Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Should Pay Me

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AMEX Centurion (And All That Goes With It)
AMEX Should Pay Me

I literally have no qualms about fighting a restaurant/merchant over accepting American Express. I literally just sat in a Spanish restaurant for 2 hours in a stand off over accepting my American Express card. I stroll by a local restaurant (I am in Barcelona). They have the AMEX sign in their window. Before I sit down I ask if they accept the card, and in turn was repeatedly assured that indeed they do. Spend 120 Euros on a sub par meal and attempt to pay with my American Express card. Lo and behold, their AMEX terminal is broken but they'll gladly accept my Visa or Mastercard (which, incidentally, utilize the EXACT same terminal). I call them out on their bluff and state that I have no other credit cards. They suggest an ATM around the corner. I suggest they fix their terminal. They then pretend that they were wrong, they've never accepted American Express in the first place. I make a few references to Franco and call them out on their B.S. yet again. I then begin to leave as I tell them that I guess my meal was on the house, as they told me they took American Express when they didn't. They tell me they'll call the police. I welcomed the suggestion. I sat down awaiting the arrival of the authorities. An hour passes, no cops. It's clear to me they didn't call them (Spanish cops never waste an opportunity to harangue a foreigner). Then, seeing that I will not be broken, they suggest trying my American Express card once again, and holy harry potter, it worked! Instantly! Amazing!

It never ceases to amaze me the hassle some places go through to avoid taking the card. They want the American Express clientele, but they don't want the fees that go with them. Newsflash: travelers, and those who can afford expensive meals use the American Express card.

My loyalty to American Express is absurd, but I feel some slight victory over my would-be Spanish conquistadors.

Goodnight everyone.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: *G
That was really low of the restaurant. Good to hear that you fought for your rights.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:32 pm

Great story. A few thoughts:

1. I don't know if it'll do any good, but reporting the merchant's behavior to AMEX may be a good idea.

2. Is it against FT policy to publish the name of the restaurant? I'll be sure to avoid it next time I'm in Barcelona.

3. I imagine that your tip was about zero? ^
Old Jan 4, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Ah, this can be a problem in Europe. I remember about 1992 I went to Switzerland and used my then newly minted Platinum card at a restaurant. The next year I went back, presented my card for payment at the end of dinner and they said, sorry, we changed owners this year and no longer accept AMEX-- We're sorry we forgot to take the AMEX sign off the door.

I called AMEX Switzerland and gave them the merchant's name and address for falsely advertising AMEX but that was only after I was stuck paying cash for the meal.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat,Delta Plat, WN A-list & CP,SPG Plat, HiltonH DM,Hyatt Plat,Amex Centurion, Hertz Plat
cool story. Good fight.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 8:43 pm

So the ol' bait and switch is still alive and kicking in Spain. Good to know.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
So the ol' bait and switch is still alive and kicking in Spain. Good to know.
Also alive and well in the UK. Major optical retail chain. Amex listed as means of payment on their website. All of the staff said they didn't take Amex (only after I'd incurred the service) but finally the manager admitted they could, they just didn't like to.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, AMEX BA PP
Originally Posted by andrewpartyman
I make a few references to Franco
I really hope you did not say this; it saddens me to hear of such behaviour.

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 2011 at 8:03 am
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:07 am
BLV

Which restaurant? I'm in Barcelona since last Thursday. Have been paying Amex everywhere, as always. No problems yet, though leaving tomorrow.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
This may be OT but another thing that bugs me in Barcelona restaurants is telling Americans that the tip is not included when it is for Spaniards. Sometimes they have menus in English which state tips not included at the bottom so I always ask to see the menu in Spanish where no such warning exists. I just leave the tip portion blank and total without it.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:42 pm

Amex and acceptance

I work for Amex and I can tell the following about Amex merchants:

- If a merchant accepts American Express (display the signage) they cannot ask you to use another card nor can they ask you to pay more for using your Amex.

- If a merchant asks you to pay more or claim they can only take visa/mastercard they cannot legally do this. It's called 'suppression' and you should always report this to Amex.

- Any merchant that takes Amex has consequently entered into a contract with them to take their card. The merchant fee is higher but there are reasons for this and merchants are fully aware of the costs and benefits for taking Amex as a method of payment. The costs of this contract cannot be passed onto the customer and if there is a cost attached to a transaction on a credit card over a debit card, this cost must be the same for visa, mastercard and amex (eg £1.50 fee).

- Always report suppression to Amex. They take it seriously and that merchant will contacted by phone or in person very quickly by the Merchant services dept. They can lose their contract or be fined.

Hope this has answered any questions
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AmexKemp
I work for Amex ...
Welcome to Flyertalk.

In which country are you employed by American Express? This would be important because some of these policies may vary by market, or are superseded by legislation.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:44 pm

This is great. I want to book a trip to Barcelona now just to go to this restaurant and whip out my AMEX.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:00 pm

There have been a few times where a merchant that accepts AMEX has asked me to use a different card. Every time I let them know that their options are a) let me pay with AMEX b) sell nothing to me. So far none have chosen b).

As for businesses that don't accept AMEX or those that don't accept credit cards at all, I simply don't bother shopping there.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:57 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by AmexKemp
I work for Amex and I can tell the following about Amex merchants:
Your 'facts' are only so in certain countries. In my country, merchant fees are regularly passed onto the purchaser. The other statements are just not correct in my country.

Last edited by mia; Jan 6, 2011 at 7:37 am Reason: Shorter quotations are better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.