Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Japan Centurion card - no rental coverage outside US/Canada!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Centurion card - no rental coverage outside US/Canada!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Thumbs down Japan Centurion card - no rental coverage outside US/Canada!

Not sure how many people this is relevant to, but it's just absolutely astonishing to me... the Japan Centurion card rental car cover is not global like every other Plat/Cent card I've heard of -- it only covers the US and Canada.

I discover this of course just after pranging my rental car in the UK... ARGH.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
I got one better:

The HK Centurion card doesn't have this coverage to start with. Not in HK, Not in the USA, not anywhere
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:43 am

There's an inappropriate Asian Driver joke in here somewhere, but I won't be the one to make it...
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Would it in some way be associated with the chuckle factor of an Asian person being called Nick? (please engage appropriate filters before commenting)
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Japan might be more populated in terms of people/sq mile, but I found it much easier to drive in NRT than I did in PVG, PEK, or SZX.
Even HKG was more difficult to drive (traffic is on the left!) than in NRT.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
The real reason why Amex Plat and especially Centurion suck in some markets is that there is less competition.

In the US there is maximum competition and the consumer is king. That's why they get the most bang for their buck in terms of benefits you get in return for your membership fees. That's why their Plat and Cent no longer pay a 2% - 3% surcharge for foreign currency transactions.

French, Aussie, Hong Kong Centurion can't get close to what a US Centurion delivers. Now if only they would allow Global Transfers of Centurion accounts.... @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.