Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cannot apply for Canadian Green Card online?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Cannot apply for Canadian Green Card online?

Question...

Why is it that AMEX allows you to apply for EVERY card except the original American Express Card online?

I called in and the rep said that he would have to MAIL me an application and i'd have to send it back -- isn't that a tad old school?

Are they trying to deter people from registering for the card?

One step up (the Gold card) offers the ability to apply online but carries a much higher annual fee ($130 vs. $55) -- maybe they are trying to push people towards that product?

P.S. I am in Canada.
Old May 20, 2010, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Yep. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head.

$130 > $55

https://www212.americanexpress.com/d...94RCRD&page=CM

Last edited by skofarrell; May 20, 2010 at 6:59 pm
Old May 20, 2010, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Gold or Green?

Thats unfortunate.

I'm signing up for MR (+$50) on top of the $55 annual fee, bringing it to $105 + taxes, which is very close to the $130 annual fee for the Gold card, so that is just inconvenient.

For a difference of $25, I would get a bunch of benefits which are useless to me since I'm not planning on travelling very often with this card.

Am I correct in saying that the Membership Rewards earn rate is the same for Green and Gold?

Are there any other notable benefits (besides the insurances bundled with the Gold) that would justify signing up for the Gold rather than the Green?

I will simply be using the card for all my purchases and would appreciate the customer service AMEX Canada is known for (including the purchase security).

Opinions anybody?
Old May 20, 2010, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's wrong with mailing in the form? It couldn't add more than a week to the process...
Old May 20, 2010, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Mailing it is fine, it just really seemed unusual as every credit card I've ever seen has offered the option of applying online.
Old May 20, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Is it possible to apply for the Gold and calling in to change it to the Green?
Old May 20, 2010, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
Is it possible to apply for the Gold and calling in to change it to the Green?
Nope.

My CIBC VISA card allows me to convert to any card in their line-up with a simple phone call.

AMEX insists you apply for each individual card that you want.
Old May 20, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SS20
Nope.

My CIBC VISA card allows me to convert to any card in their line-up with a simple phone call.

AMEX insists you apply for each individual card that you want.
What he means is go ahead and apply online for the Gold card, then once you get it, use it for a day or two then call in and ask to have the card downgraded to a green card. In the US, you can upgrade or downgrade your net30 cards pretty much at will. Amex will refund the difference in annual fees on a pro-rated basis if you downgrade.

You can decide if this strategy is easier than waiting a few days for the paper application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.