Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR and consolidator (Priceline, Expedia) bookings on same stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FHR and consolidator (Priceline, Expedia) bookings on same stay?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by suzuko98
To put the priceline room at either end of my reservation would mean a loss of either one of the early/late checkout features that I am actually entitled too. I don't think most people would prefer to lose either if they had a choice.
The new early check in is not something one is entitled to. It's a subject to availability deal.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by suzuko98
Contrary to what you may believe its not my intention to "be the biggest jerk possible" and hold employees hostage in terms of keeping an upgraded room.
What you are doing is trying to make it as awkward as possible for the hotel to not give you what you want, which is something that you are *not* entitled to.

[Moderator edit]

It is, however, my intention to maximize the benefits of a credit card that I dish out a $450 annual fee for, and to enjoy a brief respite from a 7 day work week in a way that would make me happiest.
You are act awfully entitled for your $450 fee. Upgrading a priceline room rate is *not* one of the benefits of your card, or your $450 fee, it is something right outside the bounds of everything. It's the wrong rate, and not booked through Amex. The FHR program is meant to benefit everyone: the hotel, the guest, and Amex. What you want is for it to benefit you and nobody else which is not how the program is intended to work.

In order to deny you this (which is what would be the correct thing to do) they are going to have to move you twice which just puts a burden on everyone.

So what you're doing is giving them the choice:

Either (a) we all go through some awkward checkin-checkout dance together and waste a lot of time and resources or (b) give me something I'm not entitled to.

When people abuse the benefits that they *do* get from these cards and programs (which is what you are trying to do, in order to get FHR benefits to apply to a non-Amex booking on a non-FHR rate), I think that it causes the hotels to review whether these policies are beneficial to the hotel at all. It's not worth it to the hotel if all of the so-called high end Amex FHR clients come in with priceline rates, make things difficult for them and increase costs.

Already we're seeing in this program what seems to be some re-thinking on the cost/benefit side from the hotels. People doing what you do further sink that benefit to the hotel and drive up the costs. There is no point for them to offer you or any of us anything if everyone plays the kind of game you are playing.

As I put above you have a much more reasonable approach which is to book your rooms end to end rather than putting this priceline room in the middle. You are exactly holding them hostage by booking in an unreasonable manner in order to try to get something you are not entitled to. If you just did it in a respectful way from the get go you might actually get it, rather than doing your best to arm twist them into getting it.

But by all means, your happiness should be the thing you should worry about most, and keep telling yourself that it's about maximizing your benefits when your benefits clearly do not apply.

Last edited by mia; Apr 6, 2012 at 8:00 am Reason: Remove personal characterization
Old Apr 6, 2012, 7:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator reminder

Please write about American Express, travel agencies, and hotels not about each other. It's not necessary to use personal characterizations to make the points understood.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Preferred Hotels and Resorts, Historic Hotels of America, HSMAI, CRME
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Can they actually tell who you have book via?
Someone at the hotel can see how you have booked. Generally speaking, the revenue managers, reservations teams and managers, and duty supervisors are all privy to this information. However, depending on the system used at the hotel, line-level employees have very little access to any details beyond the basics. For example, the bellman is able to see your room number and check-in and check-out information, but not how you booked, what you paid, or your CC information. Similar for other positions around the hotel.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by S.Bling
Yes, you will be treated better - but that is not the reason.

The reason is that compared to Priceline and/or Expedia, anyone will be treated better (not just Amex or FHR).

When you book any hotel via Expedia or a similar site - they are paid a very low negotiated rate, which is significantly below even the lowest available direct rate with the hotel, including any corporate rates and many industry discounts.

Simply put, when you appear at a $200-per-night hotel, and in their eyes you have paid them $45; the last thing they will be thinking is how to help you or treat you special.
I have had in-depth discussions with front-office managers, duty managers, and revenue managers regarding this - and the difference between what any of the travel-consolidator websites pay them and what any other guest pays them is truly astounding.

The revenue is simply so low that it would be a significant waste of their time to do anything special to you.

At one particular hotel, I checked in together with a colleague:
1. They reserved through the hotel's website, using a special promotional code.
2. I paid through expedia, and paid actually $10 more than them (but the expedia rate included breakfast - which I why I chose it).

I had stayed at that hotel more than a dozen times, for several years.
My colleague had stayed their once before, one year previously.

They were offered an upgrade, and also given the opportunity to pay a nominal fee for a double upgrade (they took the free offer).
I was offered no upgrade - so I asked if I could have one as well (understand we were both checking together, with the same clerk).
I was told "for what we get paid from your reservation, you're lucky you have a room" and was then directed to the front-office manager who very kindly and apologetically gave me a detailed education in to how expedia-type bookings are done and received.

