Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would this signup strategy fly w/ Plat?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Would this signup strategy fly w/ Plat?

About to hit my 1 year mark.

- Refer gf to Plat with 50k promo and 10k back to me

- use my $200 air credit

- When my bonus hits my account from her referral, close my account (still have DL Gold, Surpass, and SPG AMEX open) and not have to pay $450 renew fee (or pro-rated)

so, 50k for her, extra 10k for me, $400 total air credit, $625 total expense. obviously i won't do it if it would threaten my current MR point balance
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrredskin
... close my account (still have DL Gold, Surpass, and SPG AMEX open)
Your Membership Rewards balance would expire in 30 days because you no longer have an account enrolled in the program. Holding an additional card on someone else's account does not change this.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by mia
Your Membership Rewards balance would expire in 30 days because you no longer have an account enrolled in the program. Holding an additional card on someone else's account does not change this.
despite still holding an AMEX?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrredskin
despite still holding an AMEX?
Yes. Holding those cards changes expiration from immediate to 30 Days.

Read here:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...NTCANCELLATION

If for any reason we cancel any Linked Account (including because of your death, bankruptcy or insolvency), any points accrued in your program account will be forfeited. If we reinstate the Linked Account(s) within one year of cancellation, any points accrued in your program account may be converted into a participating Frequent Customer program or redeemed for a reward, provided all other conditions set forth herein have been met.
If you voluntarily cancel enrollment in the program or cancel all Linked Accounts enrolled in the program but keep at least one AMEX Card open and in good standing, you will have up to 30 days from date of cancellation to redeem the points accrued in the program account.
If you cancel a Linked Account and cancel all Cards that are issued by AMEX or its affiliates, all points accrued in the program account will be forfeited immediately.
If any Linked Account is not in good standing, your enrollment in the program may be canceled or the points accrued in your program account forfeited.

Last edited by mia; Jan 26, 2012 at 10:07 am
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:35 am

Instead of canceling the Plat card, just downgrade it to the Green card which still carries the MR benefits.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Or signup for the Mercedes Platinum ($475) and collect another 50k in MR points and another $400 in airline fees ($200 in 2012, $200 in 2013).

That is what I would do...

Then you can cancel the regular Platinum card.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I think you can also open a Blue card that has no annual fee and preserve the points. You will not be able to transfer them to another loyalty program, you can only use them for merchandise or travel, but if you later open a Green/Gold/Plat card, they would again become "real" MR points.

Amex will also sometimes allow you to transfer points to a household member as a one-time courtesy.

I am doing something very similar to what you are doing, as my Plat card renews in a week or two, and one of the main Plat benefits we use is lounge access, but she is the one who uses it. So I won't have a Plat card, she will, and we'll get the referral bonus, signup bonus, and only pay $450 vs. $625 we had to pay this year.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
I think you can also open a Blue card that has no annual fee and preserve the points. You will not be able to transfer them to another loyalty program, you can only use them for merchandise or travel, but if you later open a Green/Gold/Plat card, they would again become "real" MR points.

Amex will also sometimes allow you to transfer points to a household member as a one-time courtesy.

I am doing something very similar to what you are doing, as my Plat card renews in a week or two, and one of the main Plat benefits we use is lounge access, but she is the one who uses it. So I won't have a Plat card, she will, and we'll get the referral bonus, signup bonus, and only pay $450 vs. $625 we had to pay this year.
I have a Platinum Amex and a Business Gold Amex. Does anyone know if I make a referral on the Platinum to my wife, then cancel my own Platinum before the referral points are awarded, whether I'll still get the points in my account? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.