Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canada AMEX Platinum fee increase to $699 June 29 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by xray
The phone support agents are way better because when you question them in real-time, they can ask someone else...
There is definitely a big difference between the email agents whose job it is to answer general questions on a variety of topics from all Amex cardholders regardless of card, and the telephone agents dedicated specifically to service questions from Platinum cardholders.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:58 am

Does anyone know if they actually have a different pool of agents for Platinum cardholders vs. Gold? Because when I called in last weekend to the Platinum line about my travel health insurance benefits, the agent seemed positively clueless. She claimed you had to book the trip on your card to get travel health (not true) and it took a couple "are you sure?" type questions before she even went to ask someone else.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 7:22 am
alc

Originally Posted by laurenceYYZ
Does anyone know if they actually have a different pool of agents for Platinum cardholders vs. Gold? Because when I called in last weekend to the Platinum line about my travel health insurance benefits, the agent seemed positively clueless. She claimed you had to book the trip on your card to get travel health (not true) and it took a couple "are you sure?" type questions before she even went to ask someone else.
from my experience, any insurance related questions need to be direct to the insurance company (RBC)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by alc
from my experience, any insurance related questions need to be direct to the insurance company (RBC)
Funny enough, I am in the midst of a 10 hour delay on my flight back to YYZ and can confirm this to be the case despite having posted only a few hours ago on the superiority of the Platinum card services phone agents. Maybe laurenceYYZ and I got the same clueless agent today, because I ended up having to call the number for the flight delay insurance (RBC Insurance) directly to get any straight answers.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco
Funny enough, I am in the midst of a 10 hour delay on my flight back to YYZ and can confirm this to be the case despite having posted only a few hours ago on the superiority of the Platinum card services phone agents. Maybe laurenceYYZ and I got the same clueless agent today, because I ended up having to call the number for the flight delay insurance (RBC Insurance) directly to get any straight answers.
I always call travel assist, as I figure they'd be more knowledgeable than the Plat agents about the insurance, plus they can open a claim over the phone and start the process.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 8:41 pm

just want to provide my 1st time YYZ Valet Care experience
It's FREE to AMEX Platinum cardholders

I dropped it off at T3 departure level (level 2)
sent someone off
visited Valet booth at arrival level (level 1) by Post F, got my key and paid $6 (< 40 minutes), with AMEX. Was given a ticket for exit
Walked over to garage, up to level 2, and found my car intact, drove off

It's not bad, quite useful for short term stay/drop-off (not good for long term unless company pays). Especially they'll park you closer to the Elevator than you can

It's ONE-WAY Valet Drop-off, just remember that
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by alc
I'm very aware of that, but an agent should know the basics of eligibility. And if she wasn't sure, she shouldn't be giving incorrect information and standing firm on it.

Subsequently, she's also messed up two other requests I made with her on the phone.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:07 pm

just got an email on NEW (but not so useful to me) benefits

As the year begins, we want to help you make more extraordinary memories with your Platinum Card®. We are delighted to introduce new benefits to expand the canvas of your expectations:
$300 Resort Credit at participating Intrawest Properties
Shipboard Credit of up to $300 OR a 2 category upgrade (subject to availability) from Royal Caribbean International™ Cruise Line
Toronto Pearson Priority Limo & Taxi Lane
New merchandise available from the Membership Rewards First™ Tier Plus!
Enjoy a special Bose® offer for Platinum members

Create spectacular memories with Intrawest

Intrawest offers you a chance to do something extraordinary, with resorts in some of the world's most spectacular settings. To make your stay even more remarkable, you can receive a $300 Resort Credit1, every time you book an eligible stay at a participating Intrawest property through Platinum Card® Travel Service from Amex Canada Inc. and pay with your Platinum Card. You can use this credit for dining, spa sessions, ski rentals and lessons, and shopping. Create your own snow-covered adventures in magnificent surroundings at the following participating Intrawest resorts:
Tremblant Ski Resort - Québec
Stratton Mountain Ski Resort - Vermont
Snowshoe Mountain Ski Resort - West Virginia
Winter Park Resort - Colorado
Steamboat Ski Resort - Colorado
Book your travel now by calling Platinum Card Travel Service at 1-800-668-9147.

Cruise further with Royal Caribbean International™

With Royal Caribbean International™, leisure is standard. Exceed your expectations of a vacation with innovative ships that travel to 72 countries on 6 continents, and outstanding service for each and every guest. You can receive a Shipboard Credit of up to $300 or a 2 category upgrade (subject to availability) on cruises of 5 days or more in select categories.2 With the Shipboard Credit; you can enjoy spectacular onboard amenities, first-at-sea experiences, and rock-climbing.

Book your cruise now by calling Platinum Card Travel Service at 1-800-668-9147.

Avoid the crowds and travel with ease at Toronto Pearson

When flying into Toronto Pearson International Airport, you can continue your travel in even more comfort with the NEW Priority Limo & Taxi Lane3. Get to your next destination faster by having access to a dedicated lane where a limo or taxi will be queued for you. To access the lane, all you have to do is show your Platinum Card. To make your travel journey a breeze at Toronto Pearson, remember to also take advantage of the complimentary Valet Service4, a 15% Parking Discount5 on parking rates and shorter waiting times at security with the Pearson Priority Lane6.

Let us help you with your travel plans, no matter how large or small.

Remember to mention on your next travel booking that you would like to use your 2013 $200 Annual Travel Credit7 if you haven't already used it this calendar year. Simply call Platinum Card Travel Service at 1-800-668-9147 and a dedicated travel consultant will be happy to assist you.

Plus, if you haven't enrolled in our lounge partner programs, including Priority Pass™8 and the Marco Polo Club9, or hotel and car rental partner programs, simply call Platinum Card Service at 1-800-263-1616.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jerryhung
just got an email on NEW (but not so useful to me) benefits
Ok .... I got this email AT THE SAME TIME as you posted. Either you are really fast, or you get emailed before I am.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Ok .... I got this email AT THE SAME TIME as you posted. Either you are really fast, or you get emailed before I am.
I didn't get the email yet =(
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:57 am
wpj
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I have a quick question sorry if it was asked before.

If you cancel the canadian platinum card, and then you apply again as a new customer, do you get the 50K + 10K referral points? if so, how many months/years needs to wait between cancel/apply?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by wpj
I have a quick question sorry if it was asked before.

If you cancel the canadian platinum card, and then you apply again as a new customer, do you get the 50K + 10K referral points? if so, how many months/years needs to wait between cancel/apply?
Yes, you do. I would suggest a minimum of 5-6 months.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:00 am
wpj
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yes, you do. I would suggest a minimum of 5-6 months.
thanks ! is there a written policy or recent previous experience on the min term to qualify as new customer after you cancel?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by wpj
thanks ! is there a written policy or recent previous experience on the min term to qualify as new customer after you cancel?
The written policy is that you CANNOT get it again (and that obviously self-referrals are not eligible for bonus points). Therefore this delay is a result of just testing by various people. I'm pretty sure that as low as 3 months can be done, but it is not recommended simply because it's milking the system too much and all it can have as an eventual result is the cancellation of this very generous policy. So stick to the community average.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:37 am

For the $200 travel credit... If I book an Aeroplan flight can I use the $200 towards the taxes and fees ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.