Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA Platinum cardholders reported $100, $200 and $500 versions of a peremptory retention offer:
You will receive up to $X00 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014....These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit2 benefit already included in your Membership
Most US lounges, and some AA lounges, had also accepted Priority Pass. Priority Pass access ended on 3.22.2014. See post 649.

As a result of the recently announced merger between American Airlines and US Airways, we have been informed by both lounge partners that they’ve unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective March 22, 2014.
Print Wikipost

AA/US lounge access going away March 22, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:13 am

So, this is definite right? The e-mail I got appears so.

I'm about to Cancel my Platinum which just renewed, and was going to upgrade my gold to Plat...but not now.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
This is just really too bad. I have little interest in the Citi card, and this effectively ends two thirds of the domestic lounge program.

I think we all saw it coming with the new advertisements.

I believe we will likely see significant statement credits for those who ask, to defer the cost of an AC membership.

The truth is, the Centurion lounges are pretty great, and I'd much rather be in one than an Admirals Club. The two issues are that by March 22, 2014, there will still only be a small fraction of them compared to Admirals Clubs, and of course the lack of AAngels.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Too bad, will definitely be canceling our Platinum cards next March once this crucial benefit is gone.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Just got the e-mail from AMEX.

They are offering a generous statement credit for US or AA, to cover a club membership.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by nachosdelux

They are offering a generous statement credit for US or AA, to cover a club membership.
Awesome. Since I have always paid for my AC membership in addition to having a Platinum card, this works out to be less expensive for me overall ^
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
This is just really too bad. I have little interest in the Citi card, and this effectively ends two thirds of the domestic lounge program.

I think we all saw it coming with the new advertisements.

I believe we will likely see significant statement credits for those who ask, to defer the cost of an AC membership.

The truth is, the Centurion lounges are pretty great, and I'd much rather be in one than an Admirals Club. The two issues are that by March 22, 2014, there will still only be a small fraction of them compared to Admirals Clubs, and of course the lack of AAngels.
Can we discuss alternatives?

Without AA access we still have Delta and Priority Pass.

Can Delta Lounges be used without a ticket for travel? Even so, the terminals are probably different.

Is Priority Pass worth the fee?

My Plat card AF came in November, so I was paying the $450 through January to get the $200 credit in 2014 and then cancel to get prorated fee back.

My Business Gold is up this month and I was about to upgrade to Plat.
I may still do this, as it will get me:
$200 Statement credit this year
$200 Statement credit next year
Bonus $200 AA statement credit that is being advertised after March
30K bonus miles

So that is effectively $900. I still need to meet the 10K spend in 5 months, and then I can cancel if they haven't added new perks by April.

My wife's is up in January, so we might keep it through April to get the $200 in bonus AA credits.

This is just sad...huge blow to Platinum. Very little reason to keep this card/get a new one now. I'm not about to spend $400+ just for a branded AA for access unless they have huge sign up bonuses.

On the up-side, I would expect AA might offer their card for no AF first year coming soon...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:30 am

It won't cover a club membership - it will cover $200 of a $400+ club membership.

They will have to offer this $200 credit and drop their AF by $250 to get me to stick around.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Yeah I just got the email too - $500 credit for US/AA incidentals which would cover the amount for lounge membership. That seems to be an equal trade off since I utilize the AA lounge extensively.

At least for now. Who knows if they will be continuing this $500 credit every year.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:31 am

Yeah, just got the email, as well. $200 is nice, but it doesn't even come close to covering the yearly Admiral's Club passes.

Here's a question for you all: My renewal date is Jan 31. Can I make it to March 24 without paying the Annual fee (or get it fully refunded)? I'm hoping the $200 AA/US Air credit functions similarly to the normal airline credit (i.e. we can buy gift cards with it).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by shogunate03
Yeah I just got the email too - $500 credit for US/AA incidentals which would cover the amount for lounge membership. That seems to be an equal trade off since I utilize the AA lounge extensively.

At least for now. Who knows if they will be continuing this $500 credit every year.
Where are you guys seeing $500?

My e-mail says $200.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BenH
On the up-side, I would expect AA might offer their card for no AF first year coming soon...
Would not surprise me. Chase did something similar in early 2012 with the United Club Card. I don't fly United much, but I certainly got one.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
I only see $200 as well. I wonder if this is a tiered offer.

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Where are you guys seeing $500?

My e-mail says $200.
I wonder if it is targeted. Mine said $500 credit in addition to the standard $200 airline incidentals.

Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
Would not surprise me. Chase did something similar in early 2012 with the United Club Card. I don't fly United much, but I certainly got one.
Yeah, I got the offer twice. Didn't do it because I rarely fly United and it wasn't worth the credit hit to me. I will pull the trigger for AA though once Plat benefit is gone.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Without AA access we still have Delta and Priority Pass.
Plus the Airspace lounges and American Express's own Centurion Lounges. Today there are only two Centurion Lounges in the USA, but we don't know how many could be up and running by April.

Can Delta Lounges be used without a ticket for travel?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.