Wiki Posts
Search

Who notices what the Centurion card is?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Who notices what the Centurion card is?

I'm curious about this one. For me, Centurion was a decision I made after trying to weigh out if it would be beneficial to me. In the beginning it was borderline but the travel insurance part ended up being a lot more useful than I thought. FHR has been less useful as the rates have trouble keeping up with good bonuses on simple things like Expedia. But overall I think it has been a net win factoring in all the bonuses.

There is of course this implication that the black card is a status symbol. I don't care about that, but I'm curious how many people actually notice it and it doesn't actually strike me as a status symbol if people don't know what it is.

I don't use my titanium card, just the black plastic so unless someone knows, there is nothing super particular to set it off other than people not seeing a black amex very often.

In about 8 months of fairly common use (I use it at the pharmacy, food store, travel, everything) I've encountered one situation where someone knew what it was. That was at a US Airways lounge when the women running admittance were happy and asked if they could see the metal one. Otherwise the most common question I get about it is, "Is this a debit card?"

Percentage wise, the brand recognition in my particular sweep through the world has been well under 1%. This is probably partially based on where I come from (Canada), and I'm curious what other people's experience has been.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: Amex Cent, Aeroplan
I am also a Canadian Centurion cardholder. I've had it since last April. I do often use the titanium card, and the most common comment is "this card is really heavy"! Very few people have recognized it as anything else.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Isn't the whole point of paying thousands of dollars to have a Centurion Card so that people notice it and you feel special?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Isn't the whole point of paying thousands of dollars to have a Centurion Card so that people notice it and you feel special?
Yes and no.
The places that are set up to give centurion card holders some thing extra and most of the time same goes with platinum holders.
And some places take extra steps and give the centurion card holder more perks then what amex worked out with them.
I have seen friend go to MGM and reserve a reg room and checked in with the card and they did more then just a reg room up grade. we got the sky loft.
witch is 3k-10k a night depending on witch room size.

Geting in to clubs with out standing in line.

Some reg places like reg class eating out like tgif smokey bones EX..
The people working there told me most that use the card tip real poorly.
And expect more then any one. some times way to much.

I don't have the centurion card yet. If i get the invite and think I will.
I will be getting the card just off what I see friends use theres.

Some times I get people looking at me with my platinum card. And get the cashier saying oooo you have a platinum card.
One time I open my wallet and some one seen my black CITI card and blurted out is that a black card as in the amex one.
I find it not good to use any card thats black some places so you don't get people talking your ear off or flowing you.
But I will see when I have the card it self.
See if I get some gold digger come after me lol.

Delta lounge they have a chart of cards.
I asked do you get a lot of centurion cards 2 of them told me yes some times more then platinum some days.
That struck me kind of odd. never herd any one say they see lots of them.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond
On a cross-country drive all "normal" hotels were booked in North Dakota due to a bird watching convention in the area, so my wife and I were stuck with only this fleabag motel as a choice.

The desk clerk was some fat old guy in a wife beater and behind him were the old fashioned cubby-hole slots for the keys and messages. I handed him my Amex Platinum and he said "Oh, I've never seen one of those before. Wonder if it will work." I remarked "A Platinum Card?" and his response "No, an American Express." So I recommend using your Centurion card there. Ranch Motel in Jamestown, ND. I hear it's lovely this time of year.

I really enjoyed the free amenities in the room, like the included towel to clean my gun -- or any other use I needed.

Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by weave
... included towel to clean my gun ...
Now that is outstanding!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:42 pm

I had a quy in front of me in line someplace with one. The cashier asked him if it was a 'secured card'. I hadn't even heard that term in years. He was a sport about it and said 'yeah - 2 bankruptcies, it was all I could get'. Priceless.

Last edited by mia; Jan 8, 2012 at 4:49 am Reason: Remove multi-paragraph quotation.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by tyberius
Otherwise the most common question I get about it is, "Is this a debit card?"

n00bs!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Not really. Some Centurion cardholders use a standard green that's linked to the Centurion account. The black stays at home in the wallet. Showing off is apparently not high on their agenda.

Last edited by forumpersona999; Jan 8, 2012 at 8:37 am Reason: Yeah.... what he said (AmexCent)
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AA UA DL AS CXDM JL NH Hilton Hyatt Marriott SPG IHG
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Not really. Some Centurion cardholders use a standard green that's linked to the Centurion account. The black stays at home. Showing off is apparently not high on their agenda.
But some benefits would require you to "show" the black card". So still needs to be in the wallet, in case.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by AmexCent
But some benefits would require you to "show" the black card". So still needs to be in the wallet, in case.

Good point. Edited. @:-)
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
Not really. Some Centurion cardholders use a standard green that's linked to the Centurion account. The black stays at home in the wallet. Showing off is apparently not high on their agenda.
That's what I do too. I have one of those green cards because the €35/year green card gives more membership rewards points than the €2000/year centurion. Also in NL, AMEX only sends out black titanium cards and no plastic ones. I have three titanium cards and all have a chip.

So using this card while traveling I noticed the cards is not wildly recognized in any cheap store or the cheaper chain restaurants. However checking in at the Four Seasons with the Centurion helps a lot in getting the presidential suite without paying too much extra. So I noticed people in the more expensive hotels and restaurants do recognize the black card and actually act on it.

In the Netherlands no one knows this card, I think AMEX only send out 1100 of these cards. AMEX is not really accepted in most stores, usually they only take the debet cards, Mastercard and Visa. The only response I ever got was "I dont think it fits" (that's what she said ) when pushing the titanium card into the chip reader, and that was at a gas station. I have not encountered any restaurant where anyone had a clue what this card is. I have even been to hotels recommended by AMEX concierge and SHR where they did not accept any AMEX card anymore.

So no you don't get extra fries and ketchup at McDonalds, but you'll get that great upgrade at the expensive hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
We in the USA don't have that option, as there are no green cards issued in here anymore.

So your most "low key" option (rather than showing your Centurion) is a Gold.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by S.Bling
We in the USA don't have that option, as there are no green cards issued in here anymore.

Have you checked again with your Cent account manager (or equivalent). They officially dont do Green in the UK, but I got one anyway as a supplementary card. I specifically stated I don't want a Gold/Plat suplementary card.

Funnily enough if I use the Green card everyone assumes its a corporate card. I use it mostly for leaving behind bars as a tab card.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by S.Bling

Tell them you are frequently traveling to Colombia and don't wish to get kidnapped. They will cut you a green (linked to your Cent account, same prefix as your Cent, same points/benefits as if you were using your Cent).

Last edited by forumpersona999; Jan 10, 2012 at 12:45 am Reason: Two typos snuck their way in to the original post. tsk tsk tsk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.