Wiki Posts
Search

Blue Cash Everyday & Blue Cash Preferred cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Blue Cash Everyday & Blue Cash Preferred cards

I know this isn't really MR related, but figured it best go here.

Courtesy of SD.

New "Blue Cash Everyday" with 3% supermarket, 2% gas and department store, 1% all else; NO $6500 threshold!
http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...eCash-Everyday

"Blue Cash Preferred" with 6%, 3%, 1% respectively; NO $6500 threshold! $75 Annual Fee.
http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...Cash-Preferred

Clear cache and cookies to see these listed in the View All Cards section.

These are definitely VERY competitive cashback cards now!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:41 am

How interesting.. 6% for supermarket sounds good but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to take much advantage considering the annual fee. However, families are a different story!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by QSYH
...wouldn't be able to take much advantage considering the annual fee.
Note that you can earn back the entire annual fee by referring one person to open a new account:

You can earn 75 Reward Dollars for each new Blue Cash PreferredSM Card account you refer. Referred individual(s) must be approved for a new Blue Cash Preferred Card account. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the Reward Dollars to post to your account after each referred individual is approved for a new Card account. Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, you will not be notified of whether we approve or decline any application(s) from individual(s) you refer. You understand and agree that the referred individual(s) must apply online through an emailed link (provided by American Express) and be approved in order for you to receive the bonus. We cannot provide you with any non-public information about the referred individuals. The individuals you referred may not receive the e-mail if they have previously "opted out" of receiving email marketing communications from American Express. If you violate or abuse this program, you may not receive some or all of the Reward Dollars.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
conga?
Old May 9, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by booyaa
I know this isn't really MR related, but figured it best go here.
[/URL]

Clear cache and cookies to see these listed in the View All Cards section.

Got the card! Thanks for posting booyaa! ^

Last edited by mia; May 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old May 13, 2011, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa
I have had a Blue Cash card since 2005, and the vast majority (99%) of my personal spending goes on it. No annual fee, $6500 spending to hit higher reward thresholds. Last year AMEX paid me $1100 to use the card.

My card expires in December, and I'm curious if AMEX is phasing those out and will steer cardholders to one of these options? If I am unable to keep the current program, I will shift my regular spending to my Citi Cash Rewards M/C.

Last edited by mia; May 13, 2011 at 2:43 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old May 13, 2011, 2:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jeisensc
...If I am unable to keep the current program, I will shift my regular spending to my Citi Cash Rewards M/C.
Welcome to Flyertalk. The only disadvantage to the new card would seem to be the rebate reduction on general spending from 1.5% to 1.0%. If that is your concern, you probably should not be using Blue Cash now. The Fidelity Amex-network card (issued by Bank of America, not by American Express) pays 2% across the board and would be better for the spending which is not targeted by Blue Cash.

http://personal.fidelity.com/product...rds_card.shtml

This card is discussed in the Other Credit Cards section of Flyertalk.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by jeisensc
I have had a Blue Cash card since 2005, and the vast majority (99%) of my personal spending goes on it. No annual fee, $6500 spending to hit higher reward thresholds. Last year AMEX paid me $1100 to use the card.

My card expires in December, and I'm curious if AMEX is phasing those out and will steer cardholders to one of these options? If I am unable to keep the current program, I will shift my regular spending to my Citi Cash Rewards M/C.
I'm still using the American Express Platinum Cash Rebate card which I dont believe they offer anymore, but they keep extending it year after year after year, so I wouldnt be surprised if they do that with the standard Blue Cash card.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
Blue cash preferred may be an option for gc purchases

Kroger and ralphs are running a 4x rewards for fathers day or the next two/three weeks

Total of 10% back!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Someone on another forum calculated that if you spend more than $208. per month at grocery stores, paying the annual fee is worthwhile for Amex Blue Cash Preferred card. However, if you don't, the one without the fee is more worthwhile, or staying on the old Blue Cash card.

The dilemma I'm having is that I typically spend right about $200. a month on groceries but do also buy fairly often from department stores.

I had intended to keep the old Blue Cash card (grandfathered in) for the 1.25% cash back on 'everything else' but you only get that after spending $6,500. per year. But that one gives 5% on groceries, gas, and drugstores with no annual fee. It works out to a bit less though since you need to take into account the lower cash back until you reach $6,500. in spending.

The drugstore and gas categories are useless to me since I use the PenFed Visa for my 5% cash back on my gas purchases and only rarely shop at drugstores.

So, I can't decide now!

Amex will let me keep the old card while opening one of the new Blue Cash cards but I can't decide.

Anyone have any input?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:11 pm

Over at Fatwallet someone created a spreadsheet for folks to calculate the pros and cons of the different cards. It's in this thread:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1092772/

When you say you spend $200 a month on groceries, are you including gift cards or do your local groceries not allow you to purchase gift cards with this card.

I spend a lot on groceries, so for me there was no decision to make. I went with the preferred and will be getting $50-$75 back each month.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
I can buy gift cards at my local grocery store but I dont really like to do that often because it sorta kills your return protection. Ie, you could only get store credit should you need to make a return.

In thinking about it, I may keep the old blue cash because I do eat out a lot so it would be nice to get 1.25% on dining, and it does give 5% on grocery purchEs with zero annual fee.

The only thing is that pesky $6,500 tier that you have to reach.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:04 pm

6% cash back at grocery stores, $150 bonus cash back, more.......

delete

Last edited by onthego15; May 31, 2012 at 8:16 pm
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Originally Posted by austin_modern
I'm still using the American Express Platinum Cash Rebate card which I dont believe they offer anymore, but they keep extending it year after year after year, so I wouldnt be surprised if they do that with the standard Blue Cash card.
Annual rebate equal to the following percentages of your annual level of purchases:0.25% for the first $2,000; 0.5% for amounts from $2,001 up to $5,000; and 1.5% for purchases in excess of $5,000.

The American Express Platinum Cash Rebate card disappeared for the most part when Costco True Earnings was launched but there are still a few active users such as yourself who were reluctant to switch. I don't see the benefits but each is to his/her own.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:56 am

I love my Costco AmEx it's a great card!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.