Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Republic Bank Program is Discontinued

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy Card, CO Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Amex Centurion and its perks...
First Republic Bank Program is Discontinued

I was offered a few years back and accepted a no fee Platinum Card. I received word yesterday that Amex discontinued the program with First Republic but was allowing the members to keep the accounts, minus the FRB logo on the card and of course now paying the annual fee charged to all Platinum cards. They are also removing the 5k annual additional points.

I tried to get an explanation as to why the program was discontinued by both Amex and FRB executives just say they do not know.

FRB clients are generally high end worth so I do not understand why Amex would cut that relationship.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, United Silver
Never Offered

Originally Posted by bas5838
I was offered a few years back and accepted a no fee Platinum Card. I received word yesterday that Amex discontinued the program with First Republic but was allowing the members to keep the accounts, minus the FRB logo on the card and of course now paying the annual fee charged to all Platinum cards. They are also removing the 5k annual additional points.

I tried to get an explanation as to why the program was discontinued by both Amex and FRB executives just say they do not know.

FRB clients are generally high end worth so I do not understand why Amex would cut that relationship.
I'm not sure that this is new. When I joined FRB last year, I was offered an Amex Plat, at $395/year and with no FRB logo. . .
Old Apr 10, 2010, 3:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bas5838
...received word yesterday that Amex discontinued the program
Most programs end because they do not achieve their profit objectives.

How do you know that this decision was made by American Express rather than by First Republic or by mutual agreement?

I know that Bank of America agreed to sell First Republic Bank last October. Has the transaction closed? The website make it appear that Bank of America is still the owner, but it may lag. Perhaps new owners are unwilling to continue subsidizing the annual fees?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by mia
Most programs end because they do not achieve their profit objectives.

How do you know that this decision was made by American Express rather than by First Republic or by mutual agreement?

I know that Bank of America agreed to sell First Republic Bank last October. Has the transaction closed? The website make it appear that Bank of America is still the owner, but it may lag. Perhaps new owners are unwilling to continue subsidizing the annual fees?
This.

I dont believe the transaction has closed, yet. However, the FRB branch across the street from my office in Beverly Hills just finished redo'ing a lot of their signage and other materials in the last week or two.

I'm guessing the new ownership group, in the conditions of the purchase agreement, had a right to cancel or continue the amex program, and decided to cancel it to save costs.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
the sale is final, and it is possible since they were purchased by a private equity company, they may have decided credit cards are not profitable enough to continue offering. there are enough amex plat co-branded charge cards to go around. goldman sachs still has one, if ya want a wealth management stamp on it.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
may have decided credit cards are not profitable enough
OR they may launch a card program with a different issuer (such as Bank of America's FIA) which will generate more revenue for the bank.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:58 pm

Reasoning behind termination of FRB/AMEX relationship

I was in a meeting a few months ago with our Private Banker on unrelated business when I inquired why the program was being terminated. Apparently it was AMEX who cast the first stone by not approving applications for very qualified and creditworthy individuals. If you can recall a time right before AMEX converted to a bank holding corporation (in order to receive government aid) they were only hours away from not being able to able to approve client charges and they were actually paying certain customers to close their accounts. Even with a 20K a month spending history all my charge accounts with amex were capped at 1K each. This isn't the kind of company that FRB does business with.

References:
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009...fx6084293.html
Old May 26, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
FRB wasn't exactly an innocent victim either...

Merrill bought them and BofA dropped them...

There must have been a good reason for that...

Other co-branded Platinums are still around...

Ameriprise, Goldman Sachs, HSBC....
Old May 28, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, United Silver
Same

Originally Posted by fflier_9999
I'm not sure that this is new. When I joined FRB last year, I was offered an Amex Plat, at $395/year and with no FRB logo. . .
+1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.