FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA CENTURION card program changes: maximum two authorized users @ $2500 each (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1341755-usa-centurion-card-program-changes-maximum-two-authorized-users-2500-each.html)

SusanDK Jul 3, 2012 1:59 am

Perhaps the attempt to cull the membership is so it will be easier, more attractive or less expensive for them to negotiate better perks. I would imagine if AmEx approaches, say, SPG or Hyatt or another airline, wishing to offer elite status to its Centurion members, it would make a big difference for the company if this will be going to 1,000 members vs. 10,000 members.

Even if AmEx is willing to pay a per member fee to the partner, the partner programme would not want to alienate its own elite members by comping too many Centurions with status.

We've already seen on FT that there are complaints about Cents getting elite status on airlines and 'stealing' upgrades from the BIS elites who earned their status the 'honest' way. Don't think that this isn't a known issue to both AmEx and their partners.

Perhaps I'm living in a dream world or am being very naive and the erosion of benefits combined with the increase in fees will just continue. For now, I still get adequate benefit from my Centurion to continue with the fee for my card, but we don't get enough for my husband to retain a supplementary Cent. We either travel together or I travel alone, so my perks generally get us what we need although it's nice if he gets the bonus miles and free upgrades based on his own status, and not have to rely on companion upgrades.

But I hope that my wishful thinking that AmEx has the bigger picture in mind and is working towards improved benefits will play out.

Susan

Steve M Jul 6, 2012 11:40 pm

I give props to Amex for the straightforward way they disclosed this change on the monthly statement:

"Effective September 1, 2012, we are increasing the annual fee for each Additional Centurion Card to $2,500 (previously, $1,500) ..."

The way such changes are typically communicated to customers by banks is by saying "the fee will now be $X" without mentioning specifically that a) it's an increase, and b) what the previous fee was.

brosnan6 Jul 8, 2012 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by wspfan (Post 18788056)
Nope - I asked. Really doesn't make sense now that AU's only pay $1500 for the same things we get and we pay $2500. However, if you sign up an AU before August 31st, the annual fee will be $1500 for the entire year - meaning it won't be pro-rated when things change Sept 1. So sign up any AU's closest to August 31st.

I wouldn't say that both primary and AUs get the same benefits. Take for example the $200 airline fee credit -- that's only valid once per account, regardless of how many cards or type of cards are under that account. Now that would be cool if with this fee increase they added the $200 fee credit to EACH AU, but that's just wishful thinking.

sdix Jul 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Got the official letter from AmEx today re the supplemential fee change. They position it as that because the supp card has all the benefits of the main card they are now charging full rate for it. I suppose there's some logic to that but really they are saying there are no supplemental card benefits anymore unless you add Gold or Plat but then the benefits are those of Gold or plat.

wspfan Jul 18, 2012 6:58 am

Got letter too

Communication is going out in Statements, direct letters and phone calls. AMX informed me they want all Centurions to be aware of the changes without any issues. Game changes September 1st.

pterostyrax Jul 21, 2012 3:52 pm

$1000 increase for secondary Centurion cardmembers

I am posting this mainly for the possibility that AMEX employees might monitor this site. We just received a letter that secondary Centurion card members will now be charged the same yearly amount as the primary card member.

If someone from AMEX monitors this site, then here is why we will cancel our membership with AMEX Centurion. First, at one time the benefits we received from Centurion regarding travel were well worth the cost of entry. Due to the elimination of many benefits during the last few years, it became questionable as to whether the benefits outweighed the costs, but we decided the benefits were still worth the cost depending on our travel.

However, with the increase of $1000 for yearly membership fees for a secondary cardholder, this no longer makes sense. We have averaged over $250,000/year spending on our Centurion card. We will now take our business elsewhere. The cost of paying for the amenities rather than receiving them from the Centurion benefits are clearly a better deal.

I suspect that there are certain folks who will consider the flash of a Centurion card still worth the expense. However, my mama did not raise a fool.