I was told that I could have paid the hotel directly, either using their own website or amex FHR or Visa signature (in all such cases the revenue goes directly from you to the hotel), and I would have immediately been given a double upgrade (based on guest history) and probably also comped breakfast if I asked (so there was no reason to have used Expedia's special offer).

However, since the hotel received roughly $50-per-night for my reservation from expedia (versus the $189 that expedia showed as part of my package pricing), there was no way that they could extend any consideration for such a booking.

I was sympathetic, and have never used Expedia there again.

Subsequently, I confirmed similar information with other managers at upscale hotels in the US and Canada...

As a reservations/ revenue manager of a luxury property, I can confirm that the amount of $$ we receive on an OTA (online travel agent) booking is menial. They take commissions and fees "off the top." For a booking of approx $300 on an OTA, we receive around $150, depending on the OTA and how it is sold. Many properties (not all) are happy to price match because if we price-match and book you directly we receive all $300. Even if we discount it more, let's say to $275, you are getting a better deal and so are we! Not only this but if you have to change your dates, cancel, change rooms etc. we have greater flexibility in making changes than with reservations that have come through 3rd parties. You'd be surprised how little we can change with those bookings. Additionally, OTAs make decisions about refunds/ penalties and occasionally (not always) blame the refund denial on the property itself. I have fielded angry calls from guests who were denied a refund from an OTA after I had approved it from the property level. ALWAYS book with the hotel directly! It will save you a hassle! Trust me!
NYC Flyer, Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. Note that the thread to which you are replying dates to 2012.

Originally Posted by LuxuryResManager
.... ALWAYS book with the hotel directly! It will save you a hassle! Trust me!
Why does your property contract to be listed by Online Travel Agencies if you are not satisfied with the value proposition?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:46 pm

Great question! They have a large amount of money dedicated to marketing efforts. If you are visiting a city to which you have never been, you (like many travelers) would conduct an online search to find accommodations. Generally speaking, Expedia, Booking.com, and the like, are the first sites that appear on searches such as those. They also conduct direct-to-consumer marketing to their member base. Simply put, they can reach more bookers. This is especially so for new hotel properties who have yet to establish a "following." Any revenue manager will tell you that OTAs are a necessary evil, a love-hate relationship if you will. OTAs help us to fill empty rooms on nights when the demand is lower and they help us to reach guests who may not have found us otherwise.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In the early days of Priceline, when it was really the "name your own price" site, there were serious problems with hotels' having a "Priceline attitude" (I'm talking about you, New York Hilton). In those days the rates were really extraordinarily low, a much bigger price difference than these days. The NY Hilton was notorious for sticking people in these undersized rooms with one double bed next to the stairwell, and then sneering at people when they asked for something better. I find that to be much less of a problem these days, partly because there are SO MANY different rates from so many different suppliers that it is really hard to single out any group for scorn, and partly because the rate differentials are not what they used to be. However, given the hotel companies' ongoing campaigns to get you to book directly with them, they must be advising the hotels to try to make a good impression with the people who comply.

All that said, just being nice and engaging at checkin can go a long way, even on a bargain-basement rate.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you want to take advantage of free marketing by ota but treat the guests who book through them as second tier?
i can assure you that such approach is far more likely to make said guests annoyed with your property, not ota, and promptly post negative reviews on ota and everywhere else... and of course ypu aint gonna see them coming back on any rate..

Originally Posted by LuxuryResManager
Great question! They have a large amount of money dedicated to marketing efforts. If you are visiting a city to which you have never been, you (like many travelers) would conduct an online search to find accommodations. Generally speaking, Expedia, Booking.com, and the like, are the first sites that appear on searches such as those. They also conduct direct-to-consumer marketing to their member base. Simply put, they can reach more bookers. This is especially so for new hotel properties who have yet to establish a "following." Any revenue manager will tell you that OTAs are a necessary evil, a love-hate relationship if you will. OTAs help us to fill empty rooms on nights when the demand is lower and they help us to reach guests who may not have found us otherwise.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by azepine00
So you want to take advantage of free marketing by ota but treat the guests who book through them as second tier?
i can assure you that such approach is far more likely to make said guests annoyed with your property, not ota, and promptly post negative reviews on ota and everywhere else... and of course ypu aint gonna see them coming back on any rate..
This is a good point. I'd also suggest that to the extent the OTA is "filling empty rooms", the marginal profit on the revenue to the hotel is exceedingly high. Staff's poor behavior/attidude (which I haven't personally experienced on Priceline and other opaque bookings) is an indication of laziness/lack of training. Staff need to better understand that the "piker" guests are helping ensure their job security.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by S.Bling
I was told "for what we get paid from your reservation, you're lucky you have a room" and was then directed to the front-office manager who very kindly and apologetically gave me a detailed education in to how expedia-type bookings are done and received.
I was sympathetic, and have never used Expedia there again.
After the snide comment by the front desk clerk, I would be far from sympathetic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.