Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer AMEX to Mexicana For OneWorld Awards?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Transfer AMEX to Mexicana For OneWorld Awards?

Has anyone ever tried transferring their AMEX MR to Mexicana for OneWorld awards on AA,BA or CX? I can't seem to find much info regarding them online. Anything would be appreciated
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No experience, but two thoughts:

1. Suggest you read this thread which summarizes my understanding of Mexicana's dual programs which may make it unattractive to transfer for partner redemptions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...demptions.html

2. You can transfer to BA and redeem for travel on all OneWorld carriers, with the important exception of AA on USA-UK routes. You can also transfer to IB.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Be careful with the IB option. They do redemptions based on trip distance and the long ones - especially in the premium cabin - are pretty poor values.

I made a chart that translates MR points to IB redemptions here. Useful as the IB table is a much different scale than just regular miles and the conversion ratio is strange, too (1400:100).
Old Mar 11, 2010, 12:32 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
mia: that seems to have been eliminated with the entry into OW. Redemptions now could ostensibly be attractive, but I've yet to see a table. I will try to do some research and post back.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Assuming Frequenta = MexicanaGo, there are a couple reasonable options, especially compared with BA's chart:

http://www.mexicanago.com/en/page/al...epensas-aereas
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by troyb
Assuming Frequenta = MexicanaGo
I don't believe this is true. If you go to Mexicana's website there is no longer any mention of Frecuenta. When you look at the MexicanaGo website Frecuenta is listed as a partner, but American Express is not. The site shows the transfer rate from Frecuenta to MexicanaGo as 1000 = 500.

My understanding is:

=1,000 Membership Rewards
=1,000 Frecuenta
== 500 MexicanaGo

I hope to be proven wrong, but it appears Mexicana has retained Frecuenta as a buffer between outside programs and MexicanaGo, and there is no direct transfer from Membership Rewards to MexicanaGo.

Last edited by mia; Mar 11, 2010 at 6:09 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mia
My understanding is:

=1,000 Membership Rewards
=1,000 Frecuenta
== 500 MexicanaGo
That is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.