Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Flyer PLAT worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

New Flyer PLAT worth it?

So I recently started a consultant job. And I'm doing sign-ups for corp. cards etc. I've never had the option of keeping rewards/miles at previous jobs I've had so this is a bit of a new experience. I have to pay the card fee for upgraded cards and I'm trying to decide if the benefits are worth the cost.

My options:
Gold w/MR (free)
Executive ($150)
Platinum ($450)

My expected travel:
Mon-Thur, 25-35 weeks/yr (95% domestic flights)
~$900/week of expenses on card per trip.

I know I can recoupe $200 in airline fees with Platinum, and the club access. But I'm not sure all these other options are anything I'd really use. Maybe the car rental stuff, but I don't know if that's really worth it. Any thoughts/opinons on my situation?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:01 pm

I think it will be worth it for you, especially with 30+ weeks of traveling. If you already have Hertz Club Gold, airline status and hotel status then maybe you do not need them. It will worth you awhile if you are someone new to traveling 30+ weeks of traveling which will save you the time on accumulating those car, airline, and hotel status.

I don't know about the type of hotels you stay at for your job. Some of the luxury hotels will offer you late check out, free upgrade, and free breakfast from its FHR program.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
I'd say for the lounge access alone it will be worth it to you. Do a Platinum challenge on AA if you are flying them and you'll be flying nicely. The lounge is worth it all to me as I spend so much time in the airport as you also will and on those snow days when you are trying to get home those AAngels will be heaven sent for helping you home again.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:34 am

I'd say the Plat is worth it (though I confess I'm not that familiar with the benefits of the Executive). The $200 credit will knock down your annual fee, either because you can pay for things you'd pay for anyway (award ticket fees or something) or because you can buy and then resell gift cards. The lounge access will be a huge plus when you're traveling that much. And you can probably get a decent sign up bonus, rack up Membership Rewards points, and transfer to programs for award redemptions.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
The Plat is definitely worth it. I have made good use of it for the last few years.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by 50ae
I'd say for the lounge access alone it will be worth it to you. Do a Platinum challenge on AA if you are flying them and you'll be flying nicely. The lounge is worth it all to me as I spend so much time in the airport as you also will and on those snow days when you are trying to get home those AAngels will be heaven sent for helping you home again.
Exactly--when you travel weekly, the lounge is your friend. Got me home/protected on flights a number of times. You can also save a few bucks on coffee/oranges--and alcohol depending on the lounge. Not significant, but when you're trying to justify the $450 just look at what they charge for a piece of fruit at the airport
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Platinum is so worth it for the lounge access. Depending on where you are flying, remember that you can always use the USAir clubs (even if not flying them). I fly AA mostly out of TPA. US and AA are in the same terminal so I get to use the Club before the AA flight here AND I get into the AA clubs - $450 has got to be less than 2 separate memberships. And when I fly Delta, I get to use their TPA club too (so maybe 3 memberships??)
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
And the Priority Select lounges as well. Alaska is the only one I've used up at SEA but it was quite comfortable and had a great selection of craft beer.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent
+1 to lounge access as the key benefit. Also easier to keep mid level status with more than one hotel via the fast tracks. Have used AMEX for trip delay/cancel and had no problem collecting on the insurance. I have moved to a non-affiliated with an airline, hotel Plat for max flexibility on where to move points. My advice- try it and if you don't like the Plat, you can make your way down the value chain to the other cards.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I don't know if you'll get a signup bonus, sounds like you won't, but the singup bonus of MR points is going to be more generous. Points given on Plat are also not as generous as gold rewards - check on the exact details of the gold card, but Plat generally gives only 1 point per dollar, while some gold cards give more.

But... yes, you get the $200 airline fee benefit, and with a nod to others who have questioned the ethics, you can charge something that's a business expense, submit it for reimbursement, but Amex will give you a credit on your statement. (If you are paying the $450 fee yourself, I think it's ethical to keep the money.) Lounge access is great, and keep in mind you also get Priority Plus which will get you into a lot of independent lounges. I don't know if any other airports do this, but at YYZ (Mrs. Redtop's home airport) the Plat card gets her into the express security line.

Another possible goody - is that you get the fee rebated for the Global Entry program. You don't travel overseas? Some airports are now starting a pilot program to allow some travelers to undergo reduced security, which programs are generally limited to plat-level frequent fliers and GOES card-holders.

Some other things I personally use... no foreign transaction fee, and they have a really good deal on rental car coverage, it amounts to damage waiver for $20 per rental - not per day, but per rental, up to something like 42 days. Nobody buys that for the $15-20 a day rental car companies charge, but if you're renting for a week or two it can be worth it not to argue with the company over a scratch or a dinged bumper.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:08 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

One big issue is the lounge access. Will it give you benefits at an airport where you live, or that you travel to or through?

Other than that, there are additional benefits to the Plat card which may be of some value to you. Their "concierge" service can be pretty helpful. Also there are some special benefits you get at high-end resort properties, which can easily make the card's fee worth it, if you are likely to use this benefit.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43

I don't know if any other airports do this, but at YYZ (Mrs. Redtop's home airport) the Plat card gets her into the express security line.
May I ask what airport you are reffering to? Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by philipthechen
May I ask what airport...
YYZ = Toronto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.