Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer credit limit to other Amex cards?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Transfer credit limit to other Amex cards?

Sorry if this is a little OT, but does anyone know whether it's possible to transfer a credit limit from one Amex card to another? I remember reading somewhere (recently) that it's possible, but when I called the CSR claimed they ended that policy a couple years ago. I ask because I have an old Blue card with a $30,000 limit, while my brand new SPG card has only a $2,000 limit (thanks credit crunch). I don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it (other than they want to help prevent old cards with huge limits from being utilized in this credit environment), but I wanted to hear others' experiences before I call back and ask for a supervisor.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mj12g
when I called the CSR claimed they ended that policy a couple years ago.
That's the answer I get. Used to be able to do it online. I used to transfer my limit between a Hilton and SPG card. Got caught with most of my credit on the Hilton card when they stopped the practice. Couldn't do anything about it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
as noted; they stopped doing online, do-it-yourself, CL transfers around the end of 2008 or somewhere in that timeframe. There are threads about this. If you know the correct number to call or correct person to speak to you can still have it done, but otherwise you're sol.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Yes, the policy was changed to disallow transferring credit balances. I have, however, applied for a credit line increase to one of my cards, been denied for the increase, but allowed to make a one-time credit line transfer from another card to the card for which I wanted the credit line increase. So in my experience, underwriting can do it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mj12g
...don't see any reason why they wouldn't do it...
Your Blue card's credit line has almost certainly been securitized and sold. The new line will also be sold, but the standards needed for the new security will be much different.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Your Blue card's credit line has almost certainly been securitized and sold. The new line will also be sold, but the standards needed for the new security will be much different.
So, you think that available credit, rather than actual balances owed, have been securitized and sold in the past?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 1:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Yes, in my understanding revolving credit lines are bundled and securitized. See this post with link to FDIC document:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11902408-post1129.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.