Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 3:24 pm

Thank you all for the pointers. I was able to call in and open the Cash Plus Platinum Account. The Rep took my Access Investing Account Number and told that he will link both of them. I got an email confirming that my account has been opened and I should login to my Morgan Stanley Online Account. But when I login, I don't see the Cash Plus Account there. I am going to call in again and ask what's going on.

To all those who opened the account, Did it take a day or two for the Cash Plus account to show up on your account?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kartheek Alladi
To all those who opened the account, Did it take a day or two for the Cash Plus account to show up on your account?
Yeah it took 2-3 days for it to show up for me.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by steve4
I’m currently waiting for my bonus to post. My timeline was similar.
I met the fee avoidance criteria in the first month (balance, transfer etc), no idea if that helped expedite it or if it's based on the account open date.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by GoodOmens
I met the fee avoidance criteria in the first month (balance, transfer etc), no idea if that helped expedite it or if it's based on the account open date.
The term states bonus posts either the month after meeting fee avoidance criteria or after the 3-month grace period.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by onceking
The term states bonus posts either the month after meeting fee avoidance criteria or after the 3-month grace period.
These might be the same in my case since I met the fee avoidance criteria earlier this month and the grace period is scheduled to end on 6/30.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
If the fee keeps increasing, this may be the go to card.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:06 am
formerly willbbiddy

Search is terrible and I'm on mobile, bit are there any DPs on having access and MS Amex plat then opening the cash plus account? I've had both for over a year (2Afs I could have avoided)

If I open the cash plus will I get my 550 still or is there a certain order. In the future is the 550 on the same date or will it line up with my card AF?

Thanks 😊
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by BirdLawyer
Search is terrible and I'm on mobile, bit are there any DPs on having access and MS Amex plat then opening the cash plus account? I've had both for over a year (2Afs I could have avoided)

If I open the cash plus will I get my 550 still or is there a certain order. In the future is the 550 on the same date or will it line up with my card AF?

Thanks 😊
Yes, I had Access Investing, then MS Platinum, then CashPlus and was able to get the $550 engagement bonus. It took a significant amount of effort to get the $550 paid out due to MS incompetence.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Morgan Stanley MR sign up points bonus.

I held the Business Platinum AMEX since 2005 and about 3 years ago I applied for the personal card and cancelled the first card. I believe I received a points bonus when i applied for the personal card but I don't recall the amount. I have decided to go with the Morgan Stanley version primarily because of the annual engagement bonus to cover the fee and the free AU.
I have searched without much success to find out if I qualify for the Points bonus offer, I am going to get the card either way but the points bonus would be a nice extra value. I found one post here from someone who got the bonus only to get it pulled back later. The card agreement and T&C didn't address the issue that I could find.
Any recent experiences?
Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by m.photog
I held the Business Platinum AMEX since 2005 and about 3 years ago I applied for the personal card and cancelled the first card. I believe I received a points bonus when i applied for the personal card but I don't recall the amount. I have decided to go with the Morgan Stanley version primarily because of the annual engagement bonus to cover the fee and the free AU.
I have searched without much success to find out if I qualify for the Points bonus offer, I am going to get the card either way but the points bonus would be a nice extra value. I found one post here from someone who got the bonus only to get it pulled back later. The card agreement and T&C didn't address the issue that I could find.
Any recent experiences?
I recently got this card, but I’m still working on getting the bonus. Since different AMEX Platinum cards (Charles Schwab, Morgan Stanley, etc) count as different products, you should be able to get the bonus on each one in time.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Whether you received a points bonus is immaterial. Merely holding a card product is enough to make you ineligible until Amex forgets you had it (7 years?). In this case, you’re good to go because vanilla personal plat and MS personal plat are different products.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:28 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by steve4
I recently got this card, but I’m still working on getting the bonus. Since different AMEX Platinum cards (Charles Schwab, Morgan Stanley, etc) count as different products, you should be able to get the bonus on each one in time.
Originally Posted by esquiar
Whether you received a points bonus is immaterial. Merely holding a card product is enough to make you ineligible until Amex forgets you had it (7 years?). In this case, you’re good to go because vanilla personal plat and MS personal plat are different products.
Thanks for your thoughts on this. As mentioned, I am primarily interested in the engagement bonus and since I'm going to be working with MS anyway this seems like a good fit. I will report back when I find out how it works out.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:32 pm

I opened and funded my Access Investing account 6/27, funds didn't appear until today 6/28. I called to open a CashPlus and the guy said that need to wait until the funds clear in 3 days before I can open Cash Plus... I've seen others open it same day basically... Is the rep just wrong?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ftuser88
I opened and funded my Access Investing account 6/27, funds didn't appear until today 6/28. I called to open a CashPlus and the guy said that need to wait until the funds clear in 3 days before I can open Cash Plus... I've seen others open it same day basically... Is the rep just wrong?
He might be trying to ensure a smoother opening process because it seems that people who opened the accounts on the same day had trouble linking them later which is a requirement to get the bonus. People who waited a few days, like myself, had no issues with linking the accounts. That being said, I’m eagerly awaiting my bonus to post
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Looks like MS increased their annual engagement bonus to the new, higher fee. Also new SUB is 100k with a 6month 10x on restaurants and small businesses. Not bad!
seawolf and lochquel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.