Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by mgchan
I designated last year, and my understanding was that you can change within the first month of the year. I was thinking I could just charge one and, if I don't get reimbursed within a few days, ask to switch for the year.
Please report back if you try the WN gift certs this year.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:16 am

If you call in, the rep will often credit the fee manually. Did this for flight purchases around ~$75 a couple times. Hassle, but I was $80 away from hitting the $200, so it was the only way this past year
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:27 pm

To follow up on my earlier post, I did ultimately get credited for my egift card purchases. I figured if they were denying the charges because of what they were for, then they could just come right out and say so. So after the three weeks were up, I sent another message. I got a very brief, polite response from a rep apologizing for the credit not clearing already and that he would go ahead and credit my account.

Because of the language used in the messages, I got the feeling that they knew I was trying to get away with something, and that they'd let it go this time, but the jig is up. It's possible I'm being paranoid.

I am planning to switch to another airline with more options for using the credit.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:06 pm

GC reimbursement for Southwest

Trying to pick between Southwest and US Air. Would prefer Southwest GC's - but they seem to be hit/miss as compared to USAir. Would love hear other opinions b4 I pick an airline and commit. TIA.

Last edited by oviedo1352; Jan 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Purchased $50 GC on 1/4, still nothing posted yet. From other threads, credits generally post within 5 days or so.

Maybe I could call and talk my way into a credit but I'm not going to bother. I'll give it a couple days and if nothing posts, I'll just switch to another airline.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 6:17 pm

Jan 8 purchase for me and I'll report back. Nothing yet. $25 charge only
Old Jan 10, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AmEx Platinum MR, Delta, Southwest, UA, AA
Just enrolled in Southwest and my plan is to purchase four $50 gift cards, one each month, for the next four months. Hope this .... works.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
I purchased a $50 GC in November and was not reimbursed.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 9:31 am

Would someone please help to compile a list of all officially ELIGIBLE Southwest fees? I am very hopeful that purchasing gift cards will be reimbursed, but if it isn't, I still want to take advantage of this by paying for things and having them be reimbursed. If I remember, they don't take credit cards for drinks/etc during flights at all, right? So what is actually eligible given that fees are few and far between on Southwest?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
I designated last year, and my understanding was that you can change within the first month of the year. I was thinking I could just charge one and, if I don't get reimbursed within a few days, ask to switch for the year.
It is explicit in the TOS you can change airlines in January of the new year.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by thebat
Yes, and ONCE a year.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by thebat
I know, I meant that I could have a free test to see if my gift card purchase would be reimbursed since I was defaulted to WN from the year before. I bought a GC while still linked to WN but since Amex no longer reimburses gift cards, I haven't used my benefit. Based on that I went ahead and switched to UA and got a GC from them.

@flytoski, WN only takes credit cards and vouchers for drinks. I would think that drinks and Wifi, which I think is charged by Southwest, would qualify. Personally, with no baggage or change fees I would find it hard to spend $200 on incidentals.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:00 pm

I know, I meant that I could have a free test to see if my gift card purchase would be reimbursed since I was defaulted to WN from the year before. I bought a GC while still linked to WN but since Amex no longer reimburses gift cards, I haven't used my benefit. Based on that I went ahead and switched to UA and got a GC from them.

@flytoski, WN only takes credit cards and vouchers for drinks. I would think that drinks and Wifi, which I think is charged by Southwest, would qualify. Personally, with no baggage or change fees I would find it hard to spend $200 on incidentals.
Okay, thanks. I thought it was cash only. http://www.southwest.com/assets/pdfs...light_menu.pdf. I wonder how the coding shows up to Amex. So if you just send them a message that the payment was for drinks, will they credit the account? Sneaky, I know.

Last edited by flytoski; Jan 13, 2013 at 12:56 pm
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:33 pm

I charged $50 for a Southwest Gift Card which posted on 1/12 and a credit showed up on 1/14. I just realized you can only use 3 gift cards per ticket, so I am just tried a $75 purchase and hope that gets reimbursed as well.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by johnb102
I charged $50 for a Southwest Gift Card which posted on 1/12 and a credit showed up on 1/14. I just realized you can only use 3 gift cards per ticket, so I am just tried a $75 purchase and hope that gets reimbursed as well.
Interesting. My $50 WN gift card didn't get reimbursed for a week, so I switched my carrier to UA and got a $200 card which was reimbursed in 2 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.