Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Account to another country?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2002, 10:33 am
DCW
Original Poster

Transfer Account to another country?

I am thinking of requesting AE to transfer my US account to Hong Kong. Have any one have any experience regarding this? Will my MR points transfer with my account and adjust the points automatically? (The reason is I have checked that you get 1 MR point/US dollar in US and 1 MR point/HK dollar in HK but the exchange rate is 1 US=7.8 HK and if AE transfer my MR points will the MR points be multiply by 7.8?)
Old May 18, 2002, 6:42 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
This can be done very easily. Ive done this about 5 times over the past 7 years. You can get a US$ card in Hong Kong if you want, and then the MR transfer is 1 to 1. I dont know about transfering US based MR points to HK$ based points, though. I suggest you speak to Amex HK and ask them how they would credit your US based MR points if you decided to change your MR currency base.

Old May 19, 2002, 7:36 am

I've done this before and had no problems transferring the MR points from the US to HK. I called customer service in HK and gave them my US MR account number and the points showed up in my HK MR account after a couple of weeks.
Old May 19, 2002, 8:24 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Miles8, what was the conversion rate they used for these MR points?
Old May 19, 2002, 11:51 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
HK rate is usually 1 MR Point per 7/8 HKD.

American Express will invoice you anywhere in the world so it is not necessary to transfer account. I doubt you will see any real Mileage benefit for transfering to Hong Kong Account. However, having a US Amex account will assist you in establishing a credit rating in Hong Kong if Amex HKG opens a local account for you.

Dave - London,UK
Old May 20, 2002, 12:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
As the previous poster mentioned - if you want to continue to be billed in the same currency - just change address.
Old May 21, 2002, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; BD Gold; Hyatt Dia; HH Dia; IC RA; AxCent
Interesting topic, raising some more questions:

Has anyone transfered a European MR account to the US or Asia? At which rate?

A purpose would be the ability to transfer points to more non-European airlines...
Old May 21, 2002, 8:18 am

Gaucho100K, it was 1 to 1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.