Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I doubt they can tell the card type by the number though - unless you're booking through Amex PTS, of course, oops. But even there ... I'd be surprised as they do not have access to your credit file.
You have to go through PTS to get 10% off rate, you key in your Plat card # before being invited to be transferred to PTS so I guess they identify you as a cardholder and then usually they charge directly to your account; I simply asked to pay with an alternative Amex card in order to get 2*points for the bookings and after a bit of dithering, agent accepted. Sadly, no Gold card at the moment to be able to "double-dip" in this way.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
But platinum card has better insurance than gold. Only you can decide if the reduced benefit is worth the extra .75 pt per $.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by beep88
But platinum card has better insurance than gold. Only you can decide if the reduced benefit is worth the extra .75 pt per $.
My personal rule's been that if it's a simple flight somewhere where there aren't usually delays (ie not ORD), I charge to my Gold; Otherwise certainly platinum. Same for cars - definitely platinum in case of anything. Hotels to gold since I don't figure I will need insurance there.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:38 am

aren't you supposed to charge (foreign) hotels and flights (hem lifemiles) to one of the chase canada cards with no ftf?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by john_doe123123
Never tried it for airfare, but I just booked a 6 night hotel in Japan. Amex: C$568/night (after taxes). Hotels.com: C$527/night (after taxes). Same room, same benefits, same refund policy. Over 6 nights, that a difference of $246...which basically puts the two on par after Amex's $200 credit.
Not sure whether applicable to you, but don't forget Amex bookings earn stay and night credits at the major chains whereas a Hotels/Expedia/TA booking would not.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by markandrew
You have to go through PTS to get 10% off rate
Is this the case for Air Canada flights as well? I booked a flight the other day and noticed it was $515, when AC.com was quoting $548.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
aren't you supposed to charge (foreign) hotels and flights (hem lifemiles) to one of the chase canada cards with no ftf?
2% fee is definitely worth the insurance that you get.

When I missed a flight because I'm an idiot, and then the rebooked flight went mechanical and caused me to miss a bunch of land connections (my buffer window was only +1 flight's worth of time), Amex just sent me back a cheque for everything, no questions asked. So I'm fully onboard with the 2% fee for things like that. Plus, you know, points and all.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan

wow I have never known insurance for Plat is better than Gold. I'd have to read the terms but anyone cares to give me a brief explanation ?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by choupeo
wow I have never known insurance for Plat is better than Gold. I'd have to read the terms but anyone cares to give me a brief explanation ?
Plat has trip cancellation which is not covered by gold. Many of the benefits have higher coverage in the platinum card e.g. Baggage delay is $1,000 instead of $500. Amex website comparison of cards will break down coverage pretty well.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by choupeo
Go to the Canadian Amex and compare the cards side by side.

Better flight delay insurance, better lost baggage insurance, better car insurance (more expensive cars are insured and more countries if I remember the terms correctly), etc.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by BenSenise
OneWorld status not for much longer!

Does anyone know if you are still getting this for new applications? I don't see the lounge access wordings anymore, which I did a few months ago. My guess is that they stopped giving this benefits... can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by mattc2
Does anyone know if you are still getting this for new applications? I don't see the lounge access wordings anymore, which I did a few months ago. My guess is that they stopped giving this benefits... can anyone confirm?
Enrolment is still open officially though March 31st as per Amex statements sent to existing Plat cardholders I know FTers have signed up in the last month and been able to enrol and obtain 12 month validity. Actually it would tempt me to sign up a Biz Plat if they had some sort of sign up offer, but I already have through November 2014 so an extra 4 months or so is not a game changer.

Time is ticking for anyone looking for this perk, I would say you need o sign up by mid-March for any approval timing and submitting the enrolment form (which I would recommend requesting be sent by e-mail and return to by e-mail or fax. rather than snail mail.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...amex-plat.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.