Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costco true earnings card

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by sam007
so next time i get my hand on a better amex card (i think costco only allows amex), i can submit my costco exec membership card and another amex. Right? This way, I'll get 2% for costco cash back and hopefully a nice newer card that gives me 5%

I can potentially do 7% here!!!
Well, we like the way you're thinking, and there are some advanced techniques you can use to get ~ 5% earnings at Costco (Use Chase Ink Bold charge card at Office Depot, purchasing Amex Prepaid refills -> Amex Prepaid Credit Card; see Frequent Milers blog for more info), but for the most part you can pay with any Amex at the checkout counter at Costco. I tend to use my SPG Amex @ Costco, but I am going to do the Amex Prepaid thing for all my Costco purchases as long as that play lasts. I'm just waiting for the Ink Bold card to arrive and then I have to get off this island of Maui to find an Office Depot, but I digress

-David
Old May 19, 2012, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

A couple points of clarification:

The Costco branded AMEX does yield 3 or 4 percent cash back at most gas stations including Costco. Fuel does not count towards the Executive rebate.

Also its a reasonable card at 1% cash back as there is no annual fee- so if you have a paid rewards card there is a 'breakeven' point to where it makes sense to have a free vs. paid card.

Will need to look into this Office Depot thing a bit more
Old May 19, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
That 2% is the annual rebate for your total costco spend, just for the Costco Exec membership. It has nothing to do with the Costco/True Earnings Amex card or spend on that card. You get that rebate from costco, if you are an exec member.

"Is exec membership worth it" is not that difficult to calculate. Your break even point is the difference between normal membership and exec membership pricing. I think the current difference is $55, isn't it? So that's your break even point. You take the annual rebate check from costco and if that's $55 or more, you have already broken even. They can do this calculation for you at any Costco membership desk.

You can add the value you get from your no-fee Costco/Amex card rebate to your costco exec rebate check and include that in the "is exec membership worth it" calculation. The rebate from the Amex/Costco card is a separate rebate, calculated separately on eligible spend on the Amex card: 4% for gas with an annual cap, if you have exec version; 2% for dining/travel; 1% elsewhere. You can also get some OPEN savings from the exec version of the card, but I don't think I would include them in this calculation since you can get them on any of the Amex/OPEN cards. (ie, SPG Biz Amex, and so on.)

As mentioned above, gas stations (any charge at a gas station works, costco gas stations excluded of course) are the winning category for this card*, plus it's a no-fee Amex/OPEN card, so it doesn't cost anything to get it/keep it.

-David
A few notes:

Costco will "guarantee your satisfaction" on the Executive membership. Basically that means if you don't get a minimum of $55 back (the buy-up from Gold to Exec) off your exec membership, they will refund you the difference. You will have to bug customer service on this.

The consumer TrueEarnings only gets 3% off gas. Business trueearnings gets 4%. It's also the *only* card that has a gas bonus at costco, as every other amex excludes warehouse clubs from bonuses. No 2% MR with your PRG unfortunately.

Personally, I carry the trueearnings card as my membership card and use it to buy gas, and SPG for actual in-warehouse purchases.
Old May 19, 2012, 8:57 pm

I too carry it as a membership card, it simply pays for itself and that alone is worth having the card!
Old May 20, 2012, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

The Costco branded AMEX does yield 3 or 4 percent cash back at most gas stations including Costco.
Thanks for the clarification on that. For some reason I thought they excluded Costco gas stations but that was just from the exec club rebate not the credit card rebate.

They are finally building a costco gas station here on Maui. It can't get here soon enough.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 20, 2012 at 3:57 am
Old May 22, 2012, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Thanks for the clarification on that. For some reason I thought they excluded Costco gas stations but that was just from the exec club rebate not the credit card rebate.

They are finally building a costco gas station here on Maui. It can't get here soon enough.

-David
I agree- that one has been needed for quite some time ^^
Old May 22, 2012, 2:34 am

I can't wait until they start selling Diesel myself!

Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by beckoa
The Costco branded AMEX does yield 3 or 4 percent cash back at most gas stations including Costco. Fuel does not count towards the Executive rebate.
Does anyone know if you need to pay at the pump in order to get the 3% or 4% rebate? There are standalone gas stations near me, but I prefer to pay inside since I can use other coupons to further reduce the cost of the gas.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by fti
Does anyone know if you need to pay at the pump in order to get the 3% or 4% rebate? There are standalone gas stations near me, but I prefer to pay inside since I can use other coupons to further reduce the cost of the gas.
Depends on how the transaction is encoded. If its a fuel purchase it *should* count towards the higher percentage, but if encoded as a misc purchase it drops down to a 1% rebate. Purchases at places such as Fred Meyers or Safeway for fuel are only 1%.

I think you have a running total at the bottom of each monthly statement that shows your rebate. One should be able to determine if it works definitively a month later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.