Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:50 pm

Can someone explain why I wasn’t charged the $45 fee last month? I dropped well below the 25k average daily balance in my CashPlus and was expecting a $45 fee. I’ve had the CashPlus and Access Investing accounts open for 7 months and have already passed the grace period. My account fee status is green for the $5k deposits and "yes" for the investing relationship, but the monthly average BDP balance is red and says "fee not charged." I looked in the CashPlus disclosure agreement and this is what it says:
"If the CashPlus Accounts in your ALG, collectively (emphasis mine), satisfy the following criteria, the monthly fee can be avoided. An ALG is a group of accounts, with the same mailing address, which you request to consolidate for purposes of statement mailings and online access. Each ALG receives its statements in a single envelope showing the value of each linked account. If you link your account(s) with account(s) owned by others, your personal and financial information will be provided to such other account owner(s) by virtue of being included in an ALG. Some account types (e.g., 529 accounts, etc.) cannot be included in any CashPlus ALG.

• $5,000 monthly recurring deposit; AND

• $25,000 average daily BDP balance; AND

• Morgan Stanley Online enrollment; AND

• another qualified non-CashPlus Morgan Stanley account"

I also called them this morning and asked how to avoid the fee and they reiterated these terms.

I collectively have over 25k in my CashPlus and Access Investing in my ALG. Is that all that’s needed?? I was under the impression I had to have 25k in my CashPlus (regardless of other accounts) in order to avoid the fee…What am I missing?

Last edited by tonesims; Nov 3, 2021 at 12:55 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by tonesims
My account fee status is green for the $5k deposits and "yes" for the investing relationship, but the monthly average BDP balance is red and says "fee not charged."
The Average Daily BDP Balance graphic has a value following the word "Final:" underneath the balance gauge. What does the final value say? Sometimes my BDP graphic is red even though the final value is greater than $25,000. It's a glitch that should show green.

If your final value is less than $25,000, then I don't know why you weren't charged.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:42 pm

If you go to account fee status, it mentions that the account fee status will be available on a certain date. Has that date passed?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by holyPockets
The Average Daily BDP Balance graphic has a value following the word "Final:" underneath the balance gauge. What does the final value say? Sometimes my BDP graphic is red even though the final value is greater than $25,000. It's a glitch that should show green.

If your final value is less than $25,000, then I don't know why you weren't charged.
Final value is only $12,206. I had a number of big expenses last month and probably won't be back above 25k for a few more months. I can report back whether I'm charged in subsequent months. I do think this is an interesting DP. It's possible it's a bug, but after reading the disclosure again I'm unsure...
Old Nov 3, 2021, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by josephs
If you go to account fee status, it mentions that the account fee status will be available on a certain date. Has that date passed?
For October it said something to the effect of "You will be charged a $45 fee unless you make a transfer" and gave me a link to make a transfer to avoid it. For November, it says my account fee status will be updated on 11/18. I'm guessing it'll say the same thing as October.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Can someone explain why I wasn’t charged the $45 fee last month? I dropped well below the 25k average daily balance in my CashPlus and was expecting a $45 fee. I’ve had the CashPlus and Access Investing accounts open for 7 months and have already passed the grace period. My account fee status is green for the $5k deposits and "yes" for the investing relationship, but the monthly average BDP balance is red and says "fee not charged." I looked in the CashPlus disclosure agreement and this is what it says:
"If the CashPlus Accounts in your ALG, collectively (emphasis mine), satisfy the following criteria, the monthly fee can be avoided. An ALG is a group of accounts, with the same mailing address, which you request to consolidate for purposes of statement mailings and online access. Each ALG receives its statements in a single envelope showing the value of each linked account. If you link your account(s) with account(s) owned by others, your personal and financial information will be provided to such other account owner(s) by virtue of being included in an ALG. Some account types (e.g., 529 accounts, etc.) cannot be included in any CashPlus ALG.

• $5,000 monthly recurring deposit; AND

• $25,000 average daily BDP balance; AND

• Morgan Stanley Online enrollment; AND

• another qualified non-CashPlus Morgan Stanley account"

I also called them this morning and asked how to avoid the fee and they reiterated these terms.

