FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA CENTURION card program changes: maximum two authorized users @ $2500 each (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1341755-usa-centurion-card-program-changes-maximum-two-authorized-users-2500-each.html)

ironmanjt Jun 21, 2012 11:29 am

Originally Posted by wspfan (Post 18788056)
FINALLY, keep in mind that if enough Centurion members complain about the change in AU's, they will likely change it back. That came from a Centurion Supervisor.

The didn't change their mind when we complained about SPG, Continental, etc etc etc, what makes you think they would now? :D

TheFlyingPapaya Jun 21, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm glad they are thinning the ranks. Individuals who can't get it on their own should not have one.

GNALUZU Jun 21, 2012 5:50 pm

If they keep cutting the benefits they won't have to worry about thinning the ranks on their own.

But, to your statement, if you qualify for the card and your wife doesn't (because she is a stay at home mom) then you wouldn't want the option of giving her a supplemental card? Not very nice of you.

JoshC Jun 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingPapaya (Post 18798309)
I'm glad they are thinning the ranks. Individuals who can't get it on their own should not have one.

My wife would disagree. :D

TheFlyingPapaya Jun 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Spouses are the exception. I have friends who freely gave it out to their friends as long as they pay the annual fee. I don't agree with this. I agree with the max of 2. I would never add my children as an AU.

sdix Jun 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Centurion Supplemental Card goes to $2500

Effective September 2012. Ouch.... From $1500

mia Jun 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Moderator action

sdix's post merged into existing discussion. Title updated to summarize changes.

Centurion Jun 30, 2012 8:45 pm

1st thanks to WSPAN fan for giving us the news before Amex did. 2nd I hear Amex is working on getting Centurion members status on American Airlines;) Yes that a joke since US Air is a potential buyer of AA.

S.Bling Jun 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 18850193)
1st thanks to WSPAN fan for giving us the news before Amex did. 2nd I hear Amex is working on getting Centurion members status on American Airlines;) Yes that a joke since US Air is a potential buyer of AA.

Not sure who might have suggested this to you: AA is closely affiliated with Citi and their cards (just like UA is with Chase). They have very minimal relationships with Amex (their quasi-independent department Admirals club notwithstanding), and have never (to my knowledge) even allowed MR transfers.

Centurion Jun 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Amex is not a US Air MR partner and you get US Air elite status so not sure your justification. Yes AA has a a credit card relationship with Citi but Amex has a Admirals club relationship with AA. Also since AA is in bankruptcy they can terminate with AA or carve out a new agreement. That is one of the thinks Bankruptcy courts do they let you modify and break contracts, etc.

Also unknown to many are carve out agreements between airlines and credit card companies. An example might be that everyone thinks every US Air credit card holder was switched to be Juniper Barclays Bank. I just happen to hold a Bank of America US Air credit card not a debit card.

SusanDK Jul 2, 2012 5:09 am

Originally Posted by sdix (Post 18849727)
Effective September 2012. Ouch.... From $1500

Ouch is right. I just saw this on my statement. I will probably cancel my husband's supplementary card, as even keeping it at $1500 was questionable. We mainly did it so we were both DL Platinum for the 4 x SWUs each, but may just drop to a single Cent. account now.

Susan

bubu-SNA Jul 2, 2012 9:52 am

...I'm very disappointed in the decision to raise the supplemental fee.

sdix Jul 2, 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK (Post 18855927)
Ouch is right. I just saw this on my statement. I will probably cancel my husband's supplementary card, as even keeping it at $1500 was questionable. We mainly did it so we were both DL Platinum for the 4 x SWUs each, but may just drop to a single Cent. account now.

Susan

Although my wife and I do travel extensively and do get benefits from the hotel and airline benefits there's no question that the value of the card has come down in recent years.

I wonder what the justification for the raise is? Are they trying to thin out the ranks? Another $1000 a year on top of the already high supplemental fee will buy a couple of lounge memberships and with some more careful consideration our travel could be managed better to allow us to both hit top levels in 1 or 2 air and hotel programs.

As it is now I spread my travel between Virgin, US and Delta. Without the card I'd probably focus in on US for *Alliance benes.

I guess I have until renewal time (Jan for me) to see what they add to the program that will make it worthwhile.

Centurion Jul 2, 2012 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA (Post 18857387)
...I'm very disappointed in the decision to raise the supplemental fee.

I AGREE. Amex better add a boat load of new perks.

DownUnderFlyer Jul 2, 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 18860372)
I AGREE. Amex better add a boat load of new perks.

Won't happen. Australia just raised their fee to US$5200, reduced the MR earnings for most people.
Added benefits were Carlson and Accor Status and one guest for Priority Pass.
Those additions don't even outweigh the reduction in Mandarin Oriental benefits, never mind fee increase etc.