Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to redeem for first class [WAS-LAS]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Best way to redeem for first class [WAS-LAS]

Hey guys, I frequent the forums looks for the best way to use our MR points. Last year I got 4 round trip first class tickets from DCA-LAS for around 80,000 points and on Continental. (I have no idea if it was a good deal, but it beats paying close to $10,000!!

Anyway, my mom wants to go to Vegas in the coming weeks for about a week and since Continental doesn't allow transfer points from AMEX anymore does anyone have any idea on the best way(s) to redeem points for a first class ticket?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by rapmaster0
Hey guys, I frequent the forums looks for the best way to use our MR points. Last year I got 4 round trip first class tickets from DCA-LAS for around 80,000 points and on Continental. (I have no idea if it was a good deal, but it beats paying close to $10,000!!

Anyway, my mom wants to go to Vegas in the coming weeks for about a week and since Continental doesn't allow transfer points from AMEX anymore does anyone have any idea on the best way(s) to redeem points for a first class ticket?
Transfer your points to Aeroplan and book a Star Alliance award through them.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey guys, I frequent the forums looks for the best way to use our MR points. Last year I got 4 round trip first class tickets from DCA-LAS for around 80,000 points and on Continental.
In what world are domestic first class tickets only 20k miles round-trip?
...since Continental doesn't allow transfer points from AMEX anymore does anyone have any idea on the best way(s) to redeem points for a first class ticket?
Try another airline/program. Though typically it'll cost at least 50k miles r/t for each.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Well what I did was transfer 80,000 MR to Continental and then brought 20,000MR from AMEX (I didn't want to use all the point) and it was an day that the first class was cheaper points. I'll double check what I did, but since Continental doesn't do anymore transfers, I'll try Aeroplan and see where it takes me! Thanks guys.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Okay, just tried to transfer points to Aeroplan after signing up and I have NO idea how to do it. It doesn't list them as a partner on the AMEX site. Any ideas?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Be *really* careful with that advice as the chances of finding the seats you want through Aeroplan are really slim, and I'm not sure if you're misremembering those prices, but they certainly won't be 25k per person now.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:19 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...tried to transfer points to Aeroplan after signing up and I have NO idea how to do it. It doesn't list them as a partner on the AMEX site.
1. In which country is your American Express card issued?

2. What is the exact name of your American Express card.

3. NEVER transfer points until you have verified that award seats are available to your dates. Membership Rewards to Aeroplan is an instantaneous transfer, you can do it during the process of booking the awards, no need to transfer sooner.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
1. In which country is your American Express card issued?
Unites States.

Originally Posted by mia
2. What is the exact name of your American Express card.
American Express Business Platinum

And thanks for the advice. I have no idea how I got lucky because now I cannot get a freaking direct flight from DCA to LAS -- I guess United cut back from direct flights?

I don't mind booking her on a different airline, just direct and first class. Since we have points I thought it would be worth it ya kno?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: No preference
Isn't there currently a BA Avios bonus? transfer MR to BA for the bonus. BA Avios can be used on AA planes.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
Isn't there currently a BA Avios bonus? transfer MR to BA for the bonus. BA Avios can be used on AA planes.
Yes, 50% through the end of May: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...31-2012-a.html.

And OP, remember that MR transfers cannot be reversed so be sure you can get the flights on the days and times you want and for the redemption value you want or you may be stuck with miles in a program that might be somewhat useless to you.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:27 pm
mia

United States.
Click here to see a list of the Membership Rewards transfer partners. Air Canada Aeroplan is the third icon in the first row:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...readcrumb=true

You will need to join Aeroplan if you do already have an account.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Cool, thanks guys. Let me check out AA and see what they have. I will post results!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
BA Avios actually provide excellent value for domestic US trips on AA.
Won't be a direct flight but you can probably find award seats through DFW or ORD. This should only be 14.5k Avios, so around 30RT, which will cost you even less AMEX MR with the current bonus.

Just make sure there is award availability, using British Airway's search engine.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporateslave
BA Avios actually provide excellent value for domestic US trips on AA.
Won't be a direct flight but you can probably find award seats through DFW or ORD. This should only be 14.5k Avios, so around 30RT, which will cost you even less AMEX MR with the current bonus.

Just make sure there is award availability, using British Airway's search engine.
Yeah this is getting a bit hard seeing how there are a lot of 1 stop flights, but a few nonstop flights, and what makes it harder is that the perfect one has an redeye on the return lol (with US Air)....still looking
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by corporateslave
...should only be 14.5k Avios, so around 30RT,
In First Class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.