Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
Current offer (as of 7/1/16):
"A special offer for Ameriprise Clients: $0 introductory fee for the first year, then $550. Additional Cards can also be added for an introductory fee of $0 for the first year, then $175 for up to 3 Additional Platinum Cards. Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, up to 30,000 additional points per year."

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...rsion/personal

(In 2015 the offer included 25k MR points for $3,000 spend, with $450 annual fee waived.)
__________________________________________________ _________________

Is this card a different product than the normal personal Amex Platinum?
Yes, by all indications this card is treated differently. Multiple members have received the bonus after previously having a personal Platinum card. Members have also been able to use the travel credit on this card even after obtaining the travel credit on a personal Platinum in the same year. (Post 363)

Do authorized users have a fee?
The fee for additional users is waived for the first year. You can add authorized users at $0 when signing up or you can add them later by calling the number on the back of your card.

My decision is "in progress", what should I do?
Many users report that they received an "in progress" decision initially only to be approved within the next 48hrs with no additional communication (recon call). Click here to check status.

Does one need to be an Ameriprise customer to be approved for this card?
No, one does not have to be an Ameriprise customer in order to get approved for the card, although AMEX could technically enforce the "rule" in their terms and conditions and either cancel your card or convert it to a "regular" Platinum.
Print Wikipost

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:06 pm
Suspended

As far as I know, AUs get all of the perks except the airline reimbursement, which is $200 per year per overall account, total.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:33 am

Nice. Just applied and got an instant approval. Good info in this thread. I applied to take advantage of the 1st year waived annual fee and waived Authorize users fee, so my brother could take advantage of the $100 Global entry fee credit also. Another reason why I applied is, I wanted to check out the Centurion Lounge at SFO. I have another Amex, but I don't feel like paying $50 bucks to get in, when I could for free with this. I'll probably make purchases for a year and cancel this card since I'll be applying for a Citi Prestige in a few days. I'd keep this card, but the $200 airline credit to a specific airline we choose is the killer for me. At least, with City, it's a $250 credit for whatever airline I purchases tickets from. Thanks for all the good info here. ^^ Oh and forgot to mention, I'm not an Amerirpise customer either.

Last edited by s0ju; Feb 22, 2016 at 9:42 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by ehuang03
I'd keep this card, but the $200 airline credit to specific one we choose is the killer for me. At least, with City, it's a $250 credit for whatever airline I purchases tickets from.
Do keep in mind that it's not $200 for anything airline related, but rather $200 for incidentals like baggage fees and onboard charges. There are ways to get airline gift cards and get it to count though. Search for threads relating to your specific airline on FT.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Javelin
Do keep in mind that it's not $200 for anything airline related, but rather $200 for incidentals like baggage fees and onboard charges. There are ways to get airline gift cards and get it to count though. Search for threads relating to your specific airline on FT.
Yep, thanks. I understand that it only covers the incidental charges. I usually pack light, so I hardly have any baggage. I'll probably take your advice and check out the gift card options. Citi has a $250 airline credit that would apply to tickets and everything else related to it. Overall, that's better for me since that knocks the AF down to $200. Thanks again for the advice on the Amex airline credit. I'm going to search and take advantage of it also. I believe it should come up to $400? $200 this calendar year and another $200 in January before I cancel?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ehuang03
Yep, thanks. I understand that it only covers the incidental charges. I usually pack light, so I hardly have any baggage. I'll probably take your advice and check out the gift card options. Citi has a $250 airline credit that would apply to tickets and everything else related to it. Overall, that's better for me since that knocks the AF down to $200. Thanks again for the advice on the Amex airline credit. I'm going to search and take advantage of it also. I believe it should come up to $400? $200 this calendar year and another $200 in January before I cancel?
Yep it's per calendar year so you can get two reimbursements in your first calendar year. Agreed that the Citi Prestige credit is a lot more convenient but it's honestly not that bad to get the Amex credit.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 5:34 pm

I'm planning to keep the Ameriprise AMEX Platinum after the first year since the annual fee comes down to $250 after the airline credit which I use for gift certificates. I think AMEX Platinum goes well with Citi Prestige (I also have this) to provide access to a more diverse selection of lounges.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 6:47 am

If you are going to pay the annual fee, you are better off canceling this card, and getting a normal Amex plat. Then you will get the signup bonus, as well as an extra $200 airline reimbursement this year.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by daw4888
If you are going to pay the annual fee, you are better off canceling this card, and getting a normal Amex plat. Then you will get the signup bonus, as well as an extra $200 airline reimbursement this year.
In my case, I opened the Ameriprise Plat Amex in March 2013, and was backdated when reported to the bureaus, as Amex used to do at that time. Since for me this means 1986, I will not be closing the Ameriprise and getting the regular Platinum, and will rather keep the 30 year old account on the CRAs.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:37 pm

I used to have the normal AMEX Platinum a couple of years ago, so I don't think I'll qualify for the signup bonus. I could go for the Mercedes Benz AMEX Platinum and get the bonus, if available, but it has a slightly higher annual fee ($475 I think).
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:15 pm

Not to mention that since most of us on here probably aren't Ameriprise customers, it's probably not to hold onto that card indefinitely when there's a non-cobranded one available.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: Continental, Marriott, Hilton,
Since it seemed to have been a while since someone had affirmed, I applied this week and got an instant approval, and am presently holding an Amex Plat and have no active Ameriprise [financial] account, save the Ameriprise World MC (Barclays).
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:24 pm

I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere. My eyes are killing me going back and forth on the forum, so sorry I will ask a question that as probably answered in a different thread. Before the annual fee hits, I'm going to cancel. This will be like a test run for me. Once I cancel this, would I have to wait 6 months or do I have to wait at all if I want to apply for the personal non branded Platinum?

Something interesting to note. Last night I signed onto my Amex account and chatted with a rep about Priority Pass. My question was, do I get auto enrolled(like City Prestige) or would I have to manually enroll myself. Her first response was, please contact Ameriprise Platinum Card Services. I didn't know they had their own number. Then afterwards, she just gave me a link to enroll in PP. It just made me wonder why she would tell me to call Ameriprise for in the first place if there's a link for me to enroll.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

So I applied Sunday and was instantly approved.

Then silence.

No email confirmation nor cards over-nighted. ( at least yet)

Nada.

How long before I can confirm that my Plat AmEx is real?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
So I applied Sunday and was instantly approved.

Then silence.

No email confirmation nor cards over-nighted. ( at least yet)

Nada.

How long before I can confirm that my Plat AmEx is real?
Quite literally in the same situation. Applied and approved this past Sunday and didn't receive any email. But I chatted with a rep over Live Chat and apparently it was sent out USPS instead of UPS like my PRG was so it will take longer to get here. (Shouldn't it be the other way around?)

You can also check the link at the end of the thread's Wiki to check the application status in the system for peace of mind that it is indeed there.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:05 pm

You folks are fine. I was wondering the same thing also. I didn't get an email confirmation. The card came in about 4/5 days later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.