I collectively have over 25k in my CashPlus and Access Investing in my ALG. Is that all that’s needed?? I was under the impression I had to have 25k in my CashPlus (regardless of other accounts) in order to avoid the fee…What am I missing?
Well, it’s certainly possible that if you have 25k total it works—perhaps not as intended. I think most people here just threw $5k into Access Investing and $25k cash into the CashPlus account and haven’t run into your specific issue. My Average Daily BDP balance is listed as $25,001 which reflects my balance of the CashPlus without regards to the amount in the Access Investing account.

If you truly only need $25k total, I would rather invest $25k with their platform and not keep $25k in a 0.01% interest account.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:54 pm

I believe the account fee and bonus transactions are all run through scheduled batch jobs. For instance, Access Investing fees will be withdrawn on a date that won't correspond to your account opening date, just whatever batch cycle your account got slotted into - for me that's the 7th of every month. My experience is mostly with health insurance billing systems, but I've seen parallels where it would be easy to reflect things like the "fee avoidance tracker" using basic transactional data but then the actual fee assessment would require complex reconciliation of multiple data sources, including client relationship rules to apply relevant fee structures and journaling the fee transactions through separate systems for audit and compliance (usually to be supplied to 3rd party auditors / regulators).
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
I believe the account fee and bonus transactions are all run through scheduled batch jobs. For instance, Access Investing fees will be withdrawn on a date that won't correspond to your account opening date, just whatever batch cycle your account got slotted into - for me that's the 7th of every month. My experience is mostly with health insurance billing systems, but I've seen parallels where it would be easy to reflect things like the "fee avoidance tracker" using basic transactional data but then the actual fee assessment would require complex reconciliation of multiple data sources, including client relationship rules to apply relevant fee structures and journaling the fee transactions through separate systems for audit and compliance (usually to be supplied to 3rd party auditors / regulators).
I had not thought of that. My Access Investing fee also comes out on the 7th. I'll report back whether the CashPlus fee comes out or not.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by chiyulin71
I'm wondering how I can use the other three enrollment quota so my family members can benefit too. Currently I'm the only owner of the Access Investment account and CashPlus Platinum account. I tried to sigh my wife up for the Experian service but was declined.

So, should I do one of the following?
1. Add her as the joint owner to Access Investment, or Cashplus Platinum, or both?
2. Open another account for her self and add it to the Account Link Group?

Please advice!

Thanks!
you have to call in and make the account a joint account and add in your wife’s name and provide a social security number.

Once that is in then I signed her up with experian
Old Nov 6, 2021, 10:31 pm

I had not thought of that. My Access Investing fee also comes out on the 7th. I'll report back whether the CashPlus fee comes out or not.
Access Investing fee actually came out on Friday the 5th since the 7th landed on a business day. Still no $45 fee for CashPlus. Will report back at the beginning of December.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
If I close my Morgan Stanley Access Investing & Platinum CashPlus accounts, will I be able to keep my AmEx Platinum Morgan Stanley card since I paid the $695 annual fee back in September 2021?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by jimcoddington
If I close my Morgan Stanley Access Investing & Platinum CashPlus accounts, will I be able to keep my AmEx Platinum Morgan Stanley card since I paid the $695 annual fee back in September 2021?
Unlikely. This is a couple years old, but eventually if you don't have any eligible Morgan Stanley accounts that syncs back to Amex: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ts-dont-panic/
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:11 am

Unlikely. This is a couple years old, but eventually if you don't have any eligible Morgan Stanley accounts that syncs back to Amex: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ts-dont-panic/
So do I need to have two accounts open: Morgan Stanley Access Investing & Platinum CashPlus, or can I simply just have the Morgan Stanley Access Investing account open?
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
So do I need to have two accounts open: Morgan Stanley Access Investing & Platinum CashPlus, or can I simply just have the Morgan Stanley Access Investing account open?
The Platinum CashPlus is for the $695 credit. If you don't care about it, then it's not needed for the MS AMEX Platinum card.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
The Platinum CashPlus is for the $695 credit. If you don't care about it, then it's not needed for the MS AMEX Platinum card.
So I just need the Morgan Stanley Access Investing account, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.