy something this week :p

A big THANKS to reclusive46 for suggesting that I should upgrade my iPad2 iOS - not sure why I did not think of it in the first place! After upgrade to iOS 6 I can now see the Upgrade software button - it did not show in iOS 4.

One of the problems with upgrading to iOS 6 is that google map now gone - and end up with Apple map instead :td: How can I get my google map back?

Again, thanks, everyone, for your replies and help. Much appreciated it.

No problem. Now lets hope we get some more foursquare offers :D Although knowing my luck we'll end up with spend £50 get 25 back in Poundland :P

flashware Mar 24, 2013 12:54 am

Finally made use of the Debenhams offers to get an absolute steal of a price on a new saucepan set :cool:

When I converted it back to what they are selling for in AUD I got a discount of about 80% (yes, I'm still in the habit of doing that occasionally... :D).