Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Pending" transaction count towards spend?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 10:59 am
Original Poster

"Pending" transaction count towards spend?

I have a large transaction that is "pending" at the moment and will not post before my statement closes. If I can count the pending transaction it will put me over a spend threshold for a bonus. Do you know if AMEX will count the pending transaction or will I have to wait until next month for the bonus?
Old May 23, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I believe the charge must post AND that statement must be paid on time before any points (regular or bonus) will post, but it might depend on the specific product.

Might depend on what card you have, but on my unbraded Plat, I had the same situation where a transaction that would have taken me past the spend threshold was pending at the time that my first statement closed. It posted a day or two into the second cycle, and the signup bonus did not post to my MR account until a few days into my 4th cycle (I paid the bill for the 2nd cycle near the end of the 3rd cycle).

Hope that makes sense! From what I've heard around here, MR points generally post a few days after the close of the billing cycle following the purchases through which they are earned.

OTOH, I also have one of the DL Amex cards, and miles (bonus and regular) posted to my SM account a couple days after my first cycle closed (I met spend threshold during the first month). I had not even received the paper bill yet, let alone paid for it. But, it might be the difference between a credit and charge product.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The transaction will not count until it posts. However, some bonuses post on a cycle unrelated to the account billing cycle, and it may post sooner or later than your next statement. Once the points appear as "pending" on your Membership Rewards account you can ask customer service to manually post. No guarantee, but they will likely do this if you have paid the the statement balance in full.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info
Old May 24, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
My experience has been that bonuses post very quickly, and not necessarily in synch with the billing cycle. I do make a habit of paying my bill before the bill arrives, that might make a difference. Send them a check to cover the pending charge, it certainly can't hurt and there's a decent chance you'll get the bonus sooner.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:29 am

The main issue is that a "pending charge" is an authorization that has not yet been presented and/or processed by American Express. They've only authorized the transaction and have no way of knowing if you actually completed the transaction until the merchant claims for payment.

This is why you sometimes see "pending charges" that don't match the final amount. For example, a gas station might authorize $100 and then bill you the amount of gas you actually bought. A service like iTunes routinely puts a $1 pending charge just to make sure your credit card account is still active.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.