Search

Plat Business 100k w/ $10k spent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G
Plat Business 100k w/ $10k spent

Just received this offer in the mail:
Business Platinum with 100,000 MR bonus points with $10k minimum spending by Nov 2.

It seems to be targeted but in a strange way. On the envelope it says:
[name of hospital] Physician
[address]

Now, I'm not a physician but I believe the previous resident was. There is an RSVP code but no name anywhere. Now my question is what Amex would check this RSVP code against if I applied? Would I be able to get the card given that this is my address?

I also need to provide a business name. I have read that selling some stuff on ebay/amazon might be enough, what experience have others made with getting the Plat Business card? I would love to get these 100k points even though $10k is a fair bit of spending.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PltPro, AMEX Platinum
If you get this make sure to keep a copy of the paper. I got this in march and annoyingly Amex wasn't going to honor it until I faxed the application to them. In the end I got the 100k.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wireless_999
If you get this make sure to keep a copy of the paper. I got this in march and annoyingly Amex wasn't going to honor it until I faxed the application to them. In the end I got the 100k.
just out of curiosity, what was their excuse for not honoring it?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:43 pm

In my experience, these offers are all targeted and the RSVP code will be tied to a specific individual. From what you've said, you're not that individual and the offer isn't for you. Toss it. Better yet, shred it.

Or call AMEX, explain the situation and ask if they'll give you the card. Couldn't hurt and it's an honest way of trying to get the deal.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uszkanni
In my experience, these offers are all targeted and the RSVP code will be tied to a specific individual. From what you've said, you're not that individual and the offer isn't for you. Toss it. Better yet, shred it.
But is it still tied to an individual if there is no name on the invite?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Accidental_Flyer
But is it still tied to an individual if there is no name on the invite?
Even though there is no name printed on the letter there probably is a list of eligible names in the American Express database. These types of occupation or employer based offers are not unusual. Does the letter itself mention the name of the hospital, or only the envelope?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was wondering the same thing. My personal Platinum comes up for renewal this fall again.

My dad just received (he keeps receiving them, I never do) the 100K business platinum offer so I was thinking of signing up with his RSVP code and then canceling my personal.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:34 am
mia

Originally Posted by r.brown
...thinking of signing up with his RSVP code and then canceling my personal.
It is improbable that you will be able to apply using an offer in your father's name. He could apply and allow you to use the account, but it's expensive to add a supplementary Platinum card to a Business account.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
These types of occupation or employer based offers are not unusual. Does the letter itself mention the name of the hospital, or only the envelope?
It's only on the envelope. The application form only has an RSVP code printed on it, no reference to the employer.

I also don't understand why hospital doctors would be targeted for a Business Plat rather than the personal one.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:20 am
mia

I also don't understand why hospital doctors would be targeted for a Business Plat rather than the personal one.
Doctors who work in hospitals typically also have practices (businesses) outside the hospital.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:55 pm

There are two easy ways to determine if you can get the 100K.

1) Call AMEX and ask.

2) Go to the AMEX website listed in the invite and enter the RSVP code. See if a name appears in the, presumably, pre-populated form. If yes then no; if no then maybe.

By the way, even if you manage to sign up and get approved for the card, the 100K is still targeted to someone else and you may not get the MRs.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:52 pm

finally I received one today too at home. Going through the link with RSVP code does populate business name and address but not my name. Notice there is a $450 annual fee.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mia
It is improbable that you will be able to apply using an offer in your father's name. He could apply and allow you to use the account, but it's expensive to add a supplementary Platinum card to a Business account.
I've done this. It works. I have posted it a couple times on FT but I forget where. Basically, I found in my mailbox an invitation from Amex to the previous occupant's business like the OP. I put in the RSVP online, filled out my name and info, was approved, got the points. It was all automatic. I never lobbied for the points. This was for an Amex Biz Gold but I don't see any reason why the Plat doesn't work.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: Amex Personal Centurion, Amex Business Centurion(cancelled), Merril+, CitiGold, JP Morgan Palladium
Just received this offer in the mail:
Business Platinum with 100,000 MR bonus points with $10k minimum spending by Nov 2.

Now, I'm not a physician but I believe the previous resident was. There is an RSVP code but no name anywhere.
What are you doing opening other ppl's mail??? Isn't it a federal crime to open another person's mail if caught? Especially when it is for a credit card application...
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yoyo
finally I received one today too at home. Going through the link with RSVP code does populate business name and address but not my name. Notice there is a $450 annual fee.
Got one, too. While it does populate the fields, they're still changeable.

What's disturbing is that the T&Cs on the web site say that the offer is 25k points after $5k spend, rather than what was written on the invitation. This sort of error would certainly explain why some people get credited for the wrong amount. Wonder if it's safe to ignore that I'm agreeing to the wrong terms as long as I keep the paper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.