Good luck in the future with the Centurion card, AMEX. Anyone with half a brain will cancel.

redtop43 Jul 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 18884513)
I give props to Amex for the straightforward way they disclosed this change on the monthly statement:

"Effective September 1, 2012, we are increasing the annual fee for each Additional Centurion Card to $2,500 (previously, $1,500) ..."

The way such changes are typically communicated to customers by banks is by saying "the fee will now be $X" without mentioning specifically that a) it's an increase, and b) what the previous fee was.

"The party has increased the chocolate ration from 20 grams to 25 grams."

- George Orwell, "1984" (paraphrased)

tangfish Jul 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Please let me know what other card you find that has equal or better benefits for a lesser cost. I have yet to find one.

Originally Posted by pterostyrax (Post 18976224)
I am posting this mainly for the possibility that AMEX employees might monitor this site. We just received a letter that secondary Centurion card members will now be charged the same yearly amount as the primary card member.

If someone from AMEX monitors this site, then here is why we will cancel our membership with AMEX Centurion. First, at one time the benefits we received from Centurion regarding travel were well worth the cost of entry. Due to the elimination of many benefits during the last few years, it became questionable as to whether the benefits outweighed the costs, but we decided the benefits were still worth the cost depending on our travel.

However, with the increase of $1000 for yearly membership fees for a secondary cardholder, this no longer makes sense. We have averaged over $250,000/year spending on our Centurion card. We will now take our business elsewhere. The cost of paying for the amenities rather than receiving them from the Centurion benefits are clearly a better deal.

I suspect that there are certain folks who will consider the flash of a Centurion card still worth the expense. However, my mama did not raise a fool.

Good luck in the future with the Centurion card, AMEX. Anyone with half a brain will cancel.

parpar22 Jul 21, 2012 11:44 pm

I think they may be trying to weed out the members who just charge around 250,000 a year which was the threshold for membership. Getting the pool down to a more exclusive clientele which they can then sell to partners to give benefits. So instead of asking united for 10,000 elite statuses they only have to ask for 5,000. Which makes it possible for them to add more benefits and justify the price. I am upset about the price increase seeing we spend around 250-250,000 a MONTH with centurion.

FlyerTalker683455 Jul 23, 2012 1:14 am

Originally Posted by parpar22 (Post 18977765)
I think they may be trying to weed out the members who just charge around 250,000 a year which was the threshold for membership. Getting the pool down to a more exclusive clientele which they can then sell to partners to give benefits. So instead of asking united for 10,000 elite statuses they only have to ask for 5,000. Which makes it possible for them to add more benefits and justify the price. I am upset about the price increase seeing we spend around 250-250,000 a MONTH with centurion.

Maybe. But at 5k there has to be a bit of meat to the offerings.

In Canada they made the supplemental Cent card complimentary, probably due to limited ability to offer more perks.

GNALUZU Jul 23, 2012 9:46 am

So, drop your supplemental card holders and maintain your primary account. You won't see any price change, since the primary card holder is already $2,500 per year. Also, if they do increase the benefits you will still be a member and can add the supplemental cards back.

I am guessing that if you drop the card it will be pretty challenging to get another invitation since it is rumored that they have changed their qualifications.

some dude Jul 24, 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by GNALUZU (Post 18985447)
I am guessing that if you drop the card it will be pretty challenging to get another invitation since it is rumored that they have changed their qualifications.

As someone who's spent >$1M in the last 12 months and has not received an invite, I can confirm that it's certainly changed...

wspfan Jul 31, 2012 6:53 am

30 days left to add your AU - deadline September 1st!! For those of you not checking statements or letters in the mails. Good luck

wayzfam Aug 15, 2012 6:44 am

USA CENTURION card program changes: maximum two authorized users @ $2500 each

They are still only giving one $200 airline credit per account even though the au is the same $2,500. Seems a bit unfair. If the justification is that the benefits are the same, each card should get the $200 airline credit.

b8b Aug 15, 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by wayzfam (Post 19126246)
They are still only giving one $200 airline credit per account even though the au is the same $2,500. Seems a bit unfair. If the justification is that the benefits are the same, each card should get the $200 airline credit.

Great point. This and the Centurion "gifts" of free hotel nights and other perks.