Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 1999, 5:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

AMEX Benefits

Here is a tough one for all of you but since you are all the smartest people I know here it goes. I know it's not really travel related but anyway.

I used the AMEX card to pay for some vehicle maintenance on my truck. One of the items was to rotate my tires. I paid for the service no problem. Three months later I take my truck to another service station for some maintenance. They tell me that they cannot get the lugs nuts because whoever put them on last over torqued them and stripped the bolts. They had to break most of them off to get the tires off. All in all I had to replace the studs and lug nuts for all 4 tires. Only $489 and I was on my way. I also used the AMEX card for the repairs.

Any chance of AMEX helping me out here?

About 4 years ago I had a problem with a defective computer monitor that was 2 days past the 1 year warranty and the manufacturer waould not replace but Visa reimbursed me the cost - no problem.

I would appreciate any advice.

Sorry about not being travel related.
Old Aug 3, 1999, 8:07 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sorry to hear of your troubles but, in my opinion, it is unlikely that Amex will help. They specifically note an exclusion for autos's on their Platinum protection stuff yet their is no harm in trying. Have you tried to get any satisfaction at the original shop that caused the damage? It seems that your beef is with them! Good luck and I hope I'm wrong here!
Old Aug 3, 1999, 9:08 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I wish people would fill out their profile. I do not know where you live but...

I would get a written statement from the second shop (you type, they sign) and take it to the first shop. When they refuse to pay, and they likely will, then you tell them you will take them to small claims court. Document all that is said. Here in California, you can sue for way more that the claim you have. Owners of business (and likely you too) do not want to take off a day and go to court. You will have to pay a small charge to file and have the paper served.

You will have to demonstrate that no one has "touched" the lugs since you "visit in dispute" and that the problem acutally existed, not fabricated by the second shop. Also that the charges were fair. The first is fairly easy because of the shortness of time elapsed. The second is toughter. Why did you not take the vehicle back to the first place when this problem was discovered will be the issue. The third item, one of cost, is something you can get a few written estimates from a dealer and a repair shop to show the charge was fair. Good luck! This happened to me, only one lug nut. I took it back to the first place, but it now was under new ownership!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.