Wiki Posts
Search

Financial Review discussion [2009-2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2010, 6:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
The future cannot be predicted, only assumed.
Better information permits more accurate predictions. Even small improvements in modelling cardholder delinquencies or defaults can generate substantial incremental profits for a mass market card issuer.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
Originally Posted by skofarrell
In just about every case of a F/R there is cause.
There is rarely a time where being nosy is for good reason.
Old May 13, 2010, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Better information permits more accurate predictions. Even small improvements in modelling cardholder delinquencies or defaults can generate substantial incremental profits for a mass market card issuer.
There is a slight possibility that could be true, too bad the economy tanked, markets went rock bottom, and people lost almost everything.

Character, Capacity, and Collateral

Amex card members usual are judged from the get go for their goodness.

Only chaos and financial recklessness should be reviewed.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:07 am
mia

Character, Capacity, and Collateral

Amex card members usual are judged from the get go for their goodness.
They were not. American Express issued cards on the basis of self-declared household income, the same as other issuers. Reviews are one tool to detect cardholders who misrepresented their financial resources -or- whose circumstances have changed.
Old May 14, 2010, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
There is rarely a time where being nosy is for good reason.
If you look into the threads here and on other sites, you'll see that just about every case F/R is triggered by something. Unusually high charge volume on an Amex card, or something on their Experian report (significant increase in money owed to other creditors, missed payments, etc).

I get that people are frustrated when it happens, espically if it happens when you're on the road. What I don't get is the attitude of "you have no right to see it". Amex is a lender and they want to be sure they are going to be repaid. What is wrong with them wanting to see your financials? Should all the risk be with the lender?

Remember: It isn't personal, its just business.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:24 am

What I don't get is the attitude of "you have no right to see it". Amex is a lender and they want to be sure they are going to be repaid.
Agreed. I get the impression that there is a large segment of the population that feels that they are entitled to borrow someone else's money, and that this has to be made available cheaply and plentifully, without much questioning.

For those that take issue with AMEX financial reviews, or any other lender's demand for documentation: If you were to lend, say, $25,000, unsecured by any collateral, to someone you've never met, what sort of documentation would you require before you put your own money on the line?
Old May 14, 2010, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Okto
Agreed. I get the impression that there is a large segment of the population that feels that they are entitled to borrow someone else's money, and that this has to be made available cheaply and plentifully, without much questioning.
You've just summed up the last 2-3 years or so.

I think Amex goes a bit too far in the way they shut off your accounts, and make you feel "guilty until proven innocent". But something tells me that if you've gotten that far, they must be pretty worried about something. It can't be cheap for them to perform the F/R, they wouldn't do it blindly.

Last edited by skofarrell; May 14, 2010 at 12:19 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 14, 2010, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Okto
For those that take issue with AMEX financial reviews, or any other lender's demand for documentation: If you were to lend, say, $25,000, unsecured by any collateral, to someone you've never met, what sort of documentation would you require before you put your own money on the line?
Good question

I would process a full loan application and proceed with a financial review right then and there. And when the time comes for additional fund requests or credit line increases, another financial review would be valid.

But the FR's I am referring to, are random, not initial, and after the fact.

Those are the one's I have read about.
Old May 14, 2010, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good question

I would process a full loan application and proceed with a financial review right then and there. And when the time comes for additional fund requests or credit line increases, another financial review would be valid.

But the FR's I am referring to, are random, not initial, and after the fact.

Those are the one's I have read about.
Nothing about a F/R is random.
Old May 14, 2010, 5:02 pm
mia

Nothing about a F/R is random.
As a matter of good statistical practice American Express would need to perform a number of truly random Financial Reviews to validate their standard credit approval models.
Old May 14, 2010, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
As a matter of good statistical practice American Express would need to perform a number of truly random Financial Reviews to validate their standard credit approval models.
That I can understand to a certain extent. Pay stubs should be sufficient unless the card member is self employed. Taxes seem a little extreme.
Old May 14, 2010, 6:58 pm
mia

Pay stubs should be sufficient...
I don't think American Express has someone wearing a green eyeshade sitting in the back room looking at income documentation. Requesting the W-2 data directly from the IRS not only eliminates the possibility of tampering, but provides the information in a standardized digital format to facilitate electronic processing.
Old May 14, 2010, 7:02 pm

I have wondered how much a persons age factors into lending decisions. After all statistical life expectancy is as predictable as a lot of other factors. Even though this practice is illegal do we all really think banks would not take age into consideration? And if we knew for sure they did how would we react?

Last edited by dave7250; May 15, 2010 at 8:13 am
Old May 14, 2010, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by dave7250
I have wondered how much a persons age factors into lending decisions. After all statistical life expectancy is as predictable as a lot of other factors. Even though this practice is illegal do we all really think banks would not take age into consideration? And if we knew for sure they did how would we react?

PS This thread is way off topic. How about closing it mia.
I am sure they do in some way, but as you know it is illegal...
Old May 14, 2010, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think American Express has someone wearing a green eyeshade sitting in the back room looking at income documentation. Requesting the W-2 data directly from the IRS not only eliminates the possibility of tampering, but provides the information in a standardized digital format to facilitate electronic processing.
It would be less intrusive if they could request income verification from the employer directly rather than the IRS if need be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.