Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacing worn Centurion Card?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Replacing worn Centurion Card?

Hello All - anyone request a repalcement Cent Card yet? My card has seen better days and the magnetic strip has been rubbed bare at the ends and the white area with the signature is starting to wear thin. The Titanium cards are quality as I would normally need to get my Platinum replaced every 2 or 3 months.

If you got a replacement, did you have to send the other one back? Just curious...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:53 am

I have had multiple replacements - the magnetic strip routinely peels off. They send a padded envelope to return the old one, although I never bother.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That strip does peel off and I have needed to replace one card. This whole idea of Titanium is dumb.

All it does is set off the metal detector at the airport so that you need to take your wallet out of your pocket every time. I have requested a replacement in plastic but they have said that is not possible.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by monitor
That strip does peel off and I have needed to replace one card. This whole idea of Titanium is dumb.

All it does is set off the metal detector at the airport so that you need to take your wallet out of your pocket every time. I have requested a replacement in plastic but they have said that is not possible.
No idea what would happen, but an idea might be to lose/misplace your card while travelling outside the USA. Then call and ask for an overnight replacement - very well might be the plastic version, since they can't make the titaniums in that quick of a turnaround.

Of course, they might come back and give you a gold/green/plat temporarily until they can produce and ship the "real" metal one to your billing address...

Who knows - if anyone tries, let us know...
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by S.Bling
...ask for an overnight replacement - very well might be the plastic version,...
The one time I needed a replacement for a plastic card it was fabricated on Green card stock at a Travel Service Office and had a very short expiration date, 90 days if I recall correctly.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 9:23 am
jsq

Programs: ual, aa, co, delta, centurion
Originally Posted by monitor

a plastic centurion card (like some markets STILL issue) sure would be nice as an option for those who travel.

hopefully amex will get the hint.

regards,
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Okay - I am in Canada and they gave me one Titanium card and a second black plastic card with a different number on it so I can track spending. Also, for the supplementary card holder, theirs is plastic.

For those in the US - what is the supplementary card made of?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyz-kin
Okay - I am in Canada and they gave me one Titanium card and a second black plastic card with a different number on it so I can track spending. Also, for the supplementary card holder, theirs is plastic.

For those in the US - what is the supplementary card made of?
All are titanium.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 5:39 pm
BLV

very well might be the plastic version, since they can't make the titaniums in that quick of a turnaround.
I've had mine replaced once before (for the same reason) and I remember it being sent over right away. Might have been overnight or second business day. Either way, it was very quick.

Unfortunately, it looks like I have to replace it again. The signature strip is completely worn down.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:06 pm

I put a strip of Magic Tape over my signature on cards. Keeps my signature from getting smeared or worn. Of course, don't do this on the magnetic strip. Unfortunately, cards seem to need extra care and accessories these days, especially those with RFID chips (e.g., foil-lined card envelopes or wallets).

Originally Posted by BLV
Unfortunately, it looks like I have to replace it again. The signature strip is completely worn down.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:34 pm
mia

Originally Posted by smoothguitar
Keeps my signature from getting smeared or worn.
When is the last time you noticed a merchant comparing the signatures? I only experience it when I sign in a Chip & PIN venue (Europe).
Old Aug 2, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: Plat:US,DL (ex KL,AF,LX,LY) Gold:BA,VS (ex CO,UA).Plat.SPG,HGP Diam.HH. ICHG Plat RA. Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by mia
When is the last time you noticed a merchant comparing the signatures? I only experience it when I sign in a Chip & PIN venue (Europe).
It's been done in Europe well before the chip&PIN introduction.

I remember a few times in the 90s when various UK sales clerks questioned my signature on a slip since it didn't, in their expert opinion, match up closely enough to the signature on my card.

That goes for Visa, MC and Amex alike.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 3:36 pm
mia

It's been done in Europe well before the chip&PIN introduction.
I am sufficiently aged to have used cards without magnetic stripes and to wait patiently while a clerk looked to see if my card was listed in the pulp paper list of cancelled accounts .

However, in the swipe you own card era it's become very rare for an American clerk to ask to see the back of my card and compare the signature.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I am sufficiently aged to have used cards without magnetic stripes and to wait patiently while a clerk looked to see if my card was listed in the pulp paper list of cancelled accounts .

However, in the swipe you own card era it's become very rare for an American clerk to ask to see the back of my card and compare the signature.
American clerks don't check signatures as a rule. Whether you swipe it or they swipe it.

It's different in Europe; always has been.

Partly due to cultural differences; partly to liability reasons (in the USA whether you sign your real name or a smiley face, or not at all - the merchant doesn't care, he/she gets paid anyway unless your card was genuinely stolen.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.