Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:26 am

Westjet discount, $200 credit

To follow-up on my own post above, I ended up booking a Westjet flight through Platinum travel services. The agent mentioned she was calculating "Westjet platinum discount" when she was finalizing my fare - and it ended up about 7% lower than Westjet's website. Then I also used my $200 annual travel credit - so I ended up with full value for it.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ohlradio
..."Westjet platinum discount" ...
Nice to know it's still available even though it seems to have disappeared from the website.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
CX MPC Gold

Do you guys know where to find the link that says Canadian Amex would give CX Gold? I can't find that on the website any more. I am thinking of referring my wife to get this card so she can park her MR points when she cancels her Gold.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jarusoba
Do you guys know where to find the link that says Canadian Amex would give CX Gold? I can't find that on the website any more. I am thinking of referring my wife to get this card so she can park her MR points when she cancels her Gold.
IIRC it was an actual form that needed to be filled out and mailed. You can request it from any CS rep and they'll mail it to you.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
The most you will find is on https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/ where it says "The Platinum Card gives you access to exceptional benefits such as Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit5, Airport Club Program6 and access to the Cathay Pacific Business Class lounges and oneworld® alliance airlines Business Class lounges6, complimentary and discounted companion tickets and upgrades,7 and lodging benefits at a collection of over 700 Fine Hotels & Resorts around the world."

However, the more important problem is "parking MR" - I highly doubt you will be able to do that. Although it seems to be a rule of thumb that the Gold and the Business Gold can be linked against one another, I have not yet had success linking anything against the Platinum card.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
The most you will find is on https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...platinum-card/ where it says "The Platinum Card gives you access to exceptional benefits such as Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit5, Airport Club Program6 and access to the Cathay Pacific Business Class lounges and oneworld® alliance airlines Business Class lounges6, complimentary and discounted companion tickets and upgrades,7 and lodging benefits at a collection of over 700 Fine Hotels & Resorts around the world."

However, the more important problem is "parking MR" - I highly doubt you will be able to do that. Although it seems to be a rule of thumb that the Gold and the Business Gold can be linked against one another, I have not yet had success linking anything against the Platinum card.
Thank you. I actually logged on to the Amex Plat site with my Cent credentials (didn't know it was possible) and saw something like calling the Plat line to get the CX Gold. So I guess it's still good.

So my wife filled in her application and got approved instantly.

As for parking the Gold MR points, I have success parking my Gold MR points in my Cent MR points account. So I guess my wife could push them to do it for her stating her husband got the same deal. If not, then she could always cash out her Gold MR points since there are not too many of them.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:10 pm

Thank you. I actually logged on to the Amex Plat site with my Cent credentials (didn't know it was possible) and saw something like calling the Plat line to get the CX Gold. So I guess it's still good.

So my wife filled in her application and got approved instantly.

As for parking the Gold MR points, I have success parking my Gold MR points in my Cent MR points account. So I guess my wife could push them to do it for her stating her husband got the same deal. If not, then she could always cash out her Gold MR points since there are not too many of them.
Yeah, I've tried the former (X family member got it, so Y) and was told by a completely incredulous agent that this was a grave mistake and should never have been done. Complete bizarrness. So I generally must do the latter.

Hope you referred your wife so you get MR points
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:15 pm

Yeah, I've tried the former (X family member got it, so Y) and was told by a completely incredulous agent that this was a grave mistake and should never have been done. Complete bizarrness. So I generally must do the latter.

Hope you referred your wife so you get MR points
Yup. Just referred her. She referred me a SPG Amex to get SPG points last month. I just canceled my Gold last week. The agent didn't even try to suggest any retention because I told her upfront that I was churning!! Then she merged my Gold MR account with my Cent MR account.

Will get the Gold card again in a few months.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:21 pm

Yup. Just referred her. She referred me a SPG Amex to get SPG points last month. I just canceled my Gold last week. The agent didn't even try to suggest any retention because I told her upfront that I was churning!! Then she merged my Gold MR account with my Cent MR account.

Will get the Gold card again in a few months.
Interesting. I really have to try merging accounts the next time I cancel a churn. Thanks for supporting the hope that it IS possible
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:36 pm

Interesting. I really have to try merging accounts the next time I cancel a churn. Thanks for supporting the hope that it IS possible
You're welcome.

Another data point. I asked them about merging the two accounts before. That was when I was holding the Gold and Cent cards. The agent told me that it would be possible to merge the accounts when I cancel my Gold card but advised me to wait till I cancel.

So I guess if you're not canceling, they are reluctant to merge them. But if you're canceling the Gold card, they would.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I have both the Gold and the Platinum cards (primary on both), and points for both get credited to the MR balance on my Platinum card.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:37 pm

Yes you can park MR. Just link accounts.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I have both the Gold and the Platinum cards (primary on both), and points for both get credited to the MR balance on my Platinum card.
I have Platinum and Business Platinum, and MRs and acceleration for both go to the Platinum card.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:31 am

Hrm.

I need to try this again. I tried several times and failed to get them linked. I wonder if there are some more "skilled" agents I can get in touch with... the email ones were completely and utterly useless.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Hrm.

I need to try this again. I tried several times and failed to get them linked. I wonder if there are some more "skilled" agents I can get in touch with... the email ones were completely and utterly useless.
My experience has been the same that MR First (Plat) and MR (Gold) could not be combined, I quit caring as I couldn't see it making much difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.