Search

Amex acceptance outside of North America

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2002, 5:35 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Amex acceptance outside of North America

How is Amex acceptance outside of North America these days?
Old Feb 17, 2002, 6:28 pm

Not bad at all. Most businesses in the tourist or retail industries are likely to take it, even outside of major towns. Since Amex lowered their commission many more merchants accept it. Least likely to accept Amex are low-margin operations such as mail-order stores.

In Europe and Asia I do over 95% of my CC spend on Amex.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 8:09 pm
Gui

Most will say that Visa and MC are much more widely accepted Internationally. I suppose this is probably true...BUT..from Istanbul to Moscow, Frankfurt, Zurich, Berlin, Dublin, Paris and other European cities, I have never any problem to use my AMEX.

Old Feb 18, 2002, 7:00 am

Generally no problems in Europe, except only for small villages or towns far away from regular business or tourist areas.

Very good acceptance also around the mediterranean coast(e.g. North-Africa, Middle-East, Turkey)and Asia.

I experienced some limited acceptance in Middle- and South-America a couple of years ago (Costa Rica, Panama, Venezuel, Dom.Rep.), but maybe it´s better now.

Old Feb 18, 2002, 9:00 am
Uli

I can only speak for the situation in Germany -- I find 90% of the restaurants accept cards but only 75% of them would accept AMEX. Supermarkets do not accept credit cards at all (besides airport supermarkets).

Old Feb 18, 2002, 9:33 am
Gui

As mentioned, in some of the smaller outlying towns ..or in some of the small little boutique shops I would agree that AMEX and in many cases credit cards in generally are not readily accepted. It is much better than it used to be. However, in trying to answer the topic question in the spirit it has been asked, I would again say that the ability to use AMEX in most International cities is not a big problem..and is probably not a problem at all at hotels, nice restaurants, and most shopping. Since, Amex is the only card I have, I have conditioned myself to look ask if AMEX is accepted if I have any doubts. I hate to be redundant, but I have had little to no problems to use Amex. At least that is my international experience.

Old Feb 18, 2002, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
The only problem I had, ironically, was in Scottsdale, Arizona last year when I went shopping in Robinsons-May( large department store) in the Fashion square Mall. I did not see any " we take these cards" by the entance but when I went to pay I was told tat they did not accept Amex.
It was not a problem as I had 2 Visa cards with me which still earned Virgin Atlantic miles rather than cash ( no miles)

Some of the smaller stores and some museums do not take Amex but for most of my shopping , there has been no problem as I can see what cards are taken.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
In Brazil, MasterCard (and Diners Club, its high-fee variant) is probably the most accepted card. After that, come VISA and American Express. However, from time to time you may run across an establishment that takes only one or another of the cards. If you like Amex, you might take along a MC as a backup.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 5:40 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I'm not sure about the smaller, out of the way places but in the major cities in Europe that I've been in, as well as Asia, I've never had trouble using my AMEX. Last month in Rome on my honeymoon we must've charged at every store that took plastic Only ONE didn't take AMEX and it was a small trinket shop. I always have a MC and Visa as backup but your AMEX should be good wherever you may roam.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 7:58 pm

In Venezuela, Ecuador and Peru, Amex cardholders will not have any problems using their cards at upscale establishments/hotels in major cities. However, outside the major cities you'll definately have a harder time using an Amex card. But it's not that hard though in certain resorts outside of cities.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 1:01 am

I spent 8 months last year in Israel & 6 in the US and had no problems using my AMEX. Here in Australia I've had no problems either (but just in case I have my Visa as backup).

goodo
Old Feb 19, 2002, 11:42 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I lived my entire life using Amex only for two and half years - all of which was spent traversing the globe outside of the US - not much problem at all. If you are in hotels, restaurants... never any problem. If they do try to complain - just get shirty with them !
Old Feb 24, 2002, 4:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Thanks for the feedback.

I only use Amex and a debit card (as back up). It's good to know that Amex has made some way in expanding merchant acceptance.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flyaway:
I only use Amex and a debit card (as back up). It's good to know that Amex has made some way in expanding merchant acceptance.</font>
When you say "debit card," do you mean just a plain bank debit card that's accessible only through a POS network, or is it a debit card that displays a MasterCard or Visa logo, and can be used anywhere a credit card bearing the same logo could be used? I would hope it's the latter, as I can think of many places where neither an Amex card or a bank debit card without MasterCard/Visa capabilities would be accepted.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 7:10 am

Amex is accepted almost everywhere in Europe where you think of using a credit card to pay. It means "not everywhere", but using a card to pay for two coffees is very unusual in Europe. In some countries, like Germany, people used to pay all with cash (even cars with bundles of 1,000 DM notes) until the beginning of the 90s. ...

The acceptance of plain debit cards like Maestro or Visa electron in Europe is quite good.
It make sense to use a debit card as a backup to Amex in this case. But the choice of two major credit cards Amex + Visa or Mastercard is better, with some cash as backup.
Now, as the Euro is used as currency in the most important 12 european countries*, the remaining coins or notes are easier to use at a later time.

----

*: except UK , as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.