Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling AMEX Card - MR question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Cancelling AMEX Card - MR question

I am leaving my job and have to hand in my corporate Amex card in about a week. The MR account that I have attached to this card, I pay for ($75/yr). Just got a notification that it's due for renewal. Is the annual fee a forward fee for the year? If so I can try to transfer my points out first then call Amex and ask them to cancel my MR membership since I won't need it and take off the $75 charge. Just trying to figure out if I understand this correctly. Btw I only have 6992 points in the account, just don't want to lose them and certainly don't want to pay the $75 fee if I am giving up my card in a week. No idea why kind of a card if any I get at the new job.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by greendx
...Is the annual fee a forward fee for the year? If so I can try to transfer my points out first then call Amex and ask them to cancel my MR membership
Yes. In principle you could open a personal American Express account which would preserve the Membership Rewards balance after the Corporate card account is closed, but for only 7,000 points it's not worth the distraction. Before you transfer look to see if you have any additional "pending" points and ask customer service to post them (which they will do if you have paid the bill). In general, you can only transfer in increments of 1,000 which means you will orphan a few hundred points.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt, PC, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by greendx
I am leaving my job and have to hand in my corporate Amex card in about a week. The MR account that I have attached to this card, I pay for ($75/yr). Just got a notification that it's due for renewal. Is the annual fee a forward fee for the year? If so I can try to transfer my points out first then call Amex and ask them to cancel my MR membership since I won't need it and take off the $75 charge. Just trying to figure out if I understand this correctly. Btw I only have 6992 points in the account, just don't want to lose them and certainly don't want to pay the $75 fee if I am giving up my card in a week. No idea why kind of a card if any I get at the new job.
I am curious about the $75 fee. If you have an AMEX Gold card, you pay $150 annual fee for the card, but no fee to the MR. The Corp card has no annual fee (if you don't enroll it to MR), but MR charges $75 fee for the Corp card to enroll the corp card account to MR. Let's say, I have a MR account which comes from an AMEX gold card (which I had already paid $150/yr). If I want to enroll a corp card as the second account to the MR, MR will still charge the $75/yr for the association. Is that correct?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
1. There is no annual fee for participation in the program, except as otherwise provided below. The annual fee to enroll an Executive Corporate Card or Corporate Card is $75.
2. The $75 annual fee for each Executive Corporate Card or Corporate Card linked to a program account with other eligible AMEX charge Cards will be billed to your Card account on the enrollment date and thereafter billed automatically each year on the enrollment date anniversary; it is not refundable.
http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...spx#ANNUALFEES

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.