Wiki Posts
Search

SPG AMEX Denied because of no activity?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SPG AMEX Denied because of no activity?

I just applied to an SPG Amex. I closed one down in Feb becasue I didn't want to pay the annual fee. I had a credit limit of 6000+ at that time. Since feb I have had 0 credit cards. (used only 120usd the full year I had the credit card)

They said I am high risk because I haven't had any activity. Can somebody help? What should I do?

Been living overseas for the past three years, so I have a local creditcard here in Japan.

Planning to go back next month for 3 weeks. Would be good if I got a credit card.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Apply for a different card?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumitani
I just applied to an SPG Amex. I closed one down in Feb becasue I didn't want to pay the annual fee. I had a credit limit of 6000+ at that time. Since feb I have had 0 credit cards. (used only 120usd the full year I had the credit card)

They said I am high risk because I haven't had any activity.
You are a high risk... of canceling the card (which has an annual fee that's waived only the first year) again before your next annual fee is due! That is enough to make AMEX very scared of you!

If you don't like annual fees, and don't want to keep credit cards open to help your credit history, for starters, don't apply for cards that have annual fees!

One of the worst things you can do for your credit history is close down all your cards. The next no-annual-fee card or two you get, at the very least, use just enough to keep it "active", pay it off in full every month, and keep it "forever". Only that way will card companies start "liking you" enough to let you apply for cards which have an annual fee which is waived for the first year only.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by fumitani

They said I am high risk because I haven't had any activity.
You are a high risk - and you posted this in the wrong forum.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I used my AMEX global transfer and they accepted my application. Approved Okay I will keep this card without cancelling now. I will pay the annual fee for a couple years and will cancel down the road after getting one without annual fees.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Why not get a Capital One card? No rewards, but also no annual fee and no foreign-usage fees...so you can use it without penalty in Japan to keep it active.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
Why not get a Capital One card? No rewards, but also no annual fee and no foreign-usage fees...so you can use it without penalty in Japan to keep it active.
I have three Japan based credit cards. I think I can live without applying for anymore in Japan.

I applied for the SPG Amex and the Chase Sapphire card. Let's see how that works out.

Chase Sapphire will open becasue of no annual fee.

Moderators: If you read this please move this to the AMEX section.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
You are a high risk - and you posted this in the wrong forum.
I understand that this is the way things are done in practice around here, but I can see why the "mistake" was made. I still have no idea myself why all AMEX cards are discussed in the Membership Rewards forum, even if they don't participate in that particular program.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:02 pm

It seems that members saying : this belongs to AMEX thread and not the "other credit card programs."

Last edited by best; Jul 28, 2010 at 2:58 pm
Old Jul 28, 2010, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ritz
you posted this in the wrong forum.
Actually, as I read the forum titles, I disagree. (Unless you meant it should have been posted in the Starwood forum. )

The forum you appear to be referring to is titled American Express Membership Rewards (not American Express network, American Express-issued cards, or American Express logo cards). The SPG Amex does not participate in the Membership Rewards points program.

Similarly, there's a forum for Diners Club Club Rewards, which in the US and some other countries is now simply a program and a card name (but not the network used by that program, as in those countries Diners Club cards are on the MasterCard network). So once again that forum is for a points program, not a card type.

Which gets us to this forum, which is called Other Credit Card Programs. SPG is a hotel points program, so it is a different program than Membership Rewards. So an SPG Amex is in another program, not in Membership Rewards. So IMHO it belongs in this forum (if the issue is regard the card itself; otherwise in the Starwood forum)!

IMHO, it's people who discuss SPG Amex in the American Express Membership Rewards forum who are in the wrong forum!!!

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 28, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.