Wiki Posts
Search

Keep one Amex card or close it or something else

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Keep one Amex card or close it or something else

Wife's PGR is almost due for the $175 renewal. She hasn't spend much money on it, so there will be no retention bonus. All her MR points have been transferred to airline. This PGR is her only Amex card. Here are the choices I can think of:

1) close PGR - downside is no more card with Amex. Credit history will show short holding period.

2) get any current Amex offers - nothing really good out there. She does not want to get the Platinum (or MB Plat) with 50,000 points and $450/$475 annual fee. Delta Amex offer is only for 35,000 miles with $750 spend.

Are there other choices or consideration?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:34 pm

Ask if you can convert it to a no-fee card, then put a small charge on it every few months to keep the account alive. This will benefit her credit report by increasing average age of accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.