Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
USA Platinum cardholders reported $100, $200 and $500 versions of a peremptory retention offer:
You will receive up to $X00 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014....These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit2 benefit already included in your Membership
Most US lounges, and some AA lounges, had also accepted Priority Pass. Priority Pass access ended on 3.22.2014. See post 649.

As a result of the recently announced merger between American Airlines and US Airways, we have been informed by both lounge partners that they’ve unfortunately chosen to no longer participate in the Priority Pass lounge access program effective March 22, 2014.
Print Wikipost

AA/US lounge access going away March 22, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:05 pm

I received access to DFW Admirals club with Business Platinum on Friday.. just a fyi.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:41 am
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I activated my Card yesterday and when the agent was going over the benefits he mentioned US Airways and Delta clubs. He specifically did not mention American. When asked, he said they were not sure what was going to happen with AA and couldn't list it as a benefit.
I don't fly American that much, so it wouldn't be a huge loss. I think this may be why they are opening the Centurion Lounges. It looks like Vegas was the test and now they are rolling them out in UA and AA hubs. First DFW and the next in SFO. If this is the case I bet the next one will be at ORD, as it's a hub for both. I am rooting for it as it is an airport I use frequently, but I do think it makes the most sense for AMEX.
But what do I know?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
I find it interesting. After all these years, AMEX should have a list of "most accessed" Admiral Clubs by their members (since their cards are swiped upon entry). This list could then identify where they need to open new Centurion lounges (if space were available) to minimize the potential impact of the AC benefit going away...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
I find it interesting. After all these years, AMEX should have a list of "most accessed" Admiral Clubs by their members (since their cards are swiped upon entry). This list could then identify where they need to open new Centurion lounges (if space were available) to minimize the potential impact of the AC benefit going away...
eh, I fly AA nearly 100%, 1-2 round trips a month, use the AA lounges in LAX, DFW, ORD, MIA, ATL, DCA

So they have a lot of ground to cover if I can get a comparable level of service benefits ... I might need to get the $450 AA credit card and downgrade AMEX back to Gold

Especially if they also dump the 20% rebate on AMEX points for travel

The third benefit I use is the AMEX PLat code on Hertz rentals, though tht's been hit and miss on providing the best deal
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Access to Admirals Clubs is by far the most valuable benefit of the Platinum card for me. If not the only one -- I could apply for other AmEx cards to maintain my Membership Rewards balance. AmEx will have to waive the entire annual fee to make me renew the Platinum card. Now, of course I get $200 back after purchasing AA gift cards, but I'm not going to mention this when I call to cancel the card.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
It worked today at SFO. Perhaps it's worth contacting AMEX prospectively and letting them know how much we value the AC access? I would imagine it's easier to convince them not to do something rather than to make them change it back after the fact.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I know it doesn't matter to Am Ex, but if AA benefit went away, so would my card. The Platinum lounge in DFW is nice, just not enough locations for me. JMO
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by elkhornne
I know it doesn't matter to Am Ex, but if AA benefit went away, so would my card. The Platinum lounge in DFW is nice, just not enough locations for me. JMO
in addition to the lack of amex lounge locations, there aren't any AAngels to help during IRROPs or with seating/upgrade request.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by tdb27
It worked today at SFO. Perhaps it's worth contacting AMEX prospectively and letting them know how much we value the AC access? I would imagine it's easier to convince them not to do something rather than to make them change it back after the fact.
Just called and was told it is "under review". I expressed my concern and that I felt this was an important benefit to having the card. The representative just stated that I could continue to use the lounges for now as long as I had a boarding pass.
This is the major benefit to me and justifies having the card.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:18 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CherylD
Just called and was told it is "under review". I expressed my concern and that I felt this was an important benefit to having the card. The representative just stated that I could continue to use the lounges for now as long as I had a boarding pass.
This is the major benefit to me and justifies having the card.
If you fly intl. on AA, and have status, you still get to use one world lounges. (If you are EXP, you even get to use the Flagship lounges: LAX, JFK, ORD, MIA). On transcons, if you are flying bc(even if upgraded), you get to use the AA AC's--if you are flying fc, you get to use the flagship lounges.)
From info in another thread in this forum, AMEX is starting to add (upscale) CENTURION lounges: LAS, DFW (and others may be in the works).
In any event you get access to the PP Select lounges if you have an AMEX PLAT card (except for UA/Continental lounges).
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
On transcons....if you are flying fc, you get to use the flagship lounges.
Only on a 3 cabin transcon.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Only on a 3 cabin transcon.
Since this is sometimes confusing, here's the link. Note that "transcon" only applies to SFO-JFK, LAX-JFK, and LAX-MIA. More info below:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Last edited by SFOPhD; Nov 4, 2013 at 8:29 pm Reason: misread response
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta GM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
FWIW, I accessed the Admirals Club in BOS and MIA yesterday with no problem.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:55 pm

When I called amex tonight to get my gold hilton benefit, I asked about AA, rep stated that amex is still working on renewing the agreement.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Much ado about nothing, IMO. I'm sure AA and AmEx will renew the deal, but for obvious reasons they are limiting promotion right now.

It's likely a very valuable benefit not only to AmEx, but AA as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.