Wiki Posts
Search

I closed my Starwood Amex Account

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2002, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I closed my Starwood Amex Account

I called Amex to get them to take the over limit fee off of $29.00. I had them do it for the previous month, (I've only had the card for two months).

When I had them take it off the first month they rep. said to call and they could take it off again the next month. So I called and this month they said it could only be done once.

They also charged me interest, I pay the card off in full each month. When you see a close date of August 9th on-line this does not mean that interest does not accrue. There is another date like July 29th that does not show up on-line anywhere.

So I charged $12,000.00 the first month and $11,000.00 the second month and Amex could care less if I kept the account open.

They just said, ok your account is closed.

Great customer service, ha!

Alfred--
Old Aug 14, 2002, 7:47 pm
cxn

Yes. They did the same thing to me when I closed my Delta AMEX card. I still carry the 'black' card but I might dump that as I actually will make SPG Plat this year and next.

Christian
Old Aug 14, 2002, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well I called back and talked with a Supervisor and she took off the $29.00 over the limit charge. So I turned the card back on!

She also suggested that had it been within the first 30 days of the card that I could have increased my credit line. She also suggested that I get another Amex card and then transfer it's credit line onto my SPG Amex. This way I do not have to wait the six months.

So the supervisor was much more customer oriented than the front line employee.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 7:58 am

There are some rules you did accept when you applied for the card. For instance Amex's right to charge you late payment fees.

Customer orientation does not mean for me, that every time a customer doesn't accept some terms of the contract he agreed before, and cancels the account, Amex should try to keep him at every price.

Amex is mostly interested by customers who pay their bills on time. By new cardmembers, a first year without payment problems is the most important point.
Old Aug 17, 2002, 4:26 pm

AmEx is not exactly known for their high level of customer service or their knowledge of the products they handle. If it wouldn't be for the excellent Starwood product, I'd ride myself of AmEx for good.

Also, I received an updated fee schedule a few months ago listing all of their fees (i.e., over the limit, late payment, etc.) I could not believe how high these fees were. AmEx is an absolute joke! This is evident in the mutual fund department since their funds were industry laggers and they had to steal people from Fidelity to turn that unit of AmEx around. I know I went a bit off topic.
Old Aug 17, 2002, 7:48 pm

I've posted this before, but it's probably worth posting it again.

If all else fails and you are in the US, call AMEX HQ Executive Offices at 1-800-297-6197, Mon - Fri 9AM - 5PM. They have people who assist with these types of matters.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
http://www.biztrip.com
Old Aug 18, 2002, 3:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TTT103:
AmEx is not exactly known for their high level of customer service or their knowledge of the products they handle.</font>
It seems to be (another) difference between US Amex services an European services. In most cases, European service is better.

But there is also the trend in Europe for big companies to replace well trained CS reps by outsourced call centers with low-cost and always changing young people.

I agree it's not the right way to improve customer relations...
Old Aug 23, 2002, 8:00 pm

About AMEX customer service:

The higher up you go, the better the customer service...I had a PLAT AMEX that had great customer service...moved to the Centurion Card and I have never had a single problem that they didn't resolve...even allowed me to dispute charges before the statement closed and many other things as well...I also just acquired the Starwood AMEX...the service is friendly but the people are clueless. Amex is a great company to deal with if you have a high ranking on their list...sure beats Visa and MC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.